IGNORED

5200 Emulators

Cody_Rock2001

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a month since the last post, but I'll take a chance that this will get read.....

I would not mind trying out a 5200 emulator, but it would have to be damned easy to set-up, run and find games for. Is there an emulator out there that one can just download and open the zip file and dump the contents into subdirectory and run?

I used to have a 5200 decades ago, and enjoyed playing Pole Position, Missile Command, Moon Patrol, Pac Man, Pengo and Zaxxon.

Can anyone suggest, or provide a link to such an emulator and the games?

Back in the day is was a sleek and beautiful console....

sys_Atari5200_4port_a.jpg

I was just playing some 5200 on MESS yesterday. The analog nature of the 5200 joysticks makes emulating the system with digital sticks a bit dicey. I was playing Pac-Man and the control behavior was pretty unpredictable--far too often, my character would not go in the direction I wanted. It's a shame because some of those games look like they'd be fun.

I know you can tweak the "digital speed" in MESS, but that didn't seem to help much. Anybody have a way around this problem?

I know you can tweak the "digital speed" in MESS, but that didn't seem to help much. Anybody have a way around this problem?

Ensure the "AD Stick X Analog Dec/Inc" and "AD Stick Y Analog Dec/Inc" is mapped to the appropriate axis of your controller.

The default is mapped to keyboard input:

post-18-0-31785900-1388687456_thumb.png

Ideally, if using an analog controller (Think thumbsticks on a modern day controller - which mimics many of the same functions/principle as the original 5200 joystick), tweak the analog settings:

post-18-0-65333300-1388687738_thumb.pngpost-18-0-87453500-1388687739_thumb.png

I prefer to use kat5200 for Atari 5200 emulation with Altirra running a close second.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also think that Altirra is the best.

Hey Trebor, I like MESS for Atari 2600, 7800, ect. but not for 5200. Too many games just do not work. I made a list once for the MESS people but as far as I can see, nothing has been done. For instance, Centipede and Frisky Tom don't start up but there are plenty of others. This is with the latest version(152) also. I'd be interested if others have similar results.

I also think that Altirra is the best.

Hey Trebor, I like MESS for Atari 2600, 7800, ect. but not for 5200. Too many games just do not work. I made a list once for the MESS people but as far as I can see, nothing has been done. For instance, Centipede and Frisky Tom don't start up but there are plenty of others. This is with the latest version(152) also. I'd be interested if others have similar results.

I agree regarding the 5200 and MESS; not sure if you caught the last sentence in my reply (after the screen captures):

"I prefer to use kat5200 for Atari 5200 emulation with Altirra running a close second." ;)

5200 emulation still has considerable improvements that need to be made before even being a contender with kat5200 and Altirra. In addition to the issues you mentioned, Ms. Pac-Man has 'funky' colors (Not palette related) and Pitfall! also has graphical issues.

I was just offering some advice/help on Cynicaster's issue with the 5200 under MESS.

Also, 2600 emulation is handled slightly better with Stella [see Haunted House]. :-D

• 1 month later...

I was bummed out when development on kat5200 stopped. It got so far, so fast and was sooo close to being great, then stopped...

Have you ever sent an email to the developer how highly you think of kat5200?

It might well be that just a little encouragement will prompt the dev to pick up the reins and continue on.

http://kat5200.jillybunch.com/