IGNORED

Venture Official Release

Goochman

I'm there with you. I have a really sick kid too. REAL easy to get pissy. If ya ever need someone to talk with/to, PM me.

Thank you for the kind words and offer and I hope your child gets better asap.

About an hour ago we got the all clear on her, she was being tested for various versions of cancer, thankfully the test results came in and she's fine but does have a very bad case of gastroenteritis which is giving her hell.

But at least its not what they thought it might be.

I can only hope you get similar news as us and if you need a chat you can PM.

I feel your pain, as a parent its the one thing you dread, you would do anything to take it from them and have it yourself as long as they get better.

Paul..

• Like 2

Understand this Mclaneinc, If we ever see a digital version of any of our games floating around, I WILL Close this company and we will Never produce another game. people like you are the reason so many game designers for retro systems have decided to close shop. the choice of media is OURS to make not yours. This is OUR work.

We have two more game releases scheduled for release within the next year, but I will shelve them if I see our work being dumped and distributed around without our permission.

Understand this Mclaneinc, If we ever see a digital version of any of our games floating around, I WILL Close this company and we will Never produce another game. people like you are the reason so many game designers for retro systems have decided to close shop. the choice of media is OURS to make not yours. This is OUR work.

We have two more game releases scheduled for release within the next year, but I will shelve them if I see our work being dumped and distributed around without our permission.

And I'm the one being a dick?

So what I see here is someone telling the world how to get them to "shut down their business" Most people do not publicly give such a blueprint.

At least in the c64 world most releases are available in digital format, so not just some artificially limited number of people get to enjoy them.

Edited by dragos

Really, it's up to the person/s creating software for our old machines to decide what format and price structure for the production.

It's the consumer's choice whether to buy or not.

These games take hundreds of hours labour and even at 40-50 bucks the so-called profit doesn't resemble anything like making a living, in reality it's partial cost-recovery for the time/effort involved.

On the other hand, I am in favour of free cut-down examples of these games but that has been the case e.g. Tempest Xtreme.

Digital download for emulation - well, that's up to the producer also.

• Like 3

To be fair to McLaneInc, he's not saying that he will distribute the game, just that he's not happy with the distribution method.

Sal, I hope that you do as well as you can with your product. Personally, I'd like an electronic version (with some kind of watermarking if possible), but hey, it's your choice at the end of the day.

It may be a bit too much to stop overseas sales, it's not that people in the US can't do exactly the same thing.

You may see in another thread that I stand up for the creators of programs and that includes you Sal, but lets not take McLaneInc's comments too far, he wasn't threatening to pirate your software.

• Like 1

I'll be voting with my wallet. Have given lots of love (money/support) to C64 stuff recently on RGCD and the folks they distribute for. Most often you get nice physical copies and binaries so you can enjoy the good stuff however you want to. That's a model I have no problem supporting...

• Like 4

I'll be voting with my wallet. Have given lots of love (money/support) to C64 stuff recently on RGCD and the folks they distribute for. Most often you get nice physical copies and binaries so you can enjoy the good stuff however you want to. That's a model I have no problem supporting...

Agreed, I bought several of their releases. but i also have the binaries for convenience.

Folks really.............this is a thread about an announcement of an awesome new title - if you have a beef with the distribution model then just dont buy it - these arguments have been brought up multiple times in the past and have not done any good in changing how Sal distributes the games produced for his label.

Best to just move on and enjoy something else - complaining in this thread achieves nothing............

• Like 3

Hold on Sal, don't be an idiot to the people because of what I said during a period where I was expecting my daughter to have cancer.

I NEVER said I would pirate your product, I don't even have the bloody skills to do it...

What also annoys me a little is that I was one of the people who begged you to come back to the forum when you were being shunned over claims of YOU stealing customers orders so I think its a little of calling the kettle black.

I do apologise for suggesting that I hoped I'd see your game dumped, it was said in anger and under huge pressure of personal possible loss and there are people on here who can confirm I'm telling the truth. Do what you like with regards contacting me but don't you dare take it out on the people who will buy your product even if I can't.

Sal, you should look back at history and see we all make mistake especially when ill, I've apologised but I will not have you make me a deliberate target for abuse considered both the personal issues and the fact I never said I would DUMP your game, as said I have not the skills or the wish to do so, I just found it odd you would refuse another avenue of sales.

Please don't make me more angry than I am, its not good for me for several important issues, I welcomed you back and then made a stupid post, I've apologised and I trust you will have the decency to accept it and end this rather stupid spat, I welcomed you back in a friendly manner when you were a rather hated man being accused of fraud, I saw past that and saw the illness you were going through and asked you to come back.

Have the morals to admit what I said in anger is nothing compared to what went on back then.

As for dumping stuff, I beta test stuff for people, has it ever surfaced anywhere..Never, I have my own morals thank you..

Whatever the answer do it by PM so its out of here..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Hold on Sal, don't be an idiot to the people because of what I said during a period where I was expecting my daughter to have cancer.

I NEVER said I would pirate your product, I don't even have the bloody skills to do it...

What also annoys me a little is that I was one of the people who begged you to come back to the forum when you were being shunned over claims of YOU stealing customers orders so I think its a little of calling the kettle black.

I do apologise for suggesting that I hoped I'd see your game dumped, it was said in anger and under huge pressure of personal possible loss and there are people on here who can confirm I'm telling the truth. Do what you like with regards contacting me but don't you dare take it out on the people who will buy your product even if I can't.

Sal, you should look back at history and see we all make mistake especially when ill, I've apologised but I will not have you make me a deliberate target for abuse considered both the personal issues and the fact I never said I would DUMP your game, as said I have not the skills or the wish to do so, I just found it odd you would refuse another avenue of sales.

Please don't make me more angry than I am, its not good for me for several important issues, I welcomed you back and then made a stupid post, I've apologised and I trust you will have the decency to accept it and end this rather stupid spat, I welcomed you back in a friendly manner when you were a rather hated man being accused of fraud, I saw past that and saw the illness you were going through and asked you to come back.

Have the morals to admit what I said in anger is nothing compared to what went on back then.

As for dumping stuff, I beta test stuff for people, has it ever surfaced anywhere..Never, I have my own morals thank you..

Whatever the answer do it by PM so its out of here..

Mclaneinc,

This is a really decent posting! You have been a great contributor to this Atari forum. I know from your history of postings that you are a trustworthy person. If you're still interested in Venture (binary file), maybe you and Kjmann can work out something via PM and he can make his sale decisions on a case by case basis.

Kjmann,

A lot of people are using emulators these days, myself included, and binary files would be a preferred format. Of course, you want to protect your investment. Technically, someone can still dump the cartridge and distribute the binary file (I'm not advocating this!). Maybe you can serialize each binary file copy. I think that your sales will increase if you can offer different format options. More people can then enjoy your programs (and your hard work). I know that piracy will always exist, but give the decent folks here a chance to support your development.

• Like 1

Thank you Atx4us, I appreciate yours and others words, personally I don't want a copy of the file now in any deals with Sal, he's made his ground known. I would gladly buy it off him but a cart is no good to me & I repeat I did not say I was going to dump the file, I said in anger I hoped it would be dumped (there's a MASSIVE difference and the proof is in the thread).

I also explained I was angry because my daughter was possibly going to have cancer found and I was angry that I was desperately trying to give Sal and the programmer some money and he just made no reason why. I have since apologised for being angry but I repeat I didn't say I would dump the file.

Hardly the way of a would be pirate..

I have been totally honest to all here so it was a bit annoying to have the withdrawal of his programmers products based upon a threat that I never made.

So, if Sal decides to refuse to sell stuff do not blame me, blames Sal's sometimes curious business practice.

I still wish him and his programmer all the best but all I have been guilty of is letting off steam in a non pirate related manner and trying to BUY Sals product.

Boy, I'm going to hell for being a wannabe customer...Jebus the world is back to front some days..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Sorry Sal (and all the rest I've annoyed). Had really terrible day yesterday (I know, lame explanation, but still...).

Like Maclaneinc I've betatested many games without giving them to bigger audience before they are finished (ie. BombJack/Bombjake and some earlier Xxl's releases).

I also didn't mean dumping your game(s) without your agreement nor knowledge for giving them to others for free (you have spent and still spending some of you free time after all).

I only wanted to join the voice of those who are telling you to rethink the idea of publishing digital versions of your titles.

Okay... not today, not tommorrow (I know the real stuff users are still your main target). But someday when emulators, Atari on-a-chip and all the alikes will dominate the market. Where to put the cartridge then and play the game?

Please continue the works on your projects and don't restrict their distributions just because some have a bit different opinions.

Have a nice day/evening/night! :)

miker

• Like 1