IGNORED

Telnet - Getting your TI on the Internet & TI BBS's

Omega-TI

Okay, I thought the Lantronix had some sort of menu interface.

I in the old days', seem to remember a command for local echo that would enable one to see what they typed on a terminal to terminal connection, so I'm assuming that still available.. Now that was around 30 years ago, so I might not be remember it all correctly. This will all seem fast compared to the the early day's with a really lame TE-II and a TI 300 baud acoustic modem.

half duplex will echo every keystroke you make .. every term program defaults to full duplex

Hi all, if I can add my two cents here about telnet.....

I've been using a program on the pc called BBS SERVER, it is gui driven, and similar to TCPSER, which I have used as well. This programs works well, and it free!!

http://www.jammingsignal.com/leif/bbs/

I have it running on an old PC dedicated for serial use, and I run two different setups of the program on startup, so I can use both Com1 and 2 at the same time with various computers that I have. Works handy if I want to "call" myself with two computers! :-)

I haven't tried it yet with the TI, as I need to make the cable adaptor for the PEB, and up until recently I didn't have a half decent terminal program for it. I can't see why it wouldn't work though. I have used it for my C64, 128 and Atari ST, and have managed to get them to talk to each other, along with a few telnet BBS's.

Anyways, just wanted to share this program.......

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you were to get a Lantronix I would be more than happy to help you with the setup. Of course I am just familiar with the older UDS series (UDS-10, 100, 1000, 200). If you were to look for one I would recommend the UDS-10 model, as I had a few strange issues with the UDS-1000 model.

THANKS for the offer! I'll probably take you up on it a few weeks! :)

I just won << THIS >> auction on a Lantronix UDS-10, so after I receive it and get a cable cobbled together,

I'll get in touch.

$_57.JPG

I'm looking forward to checking out your BBS. In the mean time, what TI terminal program do you recommend?

I thought I'd get a start on reading up on it myself, but this is what I found at the Wiki...

Based on information written by Ben Yates and reading through the manuals I documented the process of setting one up. You can find this on the forums at: http://www.ti-994a.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/TI/P008-UDS10

That link is DEAD... :(

Be aware that I found configuring the Lantronix using the built-in Web Manager to not be very reliable - it would sometimes reset settings that I hadn't asked to be changed. Better off configuring it using Telnet.

Looking through Ben's instructions in the link above, near the end it shows an example of retrieving a page from the Yahoo web site. Many websites are now hosted on web servers which serve many websites (that is, many websites are on a web server which has a single IP address). The GET command therefore needs to be followed with the Host: parameter to specify the host name from which to retrieve the specified page. So a sequence to connect to a server to retrieve a page might be:

C198.136.54.70/80[>0D]
(wait for response)
GET /<name of page> HTTP/1.0[>0D][>0A]
Host: www.<host name>[>0D][>0A][>0D][>0A]
(wait for web page, which is returned with a standard HTTP header)

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

Thanks for the interesting data sheet, I can see that I'll remain slightly dazed and confused until I actually receive it and get it hooked up. I am puzzled though, as the pinouts in the data sheet by Ben Yates lists the pinouts as:

TI Lantronix

2 3

3 2

5 4

7 7

20 5

But in an earlier posting from Greg the graphic stated, and I also seem to remember 6 & 20 from my modem days. I wonder why there are two different pinout schemes listed?

20 6

6 20

1 1

7 7

2 3

3 2

Since I'll now be using my Y-Cable when this thing comes and using RS232/1 for the Lantronix and the HDX is on RS232/2, I guess I'll also have to reconfigure my HDX cable as it's plugged directly into the back of the TI as RS232/2 now.

Be aware that I found configuring the Lantronix using the built-in Web Manager to not be very reliable - it would sometimes reset settings that I hadn't asked to be changed. Better off configuring it using Telnet.

Looking through Ben's instructions in the link above, near the end it shows an example of retrieving a page from the Yahoo web site. Many websites are now hosted on web servers which serve many websites (that is, many websites are on a web server which has a single IP address). The GET command therefore needs to be followed with the Host: parameter to specify the host name from which to retrieve the specified page. So a sequence to connect to a server to retrieve a page might be:

C198.136.54.70/80[>0D]

(wait for response)

GET /<name of page> HTTP/1.0[>0D][>0A]

Host: www.<host name>[>0D][>0A][>0D][>0A]

(wait for web page, which is returned with a standard HTTP header)

No problem, thanks for the heads up, that is some good info and I will keep it on hand for when I graduate out of the minor league. This thing is going to be installed and configured from the TI. At first I only plan to Telnet with it to access the TI BBS and maybe to connect up TI-to-TI with someone else for the fun of it, if the situation ever arises. I have not opened my PC up for Telnet use, and do not plan to. So this thing will be strictly TI-Lantronix-Router only.

I figured that I'll want to use the easiest mode, program in a few macro's for ease of use and go from there. It's been around 23 years since I even played with Telco, so I'm going to have to learn it all over again as well.

I sure want to thank you and everyone else who is helping me out here, it feels like a steep climb, at least when I don't have the actual thing in my hands yet.

I already have Telco, but I read that at 4800 and over it starts dropping characters. So what terminal program so you recommend?

Thanks again!

Well I'm snowed in today on my day off, and I do not even have the UDS-10 in my grubby little paws yet, but I want to DO SOMETHING. So I got to figuring, I'll need to load some MACROS up in Telco with the necessary connect strings to BBS's and such, so...

Could anyone share a listing of the commands they use with their UDS-10? I may not be able to use them yet, but it'll make me ready to rock-n-roll when the time comes. :) THANX!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it finally my UDS-10 finally arrived. :) Hopefully I have the cable made up properly, and can figure out how to get the thing configured and operating from the TI. As luck would have it, it arrives just before I have to leave for work. I did plug it in, the lights came on, but nothing appeared on my Telco screen. I'll have to figure it all out later...

It's looks brand new!

gallery_35324_1001_411277.jpg

Mass Transfer version 7.0 (40 column TI only) should be out there somewhere as well. The main draw for Mass Transfer was, as it's name implies, the ability to transfer multiple files between two systems. It's two main protocols MXT Xmodem and Ymodem are the equivalent to Ymodem-Batch on the PC.

There were a few 80-column versions out there. Some, like Super Mass Transfer, use the extra VRAM and would be incompatible with the F18A.

This is an odd request, but I'd like do some experimenting as time allows...

Can anyone recommend an easy to install and setup 'free BBS package' that will run under windows 7? It would need to have at least one transfer protocol that Telco has and be able to answer a call via telnet. (I plan to telnet directly to it over the local network from the TI.) It does not have to be anything fancy.

Thanks!

Just a little preview of the simple TI web browser that I've been working on. This is running on my TM990 connected to a Lantronix UDS-10, but will be portable to the TI-99. Got as far as being able to specify a URL and retrieving the HTML for that page. Next need to start looking at a few simple tags (character underline, character small caps), plus a sprite pointer to click links.

Video: http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/z_ti_browser.mp4

• Like 2

Just a little preview of the simple TI web browser that I've been working on. This is running on my TM990 connected to a Lantronix UDS-10, but will be portable to the TI-99. Got as far as being able to specify a URL and retrieving the HTML for that page. Next need to start looking at a few simple tags (character underline, character small caps), plus a sprite pointer to click links.

I could not get it to display online for some reason. I had to download it first. I wonder why? Anyway nice start. Once the formatting is worked out and displayed without the raw HTML code it'll be really something!

Just a little preview of the simple TI web browser that I've been working on...

I know it's only been a few days, but I just had to bump this to the top again. Your browser has me feeling like a kid in a candy store. I'm really anxious to see this little wonder of yours hit the TI Community.

When you get to the point that you need 'Beta Testers', I'm sure a lot of us will be more than happy to oblige! :-D

CLIP.mpg