IGNORED

The TI-99/4A as a WEATHER STATION?

Omega-TI

Has anyone one ever considered turning a spare TI console into a dedicated weather station?

I got to thinking today (I know uh oh), anyway the TI joystick has 5 digital inputs that could be used for other things...

One input, say the fire button could be used for an anemometer. A simple XB program could be written to count impulses from a simple mechanical sending unit and 'set' to a baseline. The impulses could be compared to a clock (an existing software based clock) for calculation.

The other four digital inputs could be used for a very rough wind direction display (N,S,E, & W) if more than two inputs can be scanned at one time (I don't know if that is possible), it might be possible to use those four inputs for 8 different readings like (NE, SW, etc.)

Now the temperature part has me baffled. Is there any place on the TI that could be used as an ANALOG input? If so, some transistors can be used because the values change based on temperature, the program would just need to be written to translate the resistance value to a known temp. So calibration with a real thermometer would be a must for every individual system.

This could even possibly be combined with an X10 project to turn on a heater below a set temperature, or using a solar cell when a value goes below a certain light threshold, to turn on a lamp.

Has anyone one ever considered turning a spare TI console into a dedicated weather station?

I got to thinking today (I know uh oh), anyway the TI joystick has 5 digital inputs that could be used for other things...

One input, say the fire button could be used for an anemometer. A simple XB program could be written to count impulses from a simple mechanical sending unit and 'set' to a baseline. The impulses could be compared to a clock (an existing software based clock) for calculation.

The other four digital inputs could be used for a very rough wind direction display (N,S,E, & W) if more than two inputs can be scanned at one time (I don't know if that is possible), it might be possible to use those four inputs for 8 different readings like (NE, SW, etc.)

Now the temperature part has me baffled. Is there any place on the TI that could be used as an ANALOG input? If so, some transistors can be used because the values change based on temperature, the program would just need to be written to translate the resistance value to a known temp. So calibration with a real thermometer would be a must for every individual system.

This could even possibly be combined with an X10 project to turn on a heater below a set temperature, or using a solar cell when a value goes below a certain light threshold, to turn on a lamp.

The MBP card was used for this purpose -- there is even software written to take advantage of the inputs for this very purpose.

The MBP card was used for this purpose -- there is even software written to take advantage of the inputs for this very purpose.

REALLY? I'll have to tear apart WHTECH and see if I can find it! Thanks.

I do not remember the MBP card, I'll have to see what is out there on it.

Okay, I remember hearing about the MBP clock, I did not know this card had an analog to digital converter on it! Damn, that opens up all kinds useful and fun projects, experiments and just plain fun. Is there a repository of software literature for this thing? It would be interesting to read up on it and see what people did with it.

Edited by Kevan