IGNORED

Anyone Mod the TI Sticks?

yell0w_lantern

I'm thinking about getting another set of TI joysticks and putting in micro switches. Has anyone tried this yet? I haven't gotten around to formulating a specific way but I'm considering pulling out the flex circuit and foam and using cut-down perf board and using the height of the switches to compensate for any height difference from the original setup.

I'm thinking about getting another set of TI joysticks and putting in micro switches. Has anyone tried this yet? I haven't gotten around to formulating a specific way but I'm considering pulling out the flex circuit and foam and using cut-down perf board and using the height of the switches to compensate for any height difference from the original setup.

Remember that you also have about a hundred (or so it would seem) diodes on the PCB to deal with as well. If this is a project for the sake of doing it the carry on, more power to you. If it's a project to get a better stick then maybe you should consider moding a different set of sticks to work with the TI. The diode problem remains the same I guess. Someone posted a while back about some New(ish) atari sticks available.

Personally I use an old NES joy pad. They are real easy to mod out for TI use.

• Like 1

This would be just for the halibut.

There's a certain nostalgia to them but it would be nice if they were more responsive.

Looks like, one could just remove the flex circuit and solder directly to the diodes. Even if the wires are broken just solder new ones into the board. Of course, one could always install new diodes on the perf board, there are only five. It's not like a Colecovision controller!

Edited by yell0w_lantern

This would be just for the halibut.

There's a certain nostalgia to them but it would be nice if they were more responsive.

Looks like, one could just remove the flex circuit and solder directly to the diodes. Even if the wires are broken just solder new ones into the board. Of course, one could always install new diodes on the perf board, there are only five. It's not like a Colecovision controller!

How did the 3rd party "splitter" work?

It let you plug any 2 atari 2600 compatible joysticks in to the TI.

I remember opening the splitter up as a kid, I don't think it had anything special in it.

No diodes, capacitors or resistors.

I used a ton of different controllers connected to the TI and never had a problem.

Standard 2600, colecovision, Super Action Colecovision, Amiga stick, a bunch of wico sticks.

I must say, the standard 2600 was very good! I say that as an Intellivision "fan boy". LOL

I remember opening the splitter up as a kid, I don't think it had anything special in it.

No diodes, capacitors or resistors.

See attached. I do not recall with certainty who manufactured this one, but I believe it was Navarone. We bought it from Target. Notice the diodes are not between the controllers but between both controllers and the console. Also, two lines lack diodes.

I, too, like the Atari sticks. Though my favorite was the Epyx with the micro-switches.

post-27864-0-03447900-1388499636_thumb.jpg

post-27864-0-51589700-1388499663_thumb.jpg

post-27864-0-95276200-1388499689_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

See attached. I do not recall with certainty who manufactured this one, but I believe it was Navarone. We bought it from Target. Notice the diodes are not between the controllers but between both controllers and the console. Also, two lines lack diodes.

I, too, like the Atari sticks. Though my favorite was the Epyx with the micro-switches.

JoystickAdapter

I have one of those too, but it' so big it drives me NUTZ. Now if you only use one stick, the diodes are NOT necessary. So just rewiring the joystick will eliminate the need for one. It's on my list of things to do.

I think I had a wico splitter...

The Epyx stick was very "stiff" Also, I used to switch hands on long playing games... The Epyx stick wasn't very left handed friendly... If I remember correctly?

I may still have one of these at the parents house? I tried every controller I could find. Never liked the LONG sticks that required big movement to change directions.

Any interest in selling them? I need test subjects.

I have a set I can contribute for the cost of shipping. PM me with your address and I will get you a shipping cost. (I have a few other people to take care of, too... just be patient, ya'll!) Heck, I think I even still have an original TI box for them. Quite the collector's item, eh? Maybe I should charge a meeeeellion dollars (or Spacebucks, whichever trades better.)

The Epyx stick was very "stiff" Also, I used to switch hands on long playing games... The Epyx stick wasn't very left handed friendly... If I remember correctly?

The 500XJ, right? I suppose not. This is where I get confused: I am left-handed but I seem to do a lot of things right-handed. I loved the 500XJ (still have a couple that are not yet disabled.) The fire-button (trigger) sits under the left index finger. (BTW, did anyone know they made a model for the NES?)

post-16281-0-22390900-1387793177_thumb.j

Some people just do not understand the curse it is being transdextrous. Or is that handedness-fluid? Ugh, better get on the phone to an advocate...

Also, see here (from where I stole the 500XJ image, heheheh)

• Like 1

It is strange... I play left and right handed, I bet most people here do.

Think about it. Pac Man, you play dominant hand.

Galaga, you play left handed. Because the fire button is on the right.

NES, heck almost every controller since, you use your left hand to play. D-pad on the left.

2600 and compatible controllers had a left fire button so you played right handed.

Unless, you had the joystick with fire buttons on both sides... Suncom Tac-2 or trigger controllers. I didn't mind the Coleco Super Action controllers.

post-16281-0-22390900-1387793177_thumb.j

That's about the one that worked best for me with the Amiga. Had about a dozen different joystick then - about late eighties. It was named Konix Speedking here.

I actually think it was the standard Atari 2600 joystick I preferred with the TI, and I was using an adapter like this one. You'd simply plug in one or two joysticks at either end of this parallel port thing.

atariadapter.jpg

:)

Switched from plain perf board to "Prototyping Perf Board 9.9x3.9 Perfboard Solder Pads/strips".

I traced the shape of the flex circuit onto the perf board and cut it out.

Mounted 4 2.5mm high surface mount tactile switches for direction and a taller (can't remember now, maybe 4mm) through hole tactile switch on the reverse side for the button. The button and part of the top of the case will require some minor cutting to allow the switch.

It seems like the stick will be a little loose so I might have to use bits of the foam ring to take away some of the extra room. Too much slack on TI sticks just seems wrong to me. ;)

I'll have to use the smallest gauge wire I have for hookups unless I want to start etching my own boards.

[EDIT]

I would just like to add that this project board stinks like an anatomy lab. My wife and I are calling it "cadaver board".

Edited by yell0w_lantern