IGNORED

Atari 800 Basic to Assembly

iesposta

Anyone recall what I think was a magazine program where it took Atari Basic and made a machine language runtime?

This was my biggest achievement on the 800XL.

I had a Basic demo coded with the 4 players as balls and the 5th player as a ball also. I have the basic program files still. I have lost the disk with the binary file. They just moved up and down, left and right changing directions at the edges.

Then there was this program that turned basic into machine code.

The thing is you could only use peek, poke, if/then and I think goto.

I rewrote my basic demo using just those commands. It ran even slower than my original basic code. But after running it through this converter, you could RUN it from the DOS menu and it really ran fast!

I showed it at my Atari users club, explaining how I made it. It did not "wow" other members, but I always liked it due to how it was machine language compiled from Basic.

Anyone remember this compiler?

ABC by MONARCH DATA SYSTEMS

THE BASIC COMPILER by DATASOF’T

BASM by COMPUTER ALLIANCE

Link: http://www.cyberroach.com/analog/an11/compilers.htm

Also TurboBASIC XL Compiler and Linker is good, make sure to get the proper NTSC or PAL version if you need time functions.

ADVAN BASIC Compiler: http://advan.atarinet.com/

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

Interesting that this subject came up. I just had #23 out last week for a little project, and with the Analog ATR that I have, every time I try to run the MiniComp program, it starts out with the title (screen) messed up. Tried both XL and 800 OS's. Perhaps my ATR is bad. I found no updates or fixes in I'll take a look at these references.

-Larry

• 4 years later...