IGNORED

SVPI

Matej

SVPI - Serial Videoboard PI

SVPI will be cheapest graphics and audio upgrade for Atari 8bit.

Do you remember XEP80?

http://wiki.strotmann.de/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=The%20XEP80

What about to do similar with RaspberryPI (model A or model B)?

Atari Joystick port-> joy cable to serial port on Pi -> RaspberryPI serial PINs

raspberry-pi-model-a.png

Here is RPi serial port tutorial:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection

There is TV out plus build in HDMI connector...

There are also 1000s of nice RPi case designs...

Price is very good starts at 25USD or 20Euro.

We need make minimal linux DISTRO on SD with own graphic serial client (TERM).

Serial client on PI (TERM)>

320x200x4096colors

640x480x256

one vga text mod

one svga text mod

I think there can be 16channels wavetable (128 samples in bank sampled MIDI bank - software will call sample and PI will plays it play "sample 64, time 0,3" will plays sample nuber 64 from bank for 3 seconds) for

audio upgrade.

Or term can be modified (softVBXE???) ATARI emulator with serial connection.

http://atari800.sourceforge.net/

http://atari800.sourceforge.net/features.html

So we will connect real A800 to second upgraded atari.

On model B there is internet connector so we can use it to connect to internet or make A800 network for multiplayer games (strategy, rpg) etc etc...

And for using more joys on A800 we can make multijoy for 2 joys for free Atari joyport. (joystick doubler)

Edited by Matej
  • Like 1

Plus side: would be nice as a hobby project...

Question is - what is left of Atari if you hook up something like that to it ?

You could hook up any 8bit computer to PC and draw stuff in 3d using pixel shaders - but why would you ? :)

Imho that is why cpu accelerators and different interfaces are only "serious" and asked-for products out there...

Because they leave the spirit of original computer intact.

If it would be possible to make some kind of auto-switch device to allow the use of one monitor, that would be best. A joystick XEP-80 type device would be awesome, but, I would like to see some way of connecting one monitor to the computer, in a CLEAN, UN-obtrusive way.

I love the VBXE device, but I don't want to make holes in my 1200XL. I would love to find a way to keep these things all internal, and NOT need to modify the plastic case. These plastics are getting more difficult to find every day.

Now, (In my dreams), we will soon be able to 3D Print plastics, (even 1450XLD), and then it wouldn't matter as much about making holes in our classic computers.

I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say. Let's not destroy our classics, until there is a way to accurately re-produce the plastics for these classic computers. (And save our un-modified originals).

-K

Edited by Kyle22

I've fooled around with a R-Pi. Not sure if they updated it but out of the box, it didn't come with a SD card or OS. I don't think it even came with a power supply! The video was composite or HDMI which are too old and too rare respectively IMHO. After I got the OS installed on mine I would only give it a weak endorsement. With keyboard and mouse, probably spent over $80 to get it running. What I got was an 800 MHz ARM system which is slow to the point of being obsolete at this stage. Ended up giving it to my 40 year old son to play with. I haven't asked him lately but I think he grew tired of it in a day or two. I'll check with him and see if it is still around.

Once again, just opinion: You can pick up a pretty nice laptop for $80 that will include everything from mouse pad to keyboard to display. If someone insists on typing on an Atari, you can just boot a terminal program and null modem to the laptop running Hyperterm and get 80 columns. Same laptop will probably have wireless connection so you could go to your local WiFi hotspot and leech everything ever written for an 8 bit in a matter of minutes, then use the laptop with either SIO2PC or an emulator to run it.

I'm not trying to say the R-Pi suggestion won't work or produce reasonable results. I am suggesting that most people want the most bang for their buck. Right now it is really competitive with used Intel/AMD boxes in the lead. You could come up with the greatest suggestion ever for an Atari peripheral and still have to be better and cheaper then that 1.5 gHz laptop with 40 gig drive. This is the toughest challenge in the Atari world at the moment. Limited dollars chasing many options.