Photo

Rolltris - 3rd place ABBUC SW Contest 2013

21 replies to this topic

#1 MaPa OFFLINE  

MaPa

Dragonstomper

• 909 posts

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 AM

Hi all. Another year of ABBUC Software contest is over where our little game ended 3rd. So now we can share this game with you and of course as usual with the source code attached.

This time we have something more too... it's 5200 version of this game! (thanks to Aking from this forum, who asked me if I would do 5200 version. At first I did not even think about it, but then I searched some info about the differences and started porting...)

This release is a little different from the ABBUC one. There is added logo at the beginning and fixed small bug about new hi-score text on the game over screen (when you left the screen with the text displyed, it would stay there printed, but not blinking, even if you will not do new hiscore).

Have fun!

rolltris1.png rolltris3.png rolltris4.png

Attached Files

Edited by MaPa, Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:31 AM.

#2 matosimi OFFLINE  

matosimi

Moonsweeper

• 318 posts

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:30 AM

superb game!

#3 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• 7,127 posts
  • High Score Club New Season Starting

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:41 AM

Reall nice game MaPa, Rolltris is a neat idea, great looking and sounding too :thumbsup:

How could it be improved...

Add a pause key!

the only issue I see is that you cannot really recover once you get in trouble; in regular Tetris good players can often save themselves by moving the pieces at the top, with Rolltris you don't really get time to move all the rows so once you go wrong about half way up you've pretty much had it. Not sure if there is anything that can be done here as it's just how it is.

Perhaps add a sound effects option though the tune is really good. More Tunes perhaps too ;)

And the big question "Would we play it in the HSC?" Definitely :thumbsup:

#4 MrFish OFFLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 3,685 posts

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:01 AM

This time we have something more too... it's 5200 version of this game! (thanks to Aking from this forum, who asked me if I would do 5200 version. At first I did not even think about it, but then I searched some info about the differences and started porting...)

You should post this up on the 5200 forum, so people over there will know about it.

#5 Xuel OFFLINE  

Xuel

Dragonstomper

• 595 posts

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:29 AM

The music is superb! The colorful hi-res intro graphics are truly impressive. Great game!

#6 twh/f2 OFFLINE  

twh/f2

Dragonstomper

• 605 posts

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:31 AM

This was next to The Hunt my favourite game.

Thank you very much MaPa and PG. Awesome work! You guys rock!

#7 ProWizard ONLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 4,382 posts
  • Into Stampede

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:36 AM

Reall nice game MaPa, Rolltris is a neat idea, great looking and sounding too :thumbsup:

How could it be improved...

Add a pause key!

the only issue I see is that you cannot really recover once you get in trouble; in regular Tetris good players can often save themselves by moving the pieces at the top, with Rolltris you don't really get time to move all the rows so once you go wrong about half way up you've pretty much had it. Not sure if there is anything that can be done here as it's just how it is.

Perhaps add a sound effects option though the tune is really good. More Tunes perhaps too ;)

And the big question "Would we play it in the HSC?" Definitely :thumbsup:

A suggestion to that would be a variation in the game. When you clear 20 lines, you start with a new fresh field or so.

The new field could have a few obstacles already there... and then you would need to clear 30 lines or so...

#8 Tezz OFFLINE  

Tezz

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:20 PM

Professional and superbly presented as always from Mapa and PG. A good twist on the theme. Nice idea and great game :thumbsup:

#9 miker OFFLINE  

miker

Stargunner

• 1,764 posts
  • Stay Atari!

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:27 PM

Great one! Must get more familiar with controls. And cool group name! :)

#10 adam242 OFFLINE  

adam242

Dragonstomper

• 841 posts

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:15 PM

This is stellar!

Been playing it on and off today, and it's great fun - requires totally different instincts than Tetris. Thanks breathing new life into this genre.

How does your work always look far more colorful than one would think possible for an 8-bit, MaPa???

#11 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 2,762 posts

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:43 PM

Great new implementation of the Tetris concept.  Beautiful game!  I am still having a little trouble 'wrapping my mind around' the concept, it's so different.  Very challenging, I think after I get out of the 'throw the !@#$% joystick' frustration that I will spend some SERIOUS time with this one :)

I do agree that a pause key would be nice.

Thanks again!

-K

#12 popmilo OFFLINE  

popmilo

Stargunner

• 1,368 posts

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:51 AM

How does your work always look far more colorful than one would think possible for an 8-bit, MaPa???

Agreed, great use of color changes and PMs I guess :)

Did anyone else notice how good that colored hires MPG logo at the start looks like ?

Great job Mapa and PG !

#13 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• 7,127 posts
  • High Score Club New Season Starting

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:06 AM

Agreed, great use of color changes and PMs I guess :)

Did anyone else notice how good that colored hires MPG logo at the start looks like ?

Great job Mapa and PG !

Yes, I did a double-take on this too, the title screen is pretty amazing for just 8-bits :thumbsup:

#14 atx4us OFFLINE  

atx4us

Moonsweeper

• 428 posts

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 AM

Congratulations!  The graphics and music are excellent.  The title screen looks fantastic.

Is it possible that you create a standard Tetris game play version?  And as therealbountybob stated, some sound effects would also be a nice addition.

Edited by atx4us, Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:01 AM.

#15 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,754 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:53 PM

AWESOME!!!!!

#16 MrFish OFFLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 3,685 posts

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 PM

In this case, it looks like "GPRIOR 0" and P/M graphics or'ing with playfield...

#17 MaPa OFFLINE  

MaPa

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 909 posts

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:20 AM

Yes, it's PRIOR0 mode. Like in our intro New Years Miracle from 2009 (see signature) where the strip is done the same way.

#18 MrFish OFFLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 3,685 posts

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:27 AM

Yes, it's PRIOR0 mode. Like in our intro New Years Miracle from 2009 (see signature) where the strip is done the same way.

Yea, I remember that demo. I was thinking at the time that you and PG might be gearing up to eventually use the idea in a Tetris type game.

Nice job, to both of you, congratulations, and thanks for sharing! The idea has been talked about here and there, but finally someone has put the effort and time to pull it off.

#19 Creature XL OFFLINE  

Creature XL

Dragonstomper

• 903 posts

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:26 AM

Yea, I remember that demo. I was thinking at the time that you and PG might be gearing up to eventually use the idea in a Tetris type game.

Nice job, to both of you, congratulations, and thanks for sharing! The idea has been talked about here and there, but finally someone has put the effort and time to pull it off.

So you missed out on my NYD2013 contribution which uses PRIOR0 over soft sprites :)

#20 MrFish OFFLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 3,685 posts

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:04 AM

So you missed out on my NYD2013 contribution which uses PRIOR0 over soft sprites :)

No, I hadn't seen that one actually. I was probably preoccupied with "Chicks on Chips".

I didn't mean that nobody has used "GPRIOR 0" to any good effect before though. I was talking specifically about using it for a Tetris game, Rolltris being the only one at this point in time as far as I know.

Edited by MrFish, Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:06 AM.

#21 slx ONLINE  

slx

Dragonstomper

• 874 posts

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:57 PM

Great idea, will definitely give it more time, although normal Tetris-'reflexes' don't work at all.
Thanks!

#22 thegamezmaster OFFLINE  

thegamezmaster

River Patroller

• 2,319 posts

Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:03 PM

Thank you! Great work!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users