IGNORED

Space Raid for Intellivision (early alpha screenshots)

nanochess

After single stepping through the *.gif it looks like objects just "pop-up" on the right and disappear before they go off screen on the left which doesn't seem as smooth as it could be. It could be a trick of the *.gif conversion process (it does make things look jerky) but if they are MOBs you could position them slightly off screen in X without them wrapping around the screen to the other edge. For a good example of this technique have a look at my Halloween 2013 game. That way they'd slide onto the screen move diagonally and then slide off and it'd look silky smooth. However, if they aren't MOBs and are BACKTAB cards maybe having multiple shifted copies in GRAM could be an option or if there is no space in GRAM you could reprogram them on the fly.

After single stepping through the *.gif it looks like objects just "pop-up" on the right and disappear before they go off screen on the left which doesn't seem as smooth as it could be. It could be a trick of the *.gif conversion process (it does make things look jerky) but if they are MOBs you could position them slightly off screen in X without them wrapping around the screen to the other edge. For a good example of this technique have a look at my Halloween 2013 game. That way they'd slide onto the screen move diagonally and then slide off and it'd look silky smooth. However, if they aren't MOBs and are BACKTAB cards maybe having multiple shifted copies in GRAM could be an option or if there is no space in GRAM you could reprogram them on the fly.

I'm using MOB for displacing smoothly elements.

I could make them to disappear smoothly into the left, but also I want to put the level indicator, and the two things are mutually exclusive...

I could make them to disappear smoothly into the left, but also I want to put the level indicator, and the two things are mutually exclusive...

How about reprogramming them on the fly with some of the left columns of pixels missing so you'd display a frame with column 0 all blank and then columns 0 an 1 all blank, then columns 0, 1, 2 and so on. That way the eye would be tricked into thinking that they had moved behind the level/height indicator. It just means that you need more ROM for the game to hold the extra images.

How about reprogramming them on the fly with some of the left columns of pixels missing so you'd display a frame with column 0 all blank and then columns 0 an 1 all blank, then columns 0, 1, 2 and so on. That way the eye would be tricked into thinking that they had moved behind the level/height indicator. It just means that you need more ROM for the game to hold the extra images.

I've thought about that but also I want to put a background displacing smoothly below the MOBs :). I think it's going to look great ;)

• Like 1

I've thought about that but also I want to put a background displacing smoothly below the MOBs :). I think it's going to look great ;)

Interesting! If you didn't want the fuel and score on the screen all the time you could use the horizontal and vertical delay registers to scroll the screen left and down. That might save you quite a bit of GRAM and BACKTAB reprogramming on the fly. It will change the visual style of the game but its always a compromise in how you want it to look and how it eventually looks ;).

• Like 2

Nano,

With the understanding that this game is very early in its development, I was wondering if you had given any thought as to how the game will be released (ROM only, cart, cart/box/overlays)?

Not sure yet about overlays, but I've thought at least in cart/box/manual for some future release.

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 1