IGNORED

Is there a list of arcade motherboards that take cartridges?

TheGameCollector

So far the only five arcade motherboards I have been able to find on Google that mentioned taking different games, usually in cartridge form instead of having to swap out entire JAMMA motherboards for each game are these:

SNK's Neo Geo MVS

Capcom's CPS-1

Capcom's CPS-2

Sega's Naomi

Sammy's Atomiswave

Are there any other arcade motherboard systems like these five where you can possibly consolize them and also browse online, purchase games specifically made for them on cartridge and build a collection? I figure it would be a lot easier to start arcade collecting in a couple years when I hopefully have a bunch of money saved up, and the best way to utilize space would be to go for systems that take swappable cartridges as those would be easier to store than a bunch of loose system motherboards. I'd like to try and get a running list going.

Edited by TheGameCollector

system16.com is a great site for info on arcade motherboards. There are many other arcade 'platforms' that offer swappable cartridges, daughter boards, cassettes, CD/DVDs, or hard drives to change games. MVS, Naomi, and CPS2 have the largest libraries and most popular titles, but some of the other swappable media based arcade 'platforms' include:

Nintendo Playchoice

Sega Megaplay

Atari System 1

Data East Deco Cassettes

Sega ST-V

Sega Chihiro

Sega Triforce

Sega Lindbergh

Taito F3

Taito G-Net

Taito Type-X / Type-X 2

Kaneko Supernova

IGS PGM / PGM2

Seibu SPI

Thanks guys, system 16.com is the kind of site I was looking for. I can at least check on each system type and see how many games are for each one, and it appears they usually have a picture of what the games look like. Many are just circuit board only and take 4 or 6 games each, but there's a few in there that take quite a few different ones. I should probably go for the MVS first and then just go for the ones that have the longest lists first after that. It's going to be a while before any of this happens but this will at least get me a scope in my mind of what to choose from. A few cabinets might be great when I get another place but I don't know if I could bring myself to fill a room with them.

So far the only five arcade motherboards I have been able to find on Google that mentioned taking different games, usually in cartridge form instead of having to swap out entire JAMMA motherboards for each game are these:

SNK's Neo Geo MVS

Capcom's CPS-1

Capcom's CPS-2

Sega's Naomi

Sammy's Atomiswave

CPS-1 is a typical JAMMA boardset; to change games you'd have to change each ROM chip individually. CPS-2 has an A-board and a B-board, with the B-board being the same idea as a ROM cartridge (though huge compared to even an MVS cartridge).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, system 16.com is the kind of site I was looking for. I can at least check on each system type and see how many games are for each one, and it appears they usually have a picture of what the games look like. Many are just circuit board only and take 4 or 6 games each, but there's a few in there that take quite a few different ones. I should probably go for the MVS first and then just go for the ones that have the longest lists first after that. It's going to be a while before any of this happens but this will at least get me a scope in my mind of what to choose from. A few cabinets might be great when I get another place but I don't know if I could bring myself to fill a room with them.

Go for the Sega ST-V eventually. It's a great little system based on Saturn hardware, and its cartridges are much smaller than MVS carts. Many Arcade-to-Saturn ports originated on this hardware, and several of the games can be found pretty cheap, like Die Hard Arcade.