IGNORED

Involvement / New Blood / The TI-Faire

Omega-TI

Many people, myself included, were not able to attend the Chicago TI-Faire due to various reasons. Just a few reasons could include; time, work , family, health or financial reasons. All of this got me thinking...

1) In an effort to get 'new blood', or actually 'old blood' back into the fold, we could try to "mine" old TI-Newsletters. Call some of those old telephone numbers listed in the newsletters. Sure, 90% of them will probably be disconnected, but for 10 minutes of your time, you might be able to hook up with another LOCAL current or former TI-User. Some of those numbers were for the club presidents and BBS operators, the people who knew the TI and were involved... the kind of people we want now. What do we have to lose? Who knows, at the very least it might be a source old TI gear that they might want to dump... and at a good price too!

What might next years get together be like with an infusion of new and knowledgeable people? Make a few LOCAL calls, if you connect with a TI-USER, let them know about this forum on Atari Age.

2) In an effort to generate more fun and interest, sub-groups in geographical regions could also come together for a mini-fair or just to B.S. once or maybe even twice a year. For example Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA had great groups. Seattle, WA, Tacoma, WA and Olympia, WA also had great groups. I think it's possible that all of them could come together "SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE" for only an hour's drive once or twice a year. This could also build more excitement for the Annual TI-Faire. So, the number you call might lead to others calling their old TI friends too. Heck, the result of one telephone call may someday work into a monthly TI group, you'll never know, unless you try.

3) This might offend someone (if it does I'm sorry), but does the TI-Faire always have to be in Chicago? Could it not be like the Olympics and travel around from year to year. This would give some time-strapped or financially less off people a chance to attend a Fair. It would also give some others a reason to attend, if the venue was not the same every year.

Edited by Kevan

Kevan,

The Chicago TI Faire is held in Chicago because it's sponsored by the Chicago TI Users Group.

There have been Faires that were sponsored by other user groups, so there is no reason that another user group, or group of individuals couldn't put on their own Faire.

It might even be worthwhile to initially combine the "new" faire with some other vintage computer clubs to gain exposure and increase the chance of draw.

Ernie

• Like 1

The last thing I want to do is start cold calling people and bugging the hell out of them.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. I guess one could call only the people they PERSONALLY knew. Or how about this... a postcard in the mail with the web address, that would not be so intrusive.

I'm a "the glass is half-full" kind of person, my default is not negative, so thanks for pointing out that it might bother people.

Kevan,

The Chicago TI Faire is held in Chicago because it's sponsored by the Chicago TI Users Group.

There have been Faires that were sponsored by other user groups, so there is no reason that another user group, or group of individuals couldn't put on their own Faire.

It might even be worthwhile to initially combine the "new" faire with some other vintage computer clubs to gain exposure and increase the chance of draw.

Ernie

I know that's the same reason other old computer fairs are held in certain cities.

What other TI groups are still active?

One of the problems on other machines is users gradually shifted to whichever club was still active and location didn't matter so much after the internet popped up.

• 2 weeks later...

TI Club Austria is still active and meeting monthly (tonight for example). We will be hosting the European TI Meeting 2014 in Vienna as well.
We have gained members by presenting our User Group on Retro Faires and other Vintage Home Computer Events, by getting in contact with people that sell TI 99 stuff on ebay Austria or other Austrian Forums.