IGNORED

How successful was the Xegs?

Jakandsig

Back when it was new, people in my area talked about it all the time, but there seems to be a big absence of it in many gaming topics, especially on the internet.

I hears that it sold over 1 million units but am not sure. It seemed like an attractive idea, original games and able to play the 8-bit line on your Tv without a wall computer. Anybody got more information on that?

I remember Bob Brodie, Atari's User Group Coordinator, coming to our user group to gave us a talk about the state of Atari in general. One question was what happened to the XEGS? (this was around early 1990ish) When released, people (the 8-bitters especially) noticed that they were selling and many retail outlets sold them. However, it was a steady decline after that with fewer retailers selling them over the next year.

Bob said during the first Christmas it was released, it sold very well and in some cases, their inventory was completely sold out. Unfortunately, the next Christmas, the sales dropped off fast. I don't recall Bob giving a reason, but it sure sounded like the XEGS's days were numbered at that point. I am sure there are many true and speculative points that may have attributed to its decline.

I remember Bob Brodie, Atari's User Group Coordinator, coming to our user group to gave us a talk about the state of Atari in general. One question was what happened to the XEGS? (this was around early 1990ish) When released, people (the 8-bitters especially) noticed that they were selling and many retail outlets sold them. However, it was a steady decline after that with fewer retailers selling them over the next year.

Bob said during the first Christmas it was released, it sold very well and in some cases, their inventory was completely sold out. Unfortunately, the next Christmas, the sales dropped off fast. I don't recall Bob giving a reason, but it sure sounded like the XEGS's days were numbered at that point. I am sure there are many true and speculative points that may have attributed to its decline.

By 1990, the technology was over a decade old. The games were repackaged old titles. It's a good machine, make no mistake. But by that time....too little, too late.

Over a million is conceivable but in reality probably somewhat less. Most sales quotes I see have 800XL as the biggest seller of the 8-bit computer models and overally 8-bit computer sales are usually estimated between 2-4 million.

In terms of consoles, somewhat a failure for sales and technology although of course the A8 can hold it's own against practically any 8-bit computer or console but as mentioned the tech was essentially a decade old when it was released.

In terms of computers it's just one of the 8 or so mainstream 8-bit Atari compatible computers that they made. I've got 2 of them in my total collection of 10 complete 8-bit Ataris and don't rate it highly in attractiveness or usability.

The detachable keyboard was poor in that the keys were crap (could be corrected with aftermarket kit) and the cable was an utter joke - being able to seperate the main unit from the keyboard by mere inches makes you ask why they even bothered.

Realistically it was just Atari's way of trying to make more inroads back into the console market - a big selling point of course being that it is essentially a real computer backed with a library that at the time was probably triple what the NES had, albeit including non-game, PD and BASIC software.

Edited by Rybags

I can also see Atari's old games fading away from catering to even the arcade niche by the time Genesis came out because arcade games themselves had changed by then too. It wasn't about Centipede, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders etc anymore. Arcade games were more like Double Dragon and stuff where you could put in quarters and keep going anytime you lose. These arcade games for rich softies where everybody was a winner as long as you had tons of quarters. You could easily beat any sidescrolling beat 'em up without any skill as long as you had enough money.

You might think competition from Nintendo was bad enough to make Atari struggle to get back into consoles even though Nintendo was promoting different new kinds of games, but I think Sega was more the competitor to really do them in and replace them because they shared the same niche as Atari. The arcade system role. Then by the time 1991 hit they came out with Sonic to compete with their other competitor Nintendo and also did very well. That Genesis was quite a beast. It helped totally doom Atari and took a hard bite at Nintendo too. I was lucky to have such an awesome system as my first but I still really enjoyed many years of Atari and Nintendo systems. I think the XEGS was my favorite Atari while I had it. Smoother graphics than the 2600 but the same basic very useable joystick without the overly complicated 5200 controls. (i.e. why are there 2 buttons that do the same thing but two buttons that go completely unused?)

Edited by TheGameCollector

I have no special insight. I can only tell you my experience.

The first time I saw/heard of one was at a Goodwill around 1992. I spotted this strange looking machine with candy-like buttons, and picked it up for $10 (with light gun, keyboard, power supply, and Bug Hunt). I was familiar with the Atari 8-bit line of computers, and all of the other Atari consoles, but had never seen or heard of this thing.

I suspect the answer was not very. Especially given the prices these days for the XEGS gray carts on eBay. Now as a kid I wanted one. I thought it was cool that it was essentially a computer that was also a video game console. And already having a 2600 I knew Atari. Plus seeing the commercials where they featured Flight Simulator was awesome to me -- despite the fact we had MSFS for our IBM XT clone. But I suspect it was a case of too little too late. In large part with Atari splitting its efforts 4-ways (2600, 7800, 8 bit and ST) I think neither platform got the level of development that each needed.

65XEs were already around $99 in the late 80s, and XEGS initially sold for more than that. I understand that the 8-bit line was reasonably profitable and there was a need to give retailers a reason to keep stocking and selling the stuff. But I feel that the effort spent there would have been better spent elsewhere (7800 and ST).

The XEGS (or as I call it, the X-Eggs) was the product of a desperate and confused Atari. At that point, the company was throwing everything against the wall in the hope that something would stick. However, juggling three formats at once is never a smart idea, as Sega would later learn with the Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X. I suspect that Atari 7800 owners were plenty hot under the collar when they discovered that Atari obsoleted their console with another that wasn't necessarily better. I like the Atari 400/800/XL/XE/X-cetera hardware, but it's not the quantum leap ahead of the 7800, the way the Genesis was a step above the Master System. I suspect the 7800 fans considered the XEGS a pointless upgrade and a slap in the face, the way I felt about the 32X when that was released.

Politics (and ugly pastel Mentos buttons) aside, I'd like to have an XEGS in my collection. I'd prefer a 130XE, but just about anything would be an improvement over my Atari 400.

• Like 2

but just about anything would be an improvement over my Atari 400.

Agreed with you 100% until I got to this statement. :P Sure the 400 only has 16K, RF output only, and a membrane keyboard. But just LOOK at it! It's a 70's masterpiece. If there is one item in my collection that makes me smile when I see it, it's the Atari 400. I'd take a 400 over a 130XE every day of the week. Just as a postscript, my go-to 8-bit -- the one I use most and enjoy most -- is the 800XL.

• Like 2

I can also see Atari's old games fading away from catering to even the arcade niche by the time Genesis came out because arcade games themselves had changed by then too. It wasn't about Centipede, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders etc anymore. Arcade games were more like Double Dragon and stuff where you could put in quarters and keep going anytime you lose. These arcade games for rich softies where everybody was a winner as long as you had tons of quarters. You could easily beat any sidescrolling beat 'em up without any skill as long as you had enough money.

You might think competition from Nintendo was bad enough to make Atari struggle to get back into consoles even though Nintendo was promoting different new kinds of games, but I think Sega was more the competitor to really do them in and replace them because they shared the same niche as Atari. The arcade system role. Then by the time 1991 hit they came out with Sonic to compete with their other competitor Nintendo and also did very well. That Genesis was quite a beast. It helped totally doom Atari and took a hard bite at Nintendo too. I was lucky to have such an awesome system as my first but I still really enjoyed many years of Atari and Nintendo systems. I think the XEGS was my favorite Atari while I had it. Smoother graphics than the 2600 but the same basic very useable joystick without the overly complicated 5200 controls. (i.e. why are there 2 buttons that do the same thing but two buttons that go completely unused?)

No pretty sire Atari and Williams/Bally/Midway were still the top in the arcades until 2001.

The XEGS (or as I call it, the X-Eggs) was the product of a desperate and confused Atari. At that point, the company was throwing everything against the wall in the hope that something would stick. However, juggling three formats at once is never a smart idea, as Sega would later learn with the Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X. I suspect that Atari 7800 owners were plenty hot under the collar when they discovered that Atari obsoleted their console with another that wasn't necessarily better. I like the Atari 400/800/XL/XE/X-cetera hardware, but it's not the quantum leap ahead of the 7800, the way the Genesis was a step above the Master System. I suspect the 7800 fans considered the XEGS a pointless upgrade and a slap in the face, the way I felt about the 32X when that was released.

Politics (and ugly pastel Mentos buttons) aside, I'd like to have an XEGS in my collection. I'd prefer a 130XE, but just about anything would be an improvement over my Atari 400.

The odd thing here is with Atari it started working. Until they slashed everything to focus on the Jaguar.

No pretty sire Atari and Williams/Bally/Midway were still the top in the arcades until 2001.

Atari's status in the arcades sunk as early as the mid-eighties, and by 1990 they had pretty much lost their standing their. The kings of the arcade were companies such as Sega, Capcom, Konami, Namco, SNK and Midway.

The odd thing here is with Atari it started working. Until they slashed everything to focus on the Jaguar.

Have you ever seen their numbers? The rest of their business had already started breaking away when the Jaguar was released.

Edited by 108 Stars

See, I'm an '80s child and a Commodore fan, so the white wedge design of the XE is more to my liking. I'm glad that I have an Atari 400- any port in a storm, right?- but at the same time I'm itching for something more cutting edge, both in looks and performance.

I'll bet the Atari 8-bit computer hardware would make a great handheld. The cartridges are certainly the right size for it! I know Ben Heckendorn has done some laptops, but I'd prefer something that could fit in my hands.

• Like 1

The XEGS is an interesting addition to the A8 line, for an Atari Computer enthusiast. It's most redeeming quality is that it's an "Atari 5200 done right." However, in the annals of videogame history, it barely registers a blip. For an Atari collector, it does ever-so-much-more-so.

• Like 2

I can only anecdotally recall being the only kid in what felt like a million-mile radius who got an XE instead of a NES. And frankly I was embarrassed to own it at the time. People would come over: "Wheres your NES? What the heck is THAT?"

Now I love it for oddly that same memory. So many lonely, lonely rounds of Joust.

• Like 4

The XEGS is an interesting addition to the A8 line, for an Atari Computer enthusiast. It's most redeeming quality is that it's an "Atari 5200 done right." However, in the annals of videogame history, it barely registers a blip. For an Atari collector, it does ever-so-much-more-so.

This is spot on. I seem to recall a post somewhere here on AA that Atari at the time, made the XEGS for that reason (The Atari 5200 done right). It was also a way to make the 8-bit line of computers live on just a little longer. I don't know if it had that effect, but I could see that being a reason for it back in day. Hind sight is always 20/20. It's easy to say today that it wasn't that great of an idea, but put yourself back then. It seems to make perfect sense: A game system that can actually be upgraded to a real computer and it capabilities were not really that far off from the first gen NES titles. It is my favorite Atari 8-bit computer. It's basically an 800XL with detachable keyboard (and much better stock composite video out as well).

This is spot on. I seem to recall a post somewhere here on AA that Atari at the time, made the XEGS for that reason (The Atari 5200 done right). It was also a way to make the 8-bit line of computers live on just a little longer. I don't know if it had that effect, but I could see that being a reason for it back in day. Hind sight is always 20/20. It's easy to say today that it wasn't that great of an idea, but put yourself back then. It seems to make perfect sense: A game system that can actually be upgraded to a real computer and it capabilities were not really that far off from the first gen NES titles. It is my favorite Atari 8-bit computer. It's basically an 800XL with detachable keyboard (and much better stock composite video out as well).

I can see that, but ultimately the 7800 should have been the 5200 done right. I don't really know how much it cost Atari to develop the XEGS, but it certainly wasn't insignificant. I just imagine what-if that went into software development for the 7800 and more extensive use of Pokey (or development of Gumby) on 7800 carts for sound.

I can only anecdotally recall being the only kid in what felt like a million-mile radius who got an XE instead of a NES. And frankly I was embarrassed to own it at the time. People would come over: "Wheres your NES? What the heck is THAT?"

You sound like my cousins. They had an XEGS, back before I realized home games existed (I was 6). I was impressed, asked my parents for one... received an NES set for Christmas a year later. And then the NES never got Dig Dug. :(

You sound like my cousins. They had an XEGS, back before I realized home games existed (I was 6). I was impressed, asked my parents for one... received an NES set for Christmas a year later. And then the NES never got Dig Dug. :(

We should have traded! :)

I can distinctly remember my dad saying "we got you this one instead of a nintendo because it's not just games, it's a computer, you can learn something, programming maybe."

I believe I ran ONE seagull animation program (which may have even been in the manual? No idea where I got the code for it) and was like "yeah nuts to this". 20 mins of typing, then 20 mins of proofreading, for a crap seagull animation. Woohoo.

I didn't actually dislike the system....I just disliked being the weird kid with the system no one else had. Want to see a NES kid circa 1989 or so disappointed? Tell them you've got Bug Hunt and Missile Command...and a flight sim

I can distinctly remember my dad saying "we got you this one instead of a nintendo because it's not just games, it's a computer, you can learn something, programming maybe."

For most kids (including myself) back then, we just didn't want to do that much work to play a game. I get that. On the flip side, for those type of kids that really wanted to learn how to program and didn't have a home computer at the time, the XEGS would have been the best thing since sliced bread. It plays games and unlike this NES thing I've got a keyboard and data recorder (or disk drive). It was really an inexpensive way to get a home computer into the homes back in the mid/late 80's. A lot of us forget that not every home had a computer back then (that didn't really happen until after 1993 because of the "world wide web"-does anyone call it that anymore?-). So for some parents, the idea of a game system becoming a computer was still somewhat attractive.