IGNORED

batari Basic compiles into 0kb .bin files.

Shufflehound

I've finally got Visual batariBasic to compile, but it compiles to nothing!

I went to check the files, and I found out that when it compiles to the .asm files there's no information in it. So, when it compiles to .bin, there's, yet again, nothing there.

Does anybody know why it's doing that and how to stop that? Thanks in advance.

I'm using Windows 8 with Stella if that means anything.

14t0gpk.png

Just a thought, but in some cases where I was trying to run some program that was supposed to create a file, but the generated file was always 0 bytes instead of containing any data, it turned out to be permissions-- for example, the read/write/create/update/etc. permissions on the directory, or something like that. So try removing the "read only" setting on the C:\Atari2600 folder and all subdirectories and files within it, and check the user permissions to be sure that the user has full permissions on those folders and their contents.

• Like 1

bB works in command-line, and when vbb compiles it calls bB programs with appropriate commands. It's going to help sort out where the problem is if we skip vbb for a minute.

Assuming you've done everything in RT's Getting Started bB section, you should do the follwing...

(open a command-line)

cd Atari2600\bB\samples

2600bas.bat zombie_chase.bas

...if bB is working fine, this should produce a non-zero sized ASM and BIN. If not, please cut and paste your output here.

Okay. I've realized that on my C drive, it automatically makes it read only without a way to disable it. I've moved it onto my other hard drive, but now when I try to compile, it says:

System path does not include G:\BATARI\Atari2600\bB

Precompilation failed, aborted at 02/12/2013 21:23:27

What does it mean by "system path". I have already changed the compiler location to that hard drive, so it's not that it can't find the compiler.

Any ideas?

"System path" refers to the PATH variable used by the operating system. Right-click on the START button (if you have Win8, move the mouse to the lower left corner until the Start Screen's icon appears, then right-click on it) and select "System" on the popup menu. On the left, click "Advanced system settings" and then on the new popup window click the "Environment Variables" button. In the bottom half of the window scroll down if necessary until you see "Path," then double-click it. In the little popup window the second field should already be selected. Being careful not to accidentally wipe out the current value, use the right arrow (cursor key) to move the cursor to the end of the current string, then type the following at the end (be sure it starts with a semicolon) and click OK when you're done:

;%bB%

Note, this assumes that the bB variable has been defined as a system environment variable. If it hasn't, or if you aren't sure if it has, you can type this instead:

;G:\BATARI\Atari2600\bB