IGNORED

Atari Gamer - Digital Magazine

snicklin

Hand a slight hand in this myself (you can 'blame' me for the Lost games/8-Bit triva, A8 Piracy and Atari Computers In Europe articles), done my humble best to do my research and basically get stuff out there, which i've yet to see covered in likes of Gamestm or Retro Gamer and try and paint various apects of the A8 in a new light.

I'm no Atari Expert, nor jurno.etc, just trying to give something back to the A8 community.Well aware of this site's ahem, history with a 'fellow writer'...but hope that's all in the past and your happy for discussion to take place on here regarding the magazine.

Basically, i was bloody fed up with seeing no mention of A8 versions of 8 bit games in the mainstream press, so jumped at chance to try and do something about it.

• Like 1

Looking really good! Like the best magazines from 80s :)

Better than any 80s mag.

Only real full colour I remember was, at least, the States Atari Corp. ATARIAN and that one was ATARIAN from Atari Corp. themselves that was almost fully payed by the Advertisers, most of them stores that in the A8/XE Game System were beeing 'fooled' by Atari Corp. never released the games they were promising.

Edited by José Pereira

Better than any 80s mag.

Only real full colour I remember was, at least, the States Atari Corp. ATARIAN and that one was ATARIAN from Atari Corp. themselves that was almost fully payed by the Advertisers, most of them stores that in the A8/XE Game System were beeing 'fooled' by Atari Corp. never released the games they were promising.

I was thinking of certain magazines for other blasphemous 8-bit computers ;)

Something like Crash or Zzap :)

ZZAP and CRASH? Bump/kaboom!...

And once again me and this damned shit old mobile phone, "You will be redirect to another server" and probably, also here the Portugal Telecom (that soon will do a fusion with one of two Brazilian ones, OI with its African enterprises % together with some in Macau trying to enter, that its already near, enter the greatest/largest top ten world companies based in Portuguese beeing the 5th/6th talking language in the world. A good idea but I don't know if they are starting good ;) ... ).

Just a side note...

@Popmilo:Very early issues of Zzap64 were pro-Atari in places.You had quotes from coders/publishers saying how powerful A8 range were, how they never understood why they failed to take off in UK etc, plus Zzap 64 used the A8 version of: Bounty Bob Strikes Back for the C64 review (made it clear it was A8 version mind).

Then you had Archer saying just how superior the A8 version of Dropzone was, Ballblazer coders bigging up the A8 range, Jazza saying how much better A8 Elktraglide was.
I've tried to get similar message across in artices i've researched.

quotes from coders/publishers saying how powerful A8 range were, how they never understood why they failed to take off in UK etc,

Personal opinion on that. In the early 80s (when money in Britain was more scarce) the C64 was cheaper than the Atari and so the C64 built up a large user base. By the time that the 65/130XEs were around and the price was much better, nobody wanted them as nobody knew anybody with one.

I am Atari mad due to a Dixon's deal that my Dad found some 25 years ago, with a 65XE and 10 games. He very nearly didn't even buy it for me as I had blew up my brother's Spectrum and the ZX81 stopped working at the same time which he thought I'd damaged but actually just had a faulty keyboard. He didn't trust me with it, but in hindsight says that in his opinion is the best present that he ever bought me.

If I ever buy a present for my daughter which gets as well used as my 65XE was, I will be very pleased.

... now... back to programming.

• Like 1

Thanks Remo,

Good lord the man is a fruitloop...

He get caught every time yet still carries on, he must be bored in sunless old Dublin.....

I suspect this magazine will be the work of wiki and not research, what a strange twisted individual, obviously has more cogs loose than I do. Now must dash I'm just doing the finishing touches to my first game called Call of Duty...my next game is called Tomb Raider..

Edit: After having a wee think about that bloke and his continued Walter Mitty world it just shows you that you can make money with bullshit in the media business. Back in the PSX days we used to get Stuart Campbell the pretty well known freelance jurno pop into the Playstation newsgroup, we gave him loads of crap because he would bite easily but he was ok about it even when a now retro game writer with the initials GG (pretty sure TMR will know who I mean and please rib GG about it if you do) offered Stuart a copied PSX game. When the shows came around it was fun to see Stuart avoid our little group when he spotted us, the term "ran like hell" comes to mind.

But the point is that he DID know his stuff, he was a proper paid up Jurno with a press pass to get him in No.10 Downing Street and he knew his games, so it annoys me when BS folk stand to make money from C&P journalism. I like many here was around at the start of the home computer era, it was and continues to be my favourite period of my life and it was the Atari that gave me my first real hobby and job after teaching special needs kids. I was lucky enough to meet a few of our hero's, I really did sell Archer McLeans his first disk drive, hardly amazing tho, I was tech sales for Maplin and we were the biggest Atari dealer in London, hardly a stunner we got him, Adam Billyard, Paul Daniels and the Atari Age folks in the shop. Adam even remembered it when he popped in here a year or so ago.

I've been very lucky to be in the right place at the right time during the 8 & 16 bit era, I've seen some folks like Jeff Minter long before he was famous and been on the scene side as well and its great honest memories that still make me feel the computer buzz.

Just a shame we get idiots like this one recreating times to suit himself, I shall await a pdf of that mag (not buying on principle) and like many read through and highlight the nonsense and then post it to his Dublin email addy :)

Thanks Remo, I enjoyed the read thanks to those links, what a real plonker that man is.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 7

Ahem, 'The Man In Question' has just had the A8 reviews that are on his site copied across into the magazine.Not sure if he's written any articles, as not even seen complete finished article and i helped research a good few articles for it.

I can assure everyone on here not a single search engine or any form of online activity took part in the creation of them, as unlike ahem, other writers, say no more, i owned my A8 at the time of release and bloody loved it for years, then due to lack of software, moved onto a C64.Picked up another 800XL (with Disk Drive this time) and 600XL few years later.
My research has been done using quotes from industry figures etc from that era and shed light on just why a good few A8 games i really wanted never appeared.
A good few of us have put an awful lot into getting this product out there, for the community, all i'd ask as mere minion, is that it's given a chance and each article reviewed on it's own merits.

As for:Stuart Campbell-well known UK jurno.for numerous reasons, he has fallen foul on various forums regarding his work in past for Retro Gamer, Neo-Geo crowd took great offence over his Metal Slug feature, the Kick Off piece was always going to cause massive headaches, but then in fairness way he acted on the various forums over just these 2 alone was always going to end the way it did.

I'm more than happy for any constructive critiscm about my 'works' in the A8 magazine, got my rough copy notes here, happy to name sources, once publication is out in the wild.It's not paid for work, just done it to try and adress the gulf that still remains regarding A8 coverage in UK press.It was'nt all C64/Speccy/CPC here, let alone getting me started on the bloody claim the NES saved UK gaming....

Starting a flame war is not the best idea, in a world where NEW Atari 8bit magazines are scarce / rare to find. I wish the publishers / creators all the best. Oh, if you need a cheap printing company , i know one, in Groningen Holland. They even are cheap. Only print on demand (buyers) you get the profit.. They print books, magazines, etc. IM me, if you want your magazine in print. This dutch company needs your design works/pdf or whatever, and then they put it in their so called "Shopping window" on their homepage. Whenver any friend or Atarian wants the magazine, this company prints it in-house on paper,and sends it to the customer. You say the price. The expences/ cost are paid by customer, and you get profit.

This is by no means any spam, because i do NOT mention the companys name. I got in touch with this company because i write novels and was looking for a cheap publisher with good deals concerning copyrights for myselve. So, as a writer, i try to help other writers like the folks who are making this new Atari 8bit magazine. Seems they dont have a print version yet.

Edited by Stormtrooper of Death

As for:Stuart Campbell-well known UK jurno.for numerous reasons, he has fallen foul on various forums regarding his work in past for Retro Gamer, Neo-Geo crowd took great offence over his Metal Slug feature, the Kick Off piece was always going to cause massive headaches, but then in fairness way he acted on the various forums over just these 2 alone was always going to end the way it did.

I'm more than happy for any constructive critiscm about my 'works' in the A8 magazine, got my rough copy notes here, happy to name sources, once publication is out in the wild.It's not paid for work, just done it to try and adress the gulf that still remains regarding A8 coverage in UK press.It was'nt all C64/Speccy/CPC here, let alone getting me started on the bloody claim the NES saved UK gaming....

Isn't Stu the one who so graciously shit all over the pre-release version of Space Giraffe for the official XBox magazine, which really killed sales of the game?

@Stormtrooper:Exactly, i mean come on guys, at least wait until magazine is out and reserve judgment until then.None of us who worked on it have done it for profit, just given time freely.

I personally was sick to death of thing's like Gamestm looking at C64/Speccy/CPC versions of 8 Bit games, but never anything as far back as when the A8 was around.Retro Gamer often fell foul of A8 version just being listed, but unlike even the BBC version, no screens or text description of.EDGE would only ever mention the A8 hardware in a 65XE- what an earth were Atari thinking? type mockery stance.

Do we really want the A8 ranfe to continue to be sneered at/ignored by the mainstream press?.It's hardly good for the community in general is it?.

@Stephen:I really should know the answer to that one, as i was an OXM subscriber and do recal it getting a slagging at review.I know Stuart has posted a rant on NUON Tempest 3000 on his site, seem to recal he wrote a scathing review of Defender 2000 for ST Format and i swear it's his review (re-jig of the ST Format review) that appeared in EDGE 3/10 i seem to recal, but EDGE don't name reviewers, so cannot say for sure.Stuart always given the retro features for EDGE, PC Zone etc.

I quote

I'm no Atari Expert, nor jurno.etc, just trying to give something back to the A8 community.Well aware of this site's ahem, history with a 'fellow writer'...but hope that's all in the past and your happy for discussion to take place on here regarding the magazine

Surely two requisites that a magazine telling a story needs..

Do we really want the A8 ranfe to continue to be sneered at/ignored by the mainstream press?.It's hardly good for the community in general is it?.

But we as Atarians ignore the UK press ignorance of the machine...

As for doing it for free....Very unlikely, pulease........Working for free is one of the great lies of the age....

As said Campbell although unliked knew his stuff and at least said what he felt, as a person who saw his posts to the MAME team attacking their arrogance I understood his thoughts.

Ohh and i believe Sensible Software gave him some graph paper and a crayon and he did some 'level design' for Cannon Fodder 2 or something.Always found the 1st game hideously over-rated, so showed little interest in the 2nd.

Cannon Fodder one was a fantastic game that I awaited the very day of launch getting the bullet keyring given to retailers, to say it was over rated is rather worrying of your ability to spot a good game, Cannon Fodder has been universally rated as a top quality selling game that shifted untold units on many platforms, Cannon Fodder 2 was merely a level add on that took the pee by launching as a full game....On that I agree, but One is quite rightly acclaimed as a fantastically playable game as was Sensible Soccer...

I excuse Sensible Golf as a game too far....