IGNORED

Is it fact that Nintendo Saved Gaming?

Jakandsig

58 members have voted

1. 1. Did Nintendo factually save gaming?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I love all consoles and not only the NES. Oh and as if the SMS contoller isn't a ripoff of the Famicom's? Which came first Famicom or SMS??

considering, design, development, hard tooling, and finding a supplier, is the SMS a ripoff of a NES pad or is the NES pad a ripoff of the SMS pad?

yes

course in a limited view of a consumer which ever came out first was the innovator, cause consumers are stupid.. they know nothing of the matter of months to completely copy another company, nevermind you cant even settle on a quote form a tooling company for at least 3 months let alone begin commercial quality production.

its most likley they were both in development at the exact same time, and nintendo had a better supplier at first

Edited by Osgeld

Actually the SG1000(aka SMS) WAS designed to compete against the Famicom.That's fact and not an opinion.

Famicom was released in 1983. SG1000 in 1985.... Is it a coincidence that the controllers are similar?

A world without Zelda??? PFFFFFT. I don't thinkso... and I ain't livin' in no NES bubble world,my favorite console is Vectrex.

I don't want to argue though cos arguing on the internet isn't my style!

I think when Nolan Bushnell goes on my radio show soon I'll ask him this question.

considering, design, development, hard tooling, and finding a supplier, is the SMS a ripoff of a NES pad or is the NES pad a ripoff of the SMS pad?

yes

course in a limited view of a consumer which ever came out first was the innovator, cause consumers are stupid.. they know nothing of the matter of months to completely copy another company, nevermind you cant even settle on a quote form a tooling company for at least 3 months let alone begin commercial quality production.

its most likley they were both in development at the exact same time, and nintendo had a better supplier at first

That's ignoring the original release dates. The Famicom controller was released 2 years before the Mark III controller, and so likely influenced it as well. The 1983 SG-1000, released the same year as the Famicom, still had a joystick, not a d-pad.

One more thing... despite the NES' lackluster sales worldwide compared to North America and Japan,it STILL outsold every console previous to it by 1990 worldwide.

Oh and the NES wasn't even available in the USSR,so they don't even count in this argument.

Soo bite that NES haters!!! :D

Edited by lushgirl_80

Some people are really narrowsided. Common, Nintendo didn't save gaming. Period.

It opened gaming to a bigger audience, for sure, by releasing something different, just like they did when they released the wii.

But it didn't save gaming, any other company could have done the same if they where first on the market with new hardware.

And for the games, there where already sidescrolling platform games, only most games scrolled a screen at a time, pitfall, the smurfs, it would only be a matter of time before somebody would make it smooth scrolling.

And for smb, sorry to break your nintendo heart, but in 1981 you had jump bug, from rock-ola, that is considered the first side scrolling platform, and pac-land by namco from 1984, that may have influenced smb. Sorry.

Edited by Seob
  • Like 2

The NES ruled the whole worldwide market by 1990,even #1 in Europe. Case closed...

No sorry to break your heart, but the nes wasn't no 1 in the Netherlands. That title belongs to 8 bit computers, or for consoles the 2600.

Oh and the nes didn't even release in Brasil, so it can't be no 1 worldwide.

Edited by Seob
  • Like 1

and Vecterex has a 90% gamepad a year earlier, its not exactly a new concept having a + represent direction, not even considering that you think an entire new hardware design would take less than 2 years to launch into public hands world wide, they were pretty much developed in tandom, nintendo took easier paths and had better suppliers, but to ignorantly say cause one came out before the other that SEGA was just nothing but a copycat is pure fanboi ignorance of how products are developed (just like mac and microsoft they both robbed the same house, mac got the art, microsoft got the TV)

and please ask nolan about it, I am sure you will get some classic ranting on how pacman and space invaders are art and anything else is pure and utter shit for a good 20 min, I honestly cant stand the guy.

Edited by Osgeld

I dunno, there's a case to be made that the Famicom borrowed from the Vectrex. The only way to really prove any of this is ask designers and look at concept art. I don't see the big deal in borrowing good designs, though.

(Oh, wait, just wait until what's his face comes in and starts yelling at people for the "Japanese design" Nintendo "forced down people's throat." :roll: Gag.)

cant tell the difference honestly, and by 1990 the landscape was totally changed, hell we were half way into the 16 bit era by then... want to count used sales up to 2014 as well?

my points may be moot, but they are based in reality, your's just seem like ranting bullshit OMFG MARZELDA garbage

sure seems like it with your language choices of THATS A FACT and LOL within the first sentence.

please if you want to have a conversation don't come off as a snarky know it all bringer of facts while laughing in peoples faces, then accuse others of being know it all's (just for the record I am just bringing my experience with product development in as a total oppinion, not NINTENDO DIDS ITS VERST THEY WINZ!!!)

that crap may work on your podcast, but it seriously hurts your creditability in the real world

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

A message board is the "real world"? Excuse me but you are delusional.

Fine, feel like you've won this argument because in reality you've won nothing. In other words get a life! :P

My radio show isn't only a podcast, I am on the air on the actual FM radio. What do you do with your life besides trying to win petty internet arguments?

Nes came second in UK, after SMS, due to the fact that NES games cost GBP 50.00 (GBP 50 for a video game in a country who grew up playing video games Spectrum games for 7.99, 5.99, 2.99 or 1.99 was a joke) and SMS games cost GBP 29.00. Later, when Nintendo reduced the price of the NES to 49,99 games were still 50.00. They were having a laugh.

Nobody would shell out GBP 50.00 for an 8-bit video game, when compared even with 16-bit machines like Amiga, the Amiga games cost GBP 29.00, or 19.99 or less.

And the SMS had a head start (NES came later) and a huge European (UK) software support, more so than the NES.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

There seems to be an underlying assumption that if the NES didn't come out, that games like Mario and Zelda would never have existed. Maybe I'm wrong but the fathers of modern gaming like Miyamoto would have gone to work for other companies. Imagine a world where SMB or Zelda was an Atari or Sega product?

• Like 1

Let's put it this way, did Nintendo saved gaming: NO.

Did Nintendo revive the US market: maybe. But the market wasn't dead, it was weakened because of bad decisions, poor games that got released and stockholders getting less money then they thought. Resulting in companies getting out of the business. Nintendo was smart enough to learn from the mistakes made by US console manufactures and because of that they did so well on the US market.

In Europe and Japan there was no crash.

Edited by Seob
  • Like 3

The next time this topic comes up (AND IT WILL), I'll just respond with "THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS!" Because it's not so much a question as an interrogation. You're just going to keep asking this until the response is "Nintendo contributed nothing to the video game industry and Atari farts rainbows and sunshine!"

• Like 4

The next time this topic comes up (AND IT WILL), I'll just respond with "THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS!" Because it's not so much a question as an interrogation. You're just going to keep asking this until the response is "Nintendo contributed nothing to the video game industry and Atari farts rainbows and sunshine!"

Yes, it does.

super_breakout_cover_zps99b8f7d9.jpg

OMFG MARZELDA! ! ! !

• Like 4

How much of the market did Europe represent back in the day for videogames? People say there was no crash in Europe, which is great, but (and excuse the typical American exceptionalism please) but I find it hard to see how videogaming would be anywhere near what it became/is without the American market.

Video gaming was huge in UK, thanks to the one computer, the Spectrum. Go check out 'world of spectrum'.

It started in the UK in the late 70s when the boss of WH Smith put up a huge display of computers he'd imported from the USA in one of his shops in London. This was a great success. He believed in the computer revolution.

Second, there was Clive Sinclair, who made dirt cheap computers like the ZX80, ZX81 and ZX Spectrum. Maggy Thatcher actually held up a ZX Spectrum in front of a Japanese congregation and proclaimed 'with this we British will rule the IT industry', which didn't quite happen of course, but it was a start....

Bedroom coders emerged plentiful coding for ZX computers, and so the British gaming industry was born.

At one stage there were like 20 companies in UK making home computers. C&VG started in 1981 and was the first European magazine just reviewing video games.

UK had during its heyday approx. 50 monthly gaming magazines in leading outlets. I think UK produced more games during the 80s than US, due to use of tapes, they never switched to fdds.

There was a successful US computer in UK, C64, again all games appeared on cassette tape.

There's more to tell, but maybe some others can tell some more.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

How much of the market did Europe represent back in the day for videogames? People say there was no crash in Europe, which is great, but (and excuse the typical American exceptionalism please) but I find it hard to see how videogaming would be anywhere near what it became/is without the American market.

Excused. ;)

It really depends on what you would call the videogame market.

US and European markets were very different. A major factor was that consoles never took off as much as they did in the US in the first place, but instead Europeans flocked more and more to computers. It's not like the early consoles did not sell, but they did not have the impact they had in the US. The European market only began to really grow in the 80ies with the home computers. And those were hugely successful.

The UK was in love with the Spectrum. France was territory of the Amstrad CPC. And Germany was dominated by the C64. Loads and loads of games came out, and actually from the German perspective the UK seemed like the no.1 gaming country in the world back then, because so many hits came from there. The videogame crash was really no concern here, when it happened was when gaming began to really bloom here.

After the three dominant 8-bit computers came the Atari ST and Amiga. And only after that the consoles in the early 90ies really began to take over. Ironically, European developers waited too long to switch to consoles, which is one of the reasons most of them vanished in the 90ies. The systems that had made them great while the US market had crashed pulled them into their graves when the consoles took over.

The tape love High Voltage mentions was largely a UK-thing btw. In Germany the floppy disk was more popular than tape, but it was still much cheaper to buy games on floppy than on cartridge. And let's not forget the bootlegs. I bet 9 out of 10 games were just copied from friends.^^

So Nintendo may have saved US gaming; but they saved neither European gaming nor Japanese gaming, since the latter had never been huge before, so they popularized rather than saved there.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1