IGNORED

Rally - WIP

Ed Fries

Portland Retro Gaming Expo got me fired up to work on something new so I put this together over the last month or so. Still lots of work to do but I've always liked Rally-X and it seemed like lots of people started working on one but no one had come close to completing it for the 2600 so here's my attempt.

This is a little over 2K. The sounds are borrowed from Halo2600 right now... AI needs work. Need more enemy cars. Need score and fuel. Spends too much time in vertical blank occasionally, etc, etc... But even with one enemy car it's pretty playable right now. Can you collect all 8 flags?

Shouldn't be a problem to fit the final version in 4K and stick to original hardware limitations.

Please check it out and send me any feedback you have.

Thanks,

-EdF

rally.bin

post-26522-0-70373400-1383861580_thumb.gif

• Like 26

Piss everybody off and turn it into Radar Rat Race:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRkON9XTOk

And remember to add the annoying repetitive off-key Three Blind Mice tune that makes you want to leap into a wood chipper after playing for less than 5 minutes. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I can hardly believe this. Rally X is constantly mentioned on these boards as a game people would love to see happen. Finally, Ed comes along and gives us an incredible work in progress that's already better than I thought we'd ever see. Yet, for every day since the initial post, this thread degenerates into a conversation about a stupid clone? I mean no disrespect to anyone here; maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but it just seems rude to me.

I can hardly believe this. Rally X is constantly mentioned on these boards as a game people would love to see happen. Finally, Ed comes along and gives us an incredible work in progress that's already better than I thought we'd ever see. Yet, for every day since the initial post, this thread degenerates into a conversation about a stupid clone? I mean no disrespect to anyone here; maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but it just seems rude to me.

Just about everything is rude on the Internet. If you say that you like someone's hat, they'll be offended that you didn't admire their shoes. Just be glad that AtariAge lets us joke around and be free instead of clamping down on every thread like those web sites out there moderated by fussy little anal-retentive control freaks.

• Like 1

KevinMos3,

Programmers like to talk about programming; as a result this thread now has two 4-way scrolling prototype games for the 2600! :)

Why not add something constructive about programming or a related game idea? :)

I haven't tried it out yet but I'm really looking forward to it when I get the chance. Rally X is a great game and it would also be nice to see the scrolling tech hit the 2600.

Maybe you could change the setting to Master Chief driving a Warthog... :P

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Here's the latest version. I slowed the movement down quite a bit so that it's much closer to the original game. That makes it easier to play but I upped the number of enemy cars to 3 so that's made it pretty tough again. I also tweaked the colors to look better on actual hardware, redid the enemy AI, and fixed numerous bugs including a bad bug that was causing the whole screen to flicker occasionally. Still tons of work to do but hopefully you'll see the progress in this build. As always, any feedback is appreciated.

-EdF

Rally 131114.bin

• Like 7

Getting better.. The speed is closer to the orginal (I compared it to the original on Mame) The 3 cars were a challenge though it seemed they were trying to drive on top of each other sometimes.

Again I'm glad finally someone is working on this classic game. Rally-X was one of my favorites in the arcade and I wondered why Atari or any other company never tried to make a 2600 port.

Btw are you planning on keeping this a 4K game or bigger? I'd like to see a port with everything the arcade version had, like the challenge levels, more cars and faster speeds on higher levels..

Edited by WildBillTX

Here's a small update. A few more bug fixes, plus I use vblank to mask the left and right edges of the map for a cleaner look.

In some cases I use INC and DEC to turn vblank on and off. The only reason this works is because the low nibble of CXM1P always seems to be 1. I have no idea if this is guaranteed to be true on every model of the 2600 but it works fine in Stella and on my six switch with a harmony card. Anyone know why this value is 1 and whether I can count on it being 1?

Rally 131121.bin

• Like 6