IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

Now, for a stats update that came up at the end of last year:

At the end of 2013, Kaboom had a total of 101,777 minutes logged. Obviously Atarian7 is responsible for the vast, vast majority of those, but I wanted to find out whether he personally has crossed the 100,000 minute line just yet. So here are other players' aggregate Kaboom times from 2008 (when the tracker was first started) until now:

2008 - 990 minutes

2009 - 1238 minutes

2010 - 838 minutes

2011 - 786 minutes

2012 - 385 minutes

2013 - 121 minutes

For a total of 4358 minutes of Kaboom time played by other posters.

Therefore, at the end of 2013, Atarian7 had logged 97,419 minutes of Kaboom time, and as of the end of Week 1 of 2014, he's up to 97,706 minutes.

So, not quite to 10^5 minutes just yet, but getting very close. When you do hit 100,000 minutes, Atarian7, I think Al should post something to the front page of AtariAge! And I don't know if Larry Kaplan ever lurks here anymore -- long ago he posted three times to the 2010 tracker thread -- but I think he'd be pretty pleased to know that you've reached that (individual) milestone too.

• Like 3

When you do hit 100,000 minutes, Atarian7, I think Al should post something to the front page of AtariAge!

I second that! And while I'm already here, I might as well post my gameplay times for the week.

Atari 2600

Bowling: 609 min

Ski-Jagd (aka Ski-Hunt): 8 min

Yeah... 600+ minutes of Bowling. 10 hours. Look at me and see what the High Score Club Finals can do to you, hehe. The good news is that I managed a perfect two player game, i.e. 24 strikes in a row. That's 600 points. One point per minute played... I mentioned it elsewhere already: If anyone of you catches me playing this game ever again, shoot me.

C64

The Doomtunnel: 12 min

It's a text adventure. Every now and then I fire up an emulator and see what text adventures still need walkthroughs on Jacob Gunness's awesome Classic Adventure Solution Archive. This one here was so bad and buggy, I couldn't be arsed to grind on.

Game Boy Classic

Super Mario Land 2: 10 min

Game Boy Color

Tomb Raider: 3 min

Both GB games were cheap finds on the flea market early this day. Hands off Tomb Raider. Gosh, that game is awful. Talk about a system that's not made for a game... So it's a 2-d platformer. And a rather bad one at that.

• Like 2

Atari 2600

Kaboom!-392 minutes

High score of the week: 150,671

I remember that Larry Kaplan was here the first week I posted my high score of the week. It was in the

300 thousands. I think he praised me and awarded me 100 patches. LOL He added me as a friend

but I haven't seen him on here since then.

When March 1st arrives I might join the High Score Club for season 3 so my times will go down if I'm still

playing Kaboom!. I haven't decided on the HSC yet.

It says he was last active September 14, 2011.

Edited by Atarian7
  • Like 2

When March 1st arrives I might join the High Score Club for season 3 so my times will go down if I'm still

playing Kaboom!. I haven't decided on the HSC yet.

You're less that 2000 minutes away from "the zone" by now. I believe you can do both ;-). You'd be most welcome in the HSC. Not even necessary to play all weeks. Sporadically achieved good scores over the year usually are enough to reach at least the Bronze Medal Bracket at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (January 6th through 12th)... no Kaboom here, and no recognition by famous programmers, although I had a short e-mail exchange with Warren Davis (Co-Creator of Q*Bert) back in 1998...

Arcade:

Fix-it Felix Jr. (probably non-eligible) - 23 min.

King & Balloon - 29 min.

Locomotion - 30 min.

Time Tunnel - 60 min.

TI-99:

TI-Scramble - 10 min.

I played TI-Scramble on this week's TI-99 meeting using a small Atari joystick that has been converted to a joypad, but it did't work much better than other joysticks.

Time Tunnel is a train game where you control a locomotive which in the first round has to collect four wagons, then on the second level has to collect passengers from stations, and in the third level, you have to load the passengers into a flying saucer (!). I found this game via a Youtube video.

King & Balloon is a reworked version of Galaxian with similarities to Donkey Kong 3. The formation consists of balloons swooping down to a level below your launching base where a king walks back and forth and is captured by the balloons, then you have to shoot that balloon before it escapes with the king, because that event (but not your ship getting hit) causes loss of a life.

Finally, Fix-it Felix Jr. is a game where you have to fix broken windows in a building where Wreck-it Ralph (out of the Disney movie with the same name) stands on top and throws down bricks. The origins of that game are a bit strange. I downloaded it as a Windows EXE file which is supposed to be the game which ran in the arcade (which had PC hardware). It uses graphics and sound similar to an 80's arcade game, but a bit more advanced than "Crazy Climber" or "Donkey Kong". If you invoke the "Info" menu option, it states it uses a "Focal emulation testbed", where Focal emulation was also used on the Atari homepage to emulate their old games to make them playable online. The movie itself is from 2012. Therefore, I actually can't say which platform it really is supposed to be and if it's eligible, but I'd count it as non-eligible.

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, the imaginary arcade game in the movie is © 1983, which probably would mean rather advanced or at least detailed graphics hardware even for being a 1983 arcade game. But I realize the difficulty to be right on spot when making up history, it is easy to go overboard with technical details. Since the movie has been out for more than a year now, I suppose it is fine to add the spoiler that the movie contains references to another imaginary game, the racing game Turbo (not related to the ColecoVision game, as far as I could tell) and that game looked a bit more primitive, perhaps imagined to be more like 1981'ish.

• Like 2

Atari 5200

Miner 2049er - 30 minutes

Joust - 20 minutes

Colecovision

Lode Runner - 20 minutes

Battle of Hoth - 25 minutes

Atari 7800

Armor Attack 2 - 30 minutes

Plutos - 15 minutes

Frenzy/Berzerk - 15 minutes

Super Pac-Man - 10 minutes

Astro Blaster - 60 minutes

xbox 360

Call of Duty Ghosts - 10 minutes

• Like 2

My times for the week:

Genesis:
Pete Sampras Tennis - 102 min.
Sampras Tennis '96 - 27 min.
Traysia - 247 min.
True Lies - 224 min.
Sega CD:
Fahrenheit - 329 min.
Heart of the Alien - 197 min.
Sega 32X:
Fahrenheit - 56 min.
Beat Pete Sampras Tennis and, later in the week, the two different versions of FMV title Fahrenheit with my fiancée. Thoughts here. After playing through all three difficulties in the Sega CD version of Fahrenheit, we went straight to Hard in the 32X version and were able to 1LC it on our first try.
I also finished True Lies on Normal difficulty, despite some sloppy play that had me down to my last life when I started the final level. I'm curious what they change for Hard -- it doesn't seem like the kind of game that lends itself to scaling difficulty modes -- but probably they increase the damage you take, or decrease your attack power or ammo.
In addition, I beat the "Out of this World" half of Heart of the Alien, and started on the Sega CD-exclusive portion with Buddy's story. Truth be told, I don't much like it so far, but we'll see. I wasn't impressed by the Sega CD version of OOTW, though -- the updated sounds are corny and the controls manage to feel both accelerated and laggy. At least the 3DO port was responsive, but the SNES version is still my favorite.
Otherwise I made it through the second and third chapters of mediocre RPG Traysia, and won a couple matches in PAL-exclusive sequel Sampras Tennis '96 (which doesn't seem like much of an upgrade/update at all, frankly).
  • Like 2

My times for the week:

Genesis:
Pete Sampras Tennis - 102 min.
Sampras Tennis '96 - 27 min.
Traysia - 247 min.
True Lies - 224 min.

Those are some ... interesting games you played and played alot . I didnt know those games existed let alone anybody would play them :grin: But very cool nonetheless

• Like 2

Heh, it has been a bit odd this week. I have a penchant for tennis games, so I'll play pretty much all of 'em, and True Lies is actually a decent run-'n'-gun, believe it or not. Some of my gameplay choices this year (and last) have also been dictated by the quixotic effort over at Sega-16 to beat the entire Genesis and (this year) Sega CD + 32X libraries. So more weird stuff'll be coming up, believe me! :D

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 2, running from January 6 - 12. We logged 3624 minutes of eligible play, playing 59 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 609

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 392

3. Fahrenheit (Sega CD) - 329

4. Traysia (Genesis) - 247

5. True Lies (Genesis) - 224

6. Heart of the Alien (Sega CD) - 197

7. Bust-A-Move Pocket (Neo Geo Pocket Color) - 120

8. Pete Sampras Tennis (Genesis) - 102

9. Flipull (NES/Famicom) - 86

10. Q*bert (ColecoVision) - 75

10. Ghosts 'n' Goblins (NES/Famicom) - 75

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 609

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 392

3. Q*bert (ColecoVision) - 75

4. Miner 2049er (Atari 5200) - 70

5. Joust (Atari 5200) - 65

5. Lode Runner (ColecoVision) - 65

7. Time Tunnel (Arcade) - 60

7. Astro Blaster (Atari 7800) - 60

9. Gorf (ColecoVision) - 45

10. Quest for the Golden Chalice (ColecoVision) - 40

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1009)

2. Genesis (600)

3. Sega CD (526)

4. ColecoVision (450)

5. Atari 5200 (232)

6. NES/Famicom (161)

7. Atari 7800 (150)

8. Neo Geo Pocket Color (120)

9. Arcade (119)

10. Atari Jaguar (67)

Our very own karokoenig achieves perfection at a rate of approximately 1 point per minute*, as Bowling takes the #1 spot, leads the VCS to the top of the charts, and becomes the 117th member of the 1000-minute club, just sneaking into that elite group with a total of 1003 minutes to date!

*(taxes and fees may apply)

• Like 3

Amiga:
Premier Manager 1 - 279 min.

This is the game I've played for the longest amount of time ever. Since I bought it more than 20 years ago, I've spent countless nights and weekends playing it, often in four player mode to easier be able to trade players. I once downloaded a demo of PM2 but didn't get into it, although reviews says the follow-up is better than the first installment (and PM3 again is weaker). Also I never looked into Championship Manager or any modern online manager game, I rather sticked to PM1 and perhaps Soccer Boss on the C64. Yes, I played Kevin Toms' original Football Manager too, but I think it is much too primitive for its reputation.

C64:
Salamander - 26 min.

A while ago, I completed the first level for what I can remember was the first time ever. On the second level, it surprised me by shifting from horizontal to vertical scrolling, and WOW! what a game once you have lots of power-ups! In particular when the screen suddenly flashes in light green and white, I get very strong feelings of a true arcade game.

Famicom:
Flipull - 24 min.

MSX:
Hyper Rally - 8 min.
Sky Jaguar - 19 min.

Unfortunately, I can't say WOW about Sky Jaguar anymore. When I was 13 years old, I thought it was a neat shoot'em up, but perhaps I didn't pay attention to the blocky moving screen. I am fully aware this is a technical limitation of the VDP, although modern programmers of MSX, ColecoVision, TI-99 etc have somewhat overcome this with careful planning of colour resolution.

VIC-20:
Fourth Encounter - 5 min.
Frogger '07 - 5 min.

• Like 4

6 hours of Bust-a-Move Pocket (NGPC)

45 minutes of Golden Sun (GBA)

10 minutes of Casltevania Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)

1 hour 20 minutes of R-Type (PS1)

10 minutes of R-Type II (PS1)

25 minutes of Super Street Fighter II (SNES)

20 minutes of Aero Fighters (SNES)

20 minutes of X-Men: Children of the Atom (Saturn)

15 minutes of King of Fighters R-2 (NGPC)

• Like 3

I had a good game going but just couldn't quite keep it going.

By the way... how long does it take to get 100k, roughly?

Here are my times for the week:

Atari 2600

Armor Ambush: 3 min

Gyruss: 52 min

Seahawk: 5 min

Space Invaders: 22 min

Spider Droid: 90 min

HSC Silver Medal Final and some testing of new additions to my collection.

Arcade

Galaga: 12 min

Played on the "Namco Museum" compilation for GBA.

Nintendo 64

Diddy Kong Racing: 5 min

Testing of a N64 Pokemon Edition console I picked up on a flea market. That console is so cute, it makes you wanna puke :-). I'll very likely resell that thing.

• Like 3

Frogger '07? Obviously sounds like an updated version. Is it on a cart?

Frogger '07 is a homebrew by Glen "Victragic" Richards. It is present on the Mega-Cart, but could be loaded with any 16K memory expansion. I'm unsure how it looks on a NTSC machine, part of the screen might not be visible. It is much better than both Sega's own Frogger port for the VIC-20, and frankly all other clones from back then. I'm not sure what to compare it with - if not the arcade game, at least it gives the Intellivision (and perhaps also ColecoVision) version a run for the money.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Here is my time for this past week (January 13th through 19th)...

Arcade:

Space Firebird - 41 min.

This is the only game I played this week. It's been a pretty busy week for me with visiting my mother in the hospital, talking with my father about what to do with her, a band rehearsal, a visit at the Dr.'s and a meeting concerning a marriage where I'll play with my keyboard in May. Thus I only had time for some gaming today.

The game itself is Nintendo's take on a space shooter, safe for the earlier Space Fever, which obviously was a Space Invaders Ripoff. In Space Firebird, you can find elements of the later released Donkey Kong 3 and other space shooters of the time. A unique feature of the game is that once per life, you can equip your ship with a shield, which then goes up through the whole screen and destroys everything on the way, while you can still shoot enemies above you. A level consists of 50 enemies, but not all of them are visible at a time (similar to Defender).

• Like 1

Wow, I forgot all about this thread and how awesome it is. The past year and a half have been so busy with a new job. Hopefully I can find more time to play this year and remember to post some times. :)

Atari Lynx

Double Dragon - 45 min. (For the Lynx HSC this month.)

Commodore 64

Double Dragon (1988 Melbourne House version) - 10 min.

post-31666-0-72673600-1390166964_thumb.png

post-31666-0-60769200-1390166965.png

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 3