IGNORED

best controller port location on 2609?

grips03

I'm making a kit to add db9 ports to first model Intellivision (2609). This would make it more like Sears.

This is mainly for a person on the forum that wants to add Zoe RGB upgrade to PAL Intellvision that uses the same case as 2609.

First picture shows front top center of case.

Second picture shows bottom left of case. Zoe RGB installs near here as well, so might be an issue.

Any other spots you guys think would be good?

I should mention that user wants to keep stock controllers too, so I did not want to install near them.

post-27883-0-89773600-1387495130_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-97108200-1387495136_thumb.jpg

Edited by grips03
  • Like 2

IIRC "The Best Intellivision In The World " from a German eBay seller places DB9 connectors on the bottom part of the housing, on the inset area below the front woodgrain panel. Been awhile since I've cracked open a unit. I think such a layout would at the minimum require routing the cable a few inches.

• Like 1

IIRC "The Best Intellivision In The World " from a German eBay seller places DB9 connectors on the bottom part of the housing, on the inset area below the front woodgrain panel. Been awhile since I've cracked open a unit. I think such a layout would at the minimum require routing the cable a few inches.

I remember that one :)

I kind of like this area, but would reverse mount.

post-27883-0-56905800-1387497077_thumb.png

Edited by grips03

Here is a quick hack. Good news is the Intv2 Arcade Controller works fine on the 2609.

I should have mounted a little to the left, so that 2 ports would fit without touching the transformer. I'll post proper measurements over the weekend.

Screw heads will be gold in color to match Intellivision

White wires will be replaced by a 26 awg ribbon cable ~14 inches. 1.27mm pitch.

db9 port will have threaded inserts and IDC10 for the ribbon cable.

The way the wires are soldered to the PCB the wired controller would still work too. I would just turn off the Intv2 Arcade Controller when doing this.

post-27883-0-93232700-1387513468_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-18395700-1387513475_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-50090800-1387513480_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-75414400-1387513489_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-09204800-1387513513_thumb.jpg

Edited by grips03
  • Like 3

The only downside I see to putting the connectors so low is that attaching Intellivision II or Wico Controllers is not an option (90-degree angle plug would extend below the bottom of the Intellivision).

Great point. The Sears Super Video Arcade controllers would fit, but the Intellivision 2 controllers with the right angle db9 connector would not.

The end user in this case wants to keep the stock Intellivision controllers on the top, so its not likely they would plug in either one of those.

Do you have a picture of the Wico db9 port?

The Wico for the Intellivision has a replaceable cable so it has 3 different cabling options. To switch cables, you need to unscrew and remove a tiny plastic panel on the Wico.

• The Intellivision II cable. This is what Wico shipped with and is the most common cable option seen on eBay. This is the black spiral cable with the 90 degree bend at the end for the 9-pin connector.
  • The original Intellivision cable. This is the black spiral cable. Typically, the Intellivision is still hardwired attached to the other end. You have to disassemble the original Intellivision controller to free up the cable.
  • The Sears Intellivision cable. This is the black straight cable with a straight 9-pin connector at the other end. You have to disassemble a Sears Intellivision controller to free up the cable. I've never seen one in the wild like this but I'm sure some exist.

WARNING: Wico also released a near identical controller for the ColecoVision. It is not compatible and I've heard rumors that it can permanently electrically damage the port on an Intellivision II, Sears Intellivision, or ECS (rumor not confirmed). The Wico for the ColecoVision is far more commonly seen on eBay. The way you tell the difference is that it black spiral cable with a straight 9-pin connector at the other end.

Because of all this mess, I'm writing up "The Missing Manual" for the Intellivision Wico controller. It took me a while (and some purchases) to figure out some of this information. It shouldn't be long before I post it.

Anyways, here are 3 photos. The 1st is the Intellivision Wico with the Intellivision II cable. The 2nd is a Sears Intellivision controller (while not the Wico, you can see the cable the Wico can use). The 3rd is the ColecoVision Wico to avoid.

post-37124-0-19334400-1387658735_thumb.jpg

post-37124-0-81158700-1387659050_thumb.jpg

post-37124-0-99514300-1387659057_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was search through digikey.com and found:

H7MXH-0906M <--$2.31

might be a low cost way to add db9 ports to the Intellivision 1 (2609 model)

I bought one to check it out.

These cables are ok, but the TE / AMP ones have a little bit nicer connector, that holds the db9 cable in place better. These are good for the price. They are really like the drawing above.

Here are some photos with two ports installed. Port on left is player 1 and port on right is 2.

post-27883-0-97151400-1390021519_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-94266900-1390021750_thumb.jpg

Edited by grips03

I used qty (2) H7MXH-0906M (digikey) on another 2609 and its not as good as TE parts, but still work perfectly fine.

Just add a little hot glue to the 2nd player, so the ribbon cable does not rub on the transformer mount tab.

Edited by grips03

• 3 years later...

The hidden controller ports. :)

That looks like a pretty awesome way to do this?!

However, what is the reasoning for adding AV ports and these joystick ports on the left half of the console? Is it because there is more space? I get that, but you do realize that empty space on the left is where you push the AC cord and store it when the Inty isn't in use? This is why when I did the AV mod on my Inty, I installed the ports on the back right side of the case to keep the left hand empty area...empty for the AC cord to still fit for storage.

I like the left front corner as its hidden and out of the way, plus easy to access as its in the front of console. Top case can still be removed with no issue. Plastic is nice and thick so ports are supported very well. If installing in the front left corner just make sure to provide enough space for two db9 ports and ensure the right most ribbon cable does not rub on the transformer case.