IGNORED

OpenEmu 1.0 for OS X

SpiceWare

No, you don't have to compile it. That was only true for the pre 1.0 release.

The interface is still quite buggy at the moment. It crashes fairly often when adding roms and can randomly stop downloading covers. I plan to submit multiple bug reports and hope other people do as well, as this has the potential of being a really great app.

• Like 1

Got stuck working late yesterday so didn't get around to trying it out until today while mom was taking a nap (she's visiting for the holidays, dad's working in Africa).

Game Gear

post-3056-0-72925500-1387945003_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-17037700-1387945012_thumb.jpg

Master System

post-3056-0-71137300-1387945019_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-25783500-1387945027_thumb.jpg

Genesis - it didn't auto-find the artwork for these games.

post-3056-0-27877300-1387945034_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-44679900-1387945040_thumb.jpg

Quick slick. Worked just fine with my PS3 controllers. Would be nice to be able to adjust the image size, to compensate with my HDTV's overscan (it's a rear-project unit from 2001), like I do in MAME. OpenEmu might already have a way to do this, I just don't have time to investigate it until after the holidays.

Overscan compensation is in your OS X display settings. It's not application specific.

Yep, I've used it to adjust the mini so I could see the menu bar. I might be able to adjust it a little more, though I seem to recall I bumped it back due to garbage on the edges of some TV channels.

Edited by SpiceWare

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow. Looking good. This app was featured on iMore.com and I'm finally getting around to checking it out after being buried in MMO land for awhile lol!

My Mac Mini is my daily driver for now but I'd like to think that it's end of life fate will be as a set top box. The media features are just to useful.

I've got the 1.0 set up now but I was rather sad to see Stella isn't incorporated yet. Have you had a chance to play with it much at all? Further thoughts?

Haven't played it much due to lack of time over the holidays. My sister and nephew were in town this past weekend, we celebrated a late Xmas and mom's birthday. One of the things we did was have a blast going to Zoo Lights.

According to the Plugin Status page Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Jaguar emulation has already been ported. Don't have any idea as to when it'll show up in the release build. From the GitHub page I can see they used Stella for it (the Plugin Status page mentions Stella and z26).

I'll probably spend some more time with it this weekend.

Haven't played it much due to lack of time over the holidays. My sister and nephew were in town this past weekend, we celebrated a late Xmas and mom's birthday. One of the things we did was have a blast going to Zoo Lights.

According to the Plugin Status page Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Jaguar emulation has already been ported. Don't have any idea as to when it'll show up in the release build. From the GitHub page I can see they used Stella for it (the Plugin Status page mentions Stella and z26).

I'll probably spend some more time with it this weekend.

7800? This could be the answer to my prayers! I just need a new Mac...

Weird. They added it 9 months ago, so it should have at least been version 3.8.

I think 3.5 would be the minimum version required in order to play Space Rocks. 3.5 added the code to ignore access to MAMCR, which is updated by Space Rocks to partially disable cache in order to prevent that ARM crashing bug. Later versions of Stella fix other DPC+ problems that can probably be lived with, such as having solid and vector asteroids at the same time.

Well, it has promise. But I've seen a lot of attempts at decent emulation front-ends for the Mac that never panned out. I'm not holding my breath. I wish them the best of luck though.

Not much to hold your breath for. This is a functioning front-end that works well right now.

• 1 month later...

Just to add my 10c - I've been using this for quite a while, and using the experimental build ( a few bugs but already great) so playing 7800, 2600, CV etc., and it is just AWESOME.

A beautiful front end, easy to manage content, add custom art work to and a joy use!

As soon as Kiosk mode is in (so you can troll the UI with a joypad) it will be a perfect system for me.

I only hope the team decides to add A8 support alongside 5200.

sTeVE

Aw no!

It says, "#define STELLA_VERSION "3.4.1""

I guess no Space Rocks unless they use greater than 3.7.2 ?

They've updated to 3.9.3

https://github.com/OpenEmu/Stella-Core

I tried installing the experimental build to check it out, but it won't let me add any 2600 games. Possibly it didn't like that I downgraded from version 1.0.1 to 1.0-experimental. Don't have time at the moment to investigate the problem.

They've updated to 3.9.3

https://github.com/OpenEmu/Stella-Core

I tried installing the experimental build to check it out, but it won't let me add any 2600 games. Possibly it didn't like that I downgraded from version 1.0.1 to 1.0-experimental. Don't have time at the moment to investigate the problem.

I believe that the file extension needs to be ".a26". However, I haven't been able to get it play any 2600 games since the core was updated.

EDIT: New core was buggy and has been fixed.

https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/issues/1179

Frantic20140227 is running.

Edited by Nerf Herder73

saw that, but the buggy core was from over a week ago so I don't think that was my problem as I'd downloaded it yesterday.

Turned out to be the extension, changed them to a26 and was able to add a number of games without any problem.

post-3056-0-33867800-1393775890_thumb.png

Do you know if they expose Stella's internal configuration? I couldn't figure out how to turn on phosphor mode for Stay Frosty 2.

post-3056-0-60389300-1393774978_thumb.png

I suspect it'll look fine on my HDTV as it's CRT based (a rear projection unit from 2001). I'll try installing experimental on the Mac mini later today as my folks will be here soon, we're heading out for brunch.

Edited by SpiceWare