IGNORED

Impressive Pac-Man inspired Board game

slx

I played this at a local vintage game swap meet / fair today and found it both cleverly designed and impressively crafted. The board weighs in at almost 20 lbs. and feels rock solid. The "dots" are solid little columns that retract easily when "Pac-man" moves over them and they can be reset with two big, solid levers arching over the tunnel.

"Lives" are simulated by having three Pac pieces and energy pills allow the Pac player to move three times in a row. Moves are by (20-sided?) die. The Ghosts player has two dice with one determining the colour of the ghost to move and the other the number of paces. The ghosts' maximum movement is less than Pac's for balanced gameplay.

If you don't play it can be hanged on a wall as decoration. Looks like a must-have den deco for any Pac-man fan to me, although it's quite steep. They asked 300€ at the fair with the regular price even higher. The craftsmanship is superb, though, and I'm sure it's well worth the money. You even get a plaque with a serial number.

• Like 1

I've got this crazy magnetic game that requires no power whatsoever. The joystick at the bottom tilts the playfield, guiding both Pac-Man and the monsters through a rudimentary maze. Fruits are printed on small metal plates which hang down from posts... you "eat" them by running Pac-Man into them, then taking them to a safe house on the edge of the playfield. It's a clever toy, but sadly, the magnetic playfield eventually loses its strength, rendering it useless.

Reminds me a bit of the MB release pac-man board game of 1982. Granted you play with 4 pacmans and 1 ghost instead of one pacman and 4 ghost . But even if you buy 4 mb games and use the rules of this version, it's a whole lot cheaper.

I'm alsoma hugh boardgame fan, but i won't be paying this much for a board game, no mather how nice it looks.

Heck i even didn't buy the limited edition settlers of catan board game was released, since it costs 75 euro.

I think it's worth the money from a cost of materials/labour point of view and probably an investment as Pac man is an icon of videogaming known beyond a small Circle of vintage game collectors and bound to stay rare at these prices but I couldn't bring myself to buy it as an imvestment as that would mean leaving it in the box rather than playing.