IGNORED

MAME/Arcade High Score Club Season 6.09: Crystal Castles

Deteacher

1181242101141.jpg

Bentley Bear gathers gems found along the paths of many three-quarters-view castles. Wear the magic hat to kill the witch, Berthilda, and eliminate the gem eaters while they are eating. Secret warps take you to higher levels. Use the trackball to move Bentley Bear around the paths of the various "castles" and pick up gems. A level is completed when all the gems are picked up either by you or the gem eaters. If you get the last gem, you will receive extra bonus points.

Kill the gem eaters only when you can see them swallowing a gem. Jumping over the trees will shrink and disable them temporarily. Wearing Berthilda's hat temporarily grants you invincibility and allows you to kill the witch if you can catch her. Other creatures such as the balls, skeletons, and ghosts must be avoided. The pot of honey can be eaten for extra points, but watch out for the swarm of bees.

1181242101142.png1181242101144.png1181242101143.png

Game Information:

Game Name: Crystal Castles

Manufactured By: Atari/1983

Dipswitches: Default (Must go into service mode...nothing to change under dipswitches)

ROMset: ccastles.zip

Chosen By: MisterVCS

ROM Location: http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/55639/mame103/Crystal-Castles-version-4.html

NOTE: Game must be started from the beginning. No warps allowed.

High Scores:

1. 180,430 Deteacher [+15]

2. 138,412 Fallout_002 [+14]

3. 121,004 M.A.M.E. Offender [+13]

4. 111,872 Classicgamer_27330 [+12]

5. 82,860 onmode-ky [+11]

6. 67,298 Gimmeclassics [+10]

7. 63,713 Cynicaster [+9]

8. 63,370 kane [+8]

9. 54,549 asponge [+7]

10. 44,516 DonPedro [+6]

11. 41,267 Mister VCS [+5]

12. 40,892 darrin9999 [+4]

13. 39,008 darthkur [+3]

14. 34,861 jblenkle [+2]

15. 25,731 roadrunner [+1]

Points Leaderboard:

1. kane [111]

2. M.A.M.E. Offender [92]

3. GimmeClassics [92]

4. Fallout_002 [68]

5. DonPedro [64]

6. Darthkur [63]

7. Darrin9999 [62]

8. Deteacher [59]

9. Cynicaster [55]

10. onmode-ky [47]

11. bigbee99 [43]

12. jblenkle [36]

13. roadrunner [36]

14. andyy119 [33]

15. asponge [26]

16. SBAZ [26]

17. NE146 [14]

18. Wolfman24 [13]

19. kojr55 [13]

20. Classicgamer_27330 [12]

21. Vaughan [6]

22. LarcenTyler [2]

Edited by Deteacher

@ Deteacher > unfortunately I don't have a trackBall. I realy can't play this game (other than losing all lifes very quickly) when using a keyboard / mouse. These controls don't respond any good when playing this game. Therefore I realy realy hope it's also allowed to use ROMset ccastelsj which supports use of a joystick; my xbox360 controller works very good with this game.

I'd like to be able defend my third place at the Leaderboard :)

Awaiting anxiously... ;)

Edited by GimmeClassics

@ Deteacher > unfortunately I don't have a trackBall. I realy can't play this game (other than losing all lifes very quickly) when using a keyboard / mouse. These controls don't respond any good when playing this game. Therefore I realy realy hope it's also allowed to use ROMset ccastelsj which supports use of a joystick; my xbox360 controller works very good with this game.

I'd like to be able defend my third place at the Leaderboard :)

Awaiting anxiously... ;)

Not to panic. I am pretty sure your Mame version will allow you to gear down the sensitivity and make it playable. The contingency to that is to modify your PC settings on the mouse. Eventually we are going to run into classic games that use trackballs.

I have never played Crystal Castles so I will probably find myself 5th or 6th optimistically. I vote you give the game a shot.

I am pretty sure your Mame version will allow you to gear down the sensitivity and make it playable. The contingency to that is to modify your PC settings on the mouse.

Seems to play OK on the keyboard, I've never played it before either so don't know what it should be like.

I've more than once tried playing this game on my keyboard and also adjusted the sensitivity of my mouse. I'm afraid it's still awful playing this game using a keyboard / mouse :(

@ Deteacher > again, I really hope you'll allow me (and others) to use ROMset ccastelsj which supports use of a joystick. It's the same game but it offers you a chanche to play it using a controller. Playing this game with my xbox360 controller is so much better. It responds 100 x better than playing it with my keyboard / mouse.

Awaiting anxiously ;)

Edited by GimmeClassics

I've more than once tried playing this game on my keyboard and also adjusted the sensitivity of my mouse. I'm afraid it's still awful playing this game using a keyboard / mouse :(

@ Deteacher > again, I really hope you'll allow me (and others) to use ROMset ccastelsj which supports use of a joystick. It's the same game but it offers you a chanche to play it using a controller. Playing this game with my xbox360 controller is so much better. It responds 100 x better than playing it with my keyboard / mouse.

Awaiting anxiously ;)

Just sent you a PM and I don't have a problem with using that ROMset. Just for everyone's info, I was away because my wife was taken to the hospital earlier this week. All is good now and I'm hoping to get a few games in today, myself. Updating everything right now.

Edited by Deteacher

Just sent you a PM and I don't have a problem with using that ROMset. Just for everyone's info, I was away because my wife was taken to the hospital earlier this week. All is good now and I'm hoping to get a few games in today, myself. Updating everything right now.

I hope everything is going well now. Thank you for sharing this with us.

And thank you for allowing me to use ROMset ccastelsj :)

I got a few games in today. My best so far: 180,430!

post-9712-0-33728600-1385228388_thumb.jpg

In one of the games I played, I got the following message instead of the traditional "game over" screen. See pic below:

post-9712-0-89700000-1385228399_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else ever seen this? If not, I have a theory on how to trigger it, but I'm going to test it out further.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. It seems that if the first and last digit of your score match at the end of the game, it triggers the special screen. I didn't see that on the Digital Press Easter Egg page for CC. Woo Hoo! :)

Edited by Deteacher