IGNORED

Dev War - 11th Place ABBUC SW Contest 2013

hatchcliff

Congratulations to José and Xuel on their win. I just played a few games of X:8 and it is superb.
Thanks to everyone who submitted programs, I’m really looking forward to trying them all.

Here is Dev War for download (Atari Basic program in English and German versions):

Dev War

Dev War.pdf
Dev War.ATR

You might like to try defeating the Devs for the rewarding sight of the freighters returning to the skies above Palladium 5. Very few people in the universe have ever witnessed this - in fact I'm the only one as far as I am aware.

On second thoughts, your time would probably be better spent playing X:8 or one of the other excellent games.

Thanks also to the folks at ABBUC for running a great contest.

Best Regards

Cliff
  • Like 7

Controls are hard, as you always have to find a balance between accelerating and braking, but it´s absolutely fair, which makes it a really good and challenging test for ones skills. Definitely must be played on the original hardware, it´s only half the fun with an emulator.

Thank you all very much for your feedback!

... at first I struggled but then I realised you can hold fire in and beat the game fairly easily...

I'm relieved to hear that someone else has managed to save the planet - welcome to the elite. :thumbsup: I tried to set up the game so that it could be solved fairly quickly, but I knew the controls were a little awkward and was beginning to wonder if I had inadvertently made it too difficult.

Definitely must be played on the original hardware, it´s only half the fun with an emulator.

I have the same feeling. The movement of the players seems slightly erratic on the emulator, but I don't know why this should be. I use the excellent Altirra 2.30, and it runs everything else smoothly.

Thank you all very much for your feedback!

I'm relieved to hear that someone else has managed to save the planet - welcome to the elite. :thumbsup: I tried to set up the game so that it could be solved fairly quickly, but I knew the controls were a little awkward and was beginning to wonder if I had inadvertently made it too difficult.

More rounds would be great, perhaps vary the A.I. patterns a bit more, if it comes to it 3 lives and some more variations, a couple of difficulty levels and you have a classic game. I liked the full use of the screen and the graphics too. You could consider limiting the players firing, making it more of a missile that takes time to launch giving a bit of suspense and skill rather than holding in fire as it is (perhaps do this on a different round)... nothing that several months of programming can't achieve :grin:

incidentally I had been working on an end of level docking feature on my game (liked this feature in Spy Hunter) ;)

• Like 1