IGNORED

Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast

mbd30

Probably the best racer I've ever played. The only real flaw is some occasional slowdown when the graphics are pushing the PS2 to the peak of its capabalities.

How far did you get in Coast to Coast mode? I managed to score between A and AAA on all the tracks in the novice, intermediate and professional races. But the Outrun races seem too hard. I might give up. That last professional race alone took me hours with all the ridiculous hairpin turns and it's just going to keep getting tougher.

BTW, the Outrun class Testarossa is the only car that I use anymore. Other cars are either too slow or have worse handling.

• Like 2

I love this game!!!!! I really want a good steering wheel for this game and the psn Daytona port.

You mean Outrun Online Arcade? I suppose your PS3 might be PS2 compatible, but if Outrun Online Arcade is your version, you're missing out if that's all you have. It's a great release but it lost the original Outrun 2 content and is stripped down in modes and such due to XBLA/PSN size regulations of the time.

I wish I had the PSN version of OOA. Wanted it on both, but point cards weren't available to import before Sega delisted it making purchasing it from North America impossible. At least the XBLA release made it out over.

Probably the best racer I've ever played. The only real flaw is some occasional slowdown when the graphics are pushing the PS2 to the peak of its capabalities.

How far did you get in Coast to Coast mode? I managed to score between A and AAA on all the tracks in the novice, intermediate and professional races. But the Outrun races seem too hard. I might give up. That last professional race alone took me hours with all the ridiculous hairpin turns and it's just going to keep getting tougher.

I actually 100%'ed this on the Xbox. :)

I've been an Outrun 2 addict since Outrun 2 first released on the Xbox. I've gotten into the top 10 on the leaderboards in various versions over the years. But I've only messed around here and there with Outrun Coast to Coast on the PS2 and PSP (need to link them for 100% completion I've heard with a USB cable).

But it was the first game I played in the case of my original PSP and when I bought a spare PS2 new last year, it was inaugurated with some Coast to Coast before going back in its box.

Edited by Atariboy

I have a ps2 compatible ps3. :) Need to swap the hd out though. I also have the Xbox versions; like I said, love that game!!! I will be so sad if that ps3 dies; but thats why I keep the old ps2 around - just in case! I only wish I had bought the ps2 Sega 3d classics collection a few years back, but reviews kept me away from it.

Horrible review

I like it when he says it even uses the same tracks as Outrun 2. He's either outright misleading the reader since although it maintains the Outrun 2 track roster, it also adds 15 new courses. Or he's showing how little he played it if he didn't even realize that those 15 OR2 tracks only represent half of what's there (Actually less than half since there are remixes like night versions on there).

And the part about how slipstreaming is completely off because it doesn't increase your speed in real life is rather laughable. For starters, this is an arcade racer through and through so real life doesn't matter beyond the Ferrari shapes and sounds and shouldn't be entering into the equation here. And secondly, it most certainly increases a vehicle's top speed in real life.

And another laugh is the graphics complaints. How is this anything but a beautiful game? And what 80's racers ever looked this great?

He's an idiot.

I only wish I had bought the ps2 Sega 3d classics collection a few years back, but reviews kept me away from it.

I bet Sega Classics Collection is dirt cheap these days. They made a lot of copies of it before reviews scared people away and I'm sure even sealed copies only go for about $10 right now. But the Outrun remake and several others make it very much worthwhile.

Probably the biggest issues with Outrun (Other than the fact that this game and every other one on the collection should've also included the original) is that the perspective is a bit low so your car obscures your vision a bit and the pop up is rather strange on something that looks like it could run on a Playstation if they just lowered the resolution a tad. But the gameplay is there, the audio is there, it's fun to see it in 3D even if it's no replacement for Sega's sprite scaling original, and the expanded mode with a ton of new tracks is great.

Just avoid the Golden Axe remake on it. Other than that, it's a pretty solid collection.

Edited by Atariboy

He also commented on how difficult the versions of Super Hang-On and Outrun were on Sega Arcade Gallery for the GBA. Yet you can crash a half dozen times easily on even the hardest route on Outrun on there and get to the checkered with lots of time to spare where as on the arcade there would just be no hope for you.

I don't remember any difficult making the high score list on Outrun 2 when I first started. I was well used to the formula by Coast to Coast, but if it's hard there, they must've toughened things up a lot from Outrun 2.

Edited by Atariboy

I never found Coast to coast, but I own and still play xbox "Outrun 2" - is there much difference between the two versions? But switching from an Xbox version to a PS2 version (although newer), it can't look as nice right? Xbox360 emulation of Outrun 2 has too much frame skipping so I only play it on the orig console.

I never found Coast to coast, but I own and still play xbox "Outrun 2" - is there much difference between the two versions?

AtariBoy over in the other OutRun thread gives some details on the differences between OutRun 2 and OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast. Basically CtC is OutRun 2 with a little more modern stuff, but minus the bonus of original OutRun.

But switching from an Xbox version to a PS2 version (although newer), it can't look as nice right?

The consensus is the PS2 graphics are a bit below the XBox graphics, yes. I've played PS2 CtC extensively and XBox OR2 only briefly, but I did notice one difference: On the XBox, all cars have angled shadows based on where the sun is. On the PS2, only the player's car has an angled shadow. All other cars have simple drop shadows.

Having said that, the graphics on the PS2 are still really good, and a nice colorful departure from the murky brown muck that most 3D games from that era were sinking into.

A bit more than a little. It adds 15 new courses for instance to the original 15 from Outrun 2. :)

And another nice thing you lose besides the inclusion of the original Outrun are the two bonus courses based on Sega Super GT/SCUD Race and Daytona USA 2. Those are exclusive to Outrun 2 on the Xbox.

Love this game(s). I need to fix my XBox so I can play them again. They totally nailed that 80s feel in almost every way.

I just wish Coast 2 Coast would have left in all the bonus stuff from OutRun 2...I just play one of them until I get frustrated and then I'll play the other for a while. I'm not very good at racing games, so it's going to take me quite a while to unlock everything =)

Makes me sad that they cancelled the Dreamcast so soon though, I wonder how well the game would have fared there.

Slightly off-topic, but I just got 3D Space Harrier for the 3DS yesterday, and if they don't release a 3D OutRun, I will be very upset.

The next best thing is there. 3D Super Hang-On. :)

Fans of Sega's Super Scaler line of arcade games should also give some attention to Galaxy Force II when it releases on December 12th. It's the first North American release of a faithful conversion of the arcade original. Those that only played the Genesis conversion will be shocked to find a nice game there.

Edited by Atariboy

In the Coast to Coast mode in the Outrun class, I got up to the long races where you have to beat 99 other cars. I did the best I could and still couldn't get anywhere near first place, maybe around 30 something place. That's where I gave up on the Outrun class in C2C mode.

Asaki might be getting his wish. The 2nd series of these Sega 3D Classics releases for Japan is confirmed. Hopefully the first wave does well enough with its belated release over here to justify bringing wave 2 over in the future.

https://twitter.com/LinearLoveStory/statuses/406710593635115009

I too hope Outrun is included (And Turbo Outrun as well). And I wish they'd bring these to consoles. I liked their mini digital compilations on XBLA and M2's conversions were seeing standalone releases on PSN for a while.

It seems a shame to keep things exclusive to the 3DS going forward. Arcade Outrun, 3D support, leaderboards, and proper wheel support on XBLA & PSN would be great on the big screen.

Edited by Atariboy

The next best thing is there. 3D Super Hang-On. :)

Yeah, I will probably pick that one up. I like all the extra stuff they added in the Genesis version, though.

Keeping my fingers crossed for 3D OutRun! I know they apparently don't have the Ferrarri rights right now, but I wouldn't be upset if they just took the horse off the back or whatever.