IGNORED

New Lynx (wannabee) programmer and (wannabee) game PONG

toyamigo

Hi Atary Lynx Fans!

After done the excellent tutorials from LX.NET (Alex) I thought it was time to treat the Lynx world on a new game.

For the sake of nostalgia I decided it had to be...PONG.

Little did I know a few hundred people did it before me but since I had a bit of progress I decided to continue anyway.

This project was all about learning Lynx programming and less about creating a million dollar game.

When I was at a certain point where the game was playable I showed it to LX.NET and his enthousiasm made me decide to put it on here for others to watch/play/judge.

So...this is it...my first game. I wanted it to be close to the original so I kept everything clean and simple. There are lots of points for improvement though, I'll do them as I progress with my programming knowledge.

Think about real one player game with a real computer opponent. Or having a choice at start wether you want to play the 'classic' pong or the 'modern' with improved graphics.

i realize I still have a long road ahead but so far I'm having lots of fun!

Comments are very welcome and I hope you have fun.

Greets,

Tony

lynxpong.jpg

Pong.zip

• Like 2

Well, it is very rewarding to see that the tutorials are put to good use. That was the intention. What's more important is that there is a new developer for the Lynx. And, after getting past the startup problems (I have modified the tutorials and will tweak them some more), Tony was able to get the Pong game to its current state in about two days. Just imagine what he can do with extra time...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here's an update because you haven't heard from me for a while.

Since I still can't find a job as (Java-)developper I'll try a different approach. Today I started an online course "Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems". To specialize myself, get some more experience with Java programming and have more chance for getting a job.

When I have some spare time I'll continue my Lynx program and keep you up to date.

Grts

Tony

• Like 1

Android is a nice platform. But to create a living out of it may be tough.

On the other hand... All the games I have purchased for myself recently have been Android games from Google Play.

So there is a lot of money in creating Android applications.

During the last month:

Simon the Sourcerer - excellent retro game from Amiga €2.50

Bards Tale - (have not started to play it yet) €1.50

Comic Reader (get rid of adds) - €1.50

But you need to be selling them in thousands to get any salary at all as the price level for Android is so low.

One Finnish company made a very successful game recently Angry Birds. Simple gameplay and addictive game.

If you have the talent to make a good Android application for Google play it shows a few things:

- you can finish a job (this is the most important factor I look at when hiring programmers)

- in job interviews you can show it so that they can see what kind of programmer you are

Doing a real application is also a great way to learn programming.

Just pick an easy enough target that can be completed by one man.

On the other hand. Your choice of Pong shows that you already have your feet on the ground and can finish a job :)

Good luck,

Karri