IGNORED

Kryoflux Users here?

Larry

Just ordered a Kryoflux board. One person mentioned in the recent "why single density..." thread that he used one. Any other users here? Any tips for a newbie? I *think* that the Windows GUI only supports reading to an XFD image at the current time. We have lots of choices to READ disks, but it sure would be nice to be able to WRITE them back out. Probably can do it now with the command line (lack of) interface. ;)

-Larry

I have a Kryoflux also just recently got it all put together in a 2 bay scsi encloser. I 5.25 and 1 3.5 in floppy drives. I have tried to backup an St disk but I was old by others that it did not work. I need to sit down and play with this to figure out how it works. There are how to forums over at the kryoflux website.

Robert

• 2 years later...

I started this a couple of years ago, so presumably by now there are now some users.

Any success stories by now? I'd love to hear of someone using it effectively.

I'm aware of Phaeron's utility and will look into that later. Right now, I'm mainly interested in using the GUI to image my protected software, then I'll tackle some more advanced options.

-Larry

I have a KryoFlux and I wanted to image all my ST disks and my small collection of copy protected Atari 8-bit disks (I've already imaged the unprotected ones via APE). But because of lack of time I never tried the KryoFlux with Atari 8-bit disks. And I'm way behind with imaging my Atari ST disks :(

Robert

I have a KryoFlux and I wanted to image all my ST disks and my small collection of copy protected Atari 8-bit disks (I've already imaged the unprotected ones via APE). But because of lack of time I never tried the KryoFlux with Atari 8-bit disks. And I'm way behind with imaging my Atari ST disks :(

Robert

Well, its a good start! ;-) Do you use the CLI or GUI?

Got my system working yesterday: Rev D board powered by the USB and a 5-1/4" Chinon (XF551) drive powered by an external 5/12 VDC power supply. But when I use the Atari 8-bit setting, I get all "yellow" blocks for the 40 tracks of an unprotected disk. I'm sure I'll get that all worked out since I'm still in the early "learning" phase of this project.

Quick edit -- A slight system improvement might be to use the whole XF551 drive, but with the controller cable from the board removed and replaced with the ribbon cable from the Kryoflux.

-Larry

• Like 1

Well, its a good start! ;-) Do you use the CLI or GUI?

I used the GUI but it is already quite a while I imaged a few ST disks and those were unprotected.

I just used an old PC power supply and bare drive connected. I still must put it in some kind of housing preferably with both a 3.5" and 5.25" drive as now it is cumbersome to quickly use it.

Robert

I use Kryoflux for all flippy disks that I dump since I have not been able to get SuperCard Pro to correctly dump the B side of a flippy disk.

Here are the command-line settings I use with a flippy-modified Panasonic drive for doing double-sided disks:

DTC.exe -p -fGameName\track_ -g2 -y -i0 -i2 -k2 -b-8

Please note that the above command only works with a hardware-modified drive so don't try it on a non-modified drive.

For a single-sided disks I would assume you'd use:

DTC.exe -p -fGameName\track_ -g0 -y -i0 -i2 -k2

I was told by the Kryoflux guys that the -i2 is important to them as it adds additional information to the dump. So I continue to use it just in case they ever decide they want to do something with the hundreds of disk dumps I have made.

The output of the above DTC command is a so-called stream file/directory (what I've been calling a flux-level dump). You can then convert that into ATR, ATX, etc. by using phaeron's a8rawconv tool:

a8rawconv GameName\track_00.0.raw GameName.atx

a8rawconv GameName\track_00.0.raw GameName.atr

It's really important to make that first dump count since the media may or may not allow for another given its age.

If anyone does Kryoflux dumps of original disks, please consider sending them to me so I can incorporate them into the Atari Software Preservation Initiative. Even if it's software already in the list, they are extremely useful for verification of existing dumps we have.

Edited by Farb
  • Like 3

Thanks very much for the info! It will definitely be helpful in this project. It also looks like I will need to mod a drive for this endeavor.

I have not yet completed a "stream" so I'm wondering if you get a CRC or some type of bit stream verification value? Or is there another tool that you would recommend?

BTW, I've also started working on another archiving method to produce images using the Freezer + Super Archiver.

-Larry

• 4 months later...

I use Kryoflux for all flippy disks that I dump since I have not been able to get SuperCard Pro to correctly dump the B side of a flippy disk.

Here are the command-line settings I use with a flippy-modified Panasonic drive for doing double-sided disks:

DTC.exe -p -fGameName\track_ -g2 -y -i0 -i2 -k2 -b-8

Please note that the above command only works with a hardware-modified drive so don't try it on a non-modified drive.

For a single-sided disks I would assume you'd use:

DTC.exe -p -fGameName\track_ -g0 -y -i0 -i2 -k2

I was told by the Kryoflux guys that the -i2 is important to them as it adds additional information to the dump. So I continue to use it just in case they ever decide they want to do something with the hundreds of disk dumps I have made.

The output of the above DTC command is a so-called stream file/directory (what I've been calling a flux-level dump). You can then convert that into ATR, ATX, etc. by using phaeron's a8rawconv tool:

a8rawconv GameName\track_00.0.raw GameName.atx

a8rawconv GameName\track_00.0.raw GameName.atr

It's really important to make that first dump count since the media may or may not allow for another given its age.

If anyone does Kryoflux dumps of original disks, please consider sending them to me so I can incorporate them into the Atari Software Preservation Initiative. Even if it's software already in the list, they are extremely useful for verification of existing dumps we have.

Farb I'm a little fuzzy on this - let's say you have a disk that was notched so you're trying to dump side1 and side2 as separate ATR/X files.

Should I use the double sided command you listed above on side1 only, or should I used the single sided command you listed and just flip the disk for side2 and run it again?

NOTE: I do have a modified floppy to handle flippy :)

Thx!

Edited by tuf

Should I use the double sided command you listed above on side1 only, or should I used the single sided command you listed and just flip the disk for side2 and run it again?

NOTE: I do have a modified floppy to handle flippy :)

Since you have a modded drive, you should put the disk into the drive with side A facing up and use the double-sided command (the one with the -b-8). Kryoflux will read both sides automatically.

Since you have a modded drive, you should put the disk into the drive with side A facing up and use the double-sided command (the one with the -b- 8). Kryoflux will read both sides automatically.

Ok, I've done that and it seemed to work fine. Now I'm trying to create two ATX files for side 1 and 2, so I do the following:

a8rawconv disk1\track_00.0.raw disk1a.atx

a8rawconv -r disk1\track_00.0.raw disk1b.atx

Should that do it?

Working! The trick was using the .1 files for side b. Thanks Farb!

So, for those of you looking to create a Kyroflux preservation stream + ATR files for notched/flippy disks (assuming no copy protection, otherwise use ATX extensions):

1. Get or modify a 5.25in drive to support flippy mode (otherwise you're out of luck, do a sector copy using a real Atari drive)
  2. Kyroflux: dtc -p -f[DiskName]\track_ -g2 -y -i0 -i2 -k2 -b-8
  3. ATR side A: a8rawconv [DiskName]\track_00.0.raw [DiskNameA].atr
  4. ATR side B: a8rawconv [DiskName]\track_00.1.raw [DiskNameB].atr

That should do it!

Ugh, forgot the -r flag for step #4 above!

1. Get or modify a 5.25in drive to support flippy mode (otherwise you're out of luck, do a sector copy using a real Atari drive)
  2. Kyroflux: dtc -p -f[DiskName]\track_ -g2 -y -i0 -i2 -k2 -b-8
  3. ATR side A: a8rawconv [DiskName]\track_00.0.raw [DiskNameA].atr
  4. ATR side B: a8rawconv -r [DiskName]\track_00.1.raw [DiskNameB].atr

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

@Farb and others,

I'm getting set up to preserve some disks and I was using an already preserved disk as a tester and I'm getting errors. Can anyone help me understand what might be the issue? The output from Kryoflux is below.

I tried another diskette (An 810/1050 master diskette) and that one gave the buffering error on every other "track". I assume that means one whole side, assuming the back. But, if the back is unformatted, it shouldn't get buffering errors, should it?

I tried a third disk and that got buffering errors right off the bat.

HELP!

C:\Users\micro\Downloads\kryoflux_3.00_windows\dtc>dtc -p -ftest12345678\track_ -g2 -y -i0 -i2 -k2 -b-8
KryoFlux DiskTool Console, v3.00_Win32, uiv.1, Apr 15 2018, 23:45:03
(c) 2009-2018 KryoFlux Products & Services Ltd.
Developed by The Software Preservation Society, www.softpres.org
Licensed for private, non-commercial use only.

-8.1[00]: frev: 23818, drift: 438.799 us, tfer: 170782 B/s, rpm: 360.543
-8.1[00]: band: 1.694 us, 12.905 us, 14.127 us?, 15.229 us?, 16.337 us?
-8.1[00]: base: 2.000 us [0.000%], band: <invalid>
-7.1[01]: frev: 23653, drift: 443.809 us, tfer: 168195 B/s, rpm: 360.546
-7.1[01]: band: 1.501 us, 4.352 us, 13.272 us, 14.705 us, 15.793 us
-7.1[01]: base: 2.176 us [24.540%], band: 4.352 us
-6.1[02]: frev: 24076, drift: 502.068 us, tfer: 171497 B/s, rpm: 360.550
-6.1[02]: band: 1.567 us, 4.776 us?, 13.555 us, 15.072 us, 16.181 us
-6.1[02]: base: 2.000 us [0.000%], band: <invalid>
-5.1[03]: frev: 24011, drift: 494.377 us, tfer: 170161 B/s, rpm: 360.546
-5.1[03]: band: 1.651 us, 13.030 us, 14.179 us?, 15.177 us?, 16.056 us
-5.1[03]: base: 2.000 us [0.000%], band: <invalid>
-4.1[04]: frev: 24119, drift: 417.207 us, tfer: 172037 B/s, rpm: 360.544
-4.1[04]: band: 1.701 us, 9.822 us?, 13.080 us, 14.736 us?, 15.806 us
-4.1[04]: base: 2.000 us [0.000%], band: <invalid>
-3.1[05]: frev: 24212, drift: 450.452 us, tfer: 172763 B/s, rpm: 360.548
-3.1[05]: band: 1.676 us, 5.002 us, 14.237 us?, 15.106 us, 16.143 us?
-3.1[05]: base: 1.667 us [16.700%], band: <invalid>
-2.1[06]: frev: 24308, drift: 430.375 us, tfer: 172581 B/s, rpm: 360.546
-2.1[06]: band: 1.662 us, 6.315 us, 13.367 us?, 14.613 us?, 15.756 us
-2.1[06]: base: 2.105 us [28.086%], band: 6.315 us
-1.1[07]: frev: 24899, drift: 448.554 us, tfer: 174605 B/s, rpm: 360.548
-1.1[07]: band: 1.615 us, 4.118 us?, 11.580 us, 13.628 us?, 15.056 us
-1.1[07]: base: 2.000 us [0.000%], band: 4.118 us?
00.0    : Control command rejected by the device
00.0    : The streaming device reported a buffering error
00.0    : Read operation failed
00.1[08]: The streaming device reported a buffering error
00.1[08]: Control command rejected by the device
00.1[08]: Read operation failed
User aborted

Huh. When I was trying to get the driver issue fixed, I moved it to a new USB port. Turns out that port is not USB3. But, even though the cable is also not USB3, moving it back to a USB3 port seems to have fixed the issue.

Who knows...

Nevermind.

• Thanks 1