IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

Atari 2600

Bump 'n Jump: 5 min

Defender: 16 min

Megamania: 4 min

Wall Defender: 41 min

HSC and a couple of flea market finds.

NES

Roadblasters: 9 min

Flea market as well. Game's not too bad, but nothing to write home about.

SNES

Spectre: 5 min

Vortex: 3 min

Master System

Battle Out Run: 8 min

Global Defense: 4 min

Marksman Shooting: 5 min

Safari Hunt: 6 min

Trap Shooting: 4 min

Mega Drive

Thunder Force IV (aka Lightening Force): 15 min

Except for the SMS lightgun and games, all flea market finds. Was a really good week. I'm especially proud of a complete Mega Drive 1 with Arcade control stick plus Thunder Force IV, all for 8 Euro. The Arcade stick works like a charm, but needs some cleaning up and a new ball. But I won't complain. Console works, and the game alone is worth more than 8 bucks around here. It's an absolutely gorgeous-looking shooter! I love it.

• Like 3

Only 16 minutes of Defender? I thought you were more into the HSC than that.

I think the game sucks. I can't be arsed to play it for longer than a few minutes at a time. The playtime of Wall Defender is HSC as well, as you know. It's this week's bonus game. That one is fun :-).

• Like 1

I think the game sucks. I can't be arsed to play it for longer than a few minutes at a time. The playtime of Wall Defender is HSC as well, as you know. It's this week's bonus game. That one is fun :-).

When I was a kid I didn't like Defender, but now that I've read the instructions and know how to play, it's a little more fun.

Megadrive:

Super Monaco GP - 68 min.

This is a game that I almost drooled about when I was 16 and saw it in the store. While I got an Amiga a year later, I never quite had a Formula 1 racing game, rather I played the Lotus type of games. In modern time, I have picked up this game - twice even as the first cartridge just stopped to work but it is ultra common so not a financial matter - and played it a little now and then. With recent comparison to Nigel Mansell on the SNES, which indeed is at least 2-3 years newer than Super Monaco, I ran a longer session but I must say my 38 year old self doesn't quite drool as much as my 16 year old one did. Quite possibly it is a game best enjoyed in shorter sessions, 5-10 minutes.

Apart from that, I haven't got any gaming done this week and don't anticipate time for any on Sunday as well.

• Like 2

When I was a kid I didn't like Defender, but now that I've read the instructions and know how to play, it's a little more fun.

Oy, 2600 Defender makes me cry every time I power it up. Defender Arcade is just about 1000% better.

Chetiry -- 30 minutes (2600)

Lexis - 16 minutes (Lynx)

Othello -- 14 minutes (Lynx)

Venture -- 1 hour (A8)

• Like 3

These are my times for this past week (March 10th through 16th)...

Arcade:

Frisky Tom - 21 min.

Funky Fish - 47 min.

Galaxia - 10 min.

Malzak - 9 min.

Atari 8-bit:

Flappy - 5 min.

Emerson Arcadia:

Frogger - 2 min.

Funky Fish - 29 min.

Turtles - 3 min.

Interton VC-4000:

Laser Attack - 1 min.

I didn't have too much time for gaming this week since too many other things were going on. Still, I managed to squeeze in about two hours of gaming time.

First, I played some games on the Emerson Arcadia, mainly induced by the discussion thread "Emerson Arcadia arcade ports". Frogger suffers from a collision detection error (at least on WinArcadia) which makes you hit the water when you think you've actually jumped on a turtle. Turtles isn't very good and differs considerably from the arcade original. It's somehow remarkeable that the enemies have been changed in nearly all home versions of Turtles. While the german marquee of the arcade version referred to the enemies being "biting turtles", they are bugs in the Odyssey^2 version, fish in the VG-5000 version (playing underwater) and trucks in the Arcadia version (which plays in a car park).

I tried Funky Fish because it's said to be one of the few fun games of the Arcadia. Indeed, the Arcadia didn't get too many games, and I know of only one homebrew game (Tetris), although I think Flappy Bird could actually look quite good on the system.

While trying these, I also played Laser Attack on the Interton VC-4000, Malzak, a bad Scramble clone, and Galaxia, a bad Galaxian clone.

Since Funky Fish is an arcade game, I tried the arcade version as well, and it has got considerably more variety than the Arcadia version since the gameplay changes substantially in Round 3 where you get a long tongue and have to suck in the enemies with it, which doesn't happen in the Arcadia version. Also, while on the Arcadia the fruits are always cherries, in the arcade version they turn to strawberries in Round 2 and apples in Round 4. I didn't reach round 5, but I guess the fruits would have to be grapefruit by then since they follow the fruit sequence of Pac-Man (with the omission of the orange because there's no fruit in Round 3).

Another obscure arcade game which I found on Youtube would be Frisky Tom, which is actually similar to Super Pipeline II on home computers. There are a few differences, however, and there also has been a handheld version of the game.

And today I tried Flappy, another Flappy Bird clone for the Atari 8-bit which, despite having been programmed as a BASIC 10-liner, turned out quite well graphics-wise, and also seems to have correct physics. You can find it in the "BASIC Ten-Liners - Contest 2014" thread.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 4

Games played last week - March 10th through 16th:

Atari 2600 Emulated (Stella 3.9.2)

1) Dig Dug (Normal Skill) - 61 minutes

2) Stay Frosty (Default) - 21 minutes

3) Vanguard (Game 1-BB) - 142 minutes

4) Wall Defender (Default with Difficulty BB) - 13 minutes

Atari 7800 Emulated (Prosystem Emulator 1.3)

1) Robotron 2084 (Novice Skill) - 12 minutes

2) Pac-Man Collection (Ms. Pac-Man, Plus Mode, Fast Mode, 3 lives to start, Cola Can and 1 player) - 25 minutes

Intellivision Emulated (jzintv 1.0)

1) Christmas Carol vs. the Ghost of Christmas Presents - 60 minutes

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 4

Not much game playing today...

Wall Defender (2600) 10 minutes

Just enough to make an honest attempt to learn how to play for the HSC. Maybe I'll try again sometime since I read the instructions AFTER I played :)

I also discovered that my TV that I love so much because it doesn't roll PAL games, also doesn't show the top of the screen where the score would be on Wall Defender :(

• Like 3

My times for the week:

NES:
Exodus - 8 min.
Genesis:
Granada - 53 min.
Quad Challenge - 33 min.
Game Boy:
Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands! - 244 min.
The Smurfs - 163 min.
SNES:
Combatribes - 42 min.
Goof Troop - 22 min.
Tetris & Dr. Mario - 28 min.
WarpSpeed - 392 min.
Beat WarpSpeed for the SNES by clearing all the missions -- except Practice which I did last year -- and Campaign mode. Later in the week, I beat Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands! and The Smurfs on the Game Boy, mostly played while watching TV with my other half. (A rather convenient advantage to the platform, I'd say!) Thoughts on WarpSpeed and Mickey Mouse, plus Fish Dude from last week, here.
Speaking of my other half, she and I played several 2P games on the SNES front. Beat-'em-up Combatribes is a fairly tough but by-the-numbers affair, Goof Troop is a puzzle-ish action game somewhere between Link to the Past and Kickle Cubicle, and Tetris & Dr. Mario is...well, it's appallingly laggy, actually!
Otherwise I pulled out the Genesis for the first time in some weeks, and tried out Quad Challenge, persisting until I was able to win a race. Then I took a crack at Granada for the HSC competition over at SegaAge. After a few tries, I made it to Level 5 on the hardest difficulty (without using any continues), and scored 545,941 points. I think with practice I could push to at least Level 6 or 7, but with no healing items and very tight time limits, a full 1CC run on this game would be extremely hard with the stock number of lives.
Oh, and I/we also played a fair bit of GameCube, though that doesn't count for the tracker. Specifically, I trudged through a few levels of Looney Tunes: Back in Action; played a few of Super Monkey Ball 2's "Party Games" in 2P mode, in between which I played a few rounds of 1P mode to earn points to unlock more games; and fired up repetitive beat-'em-up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the first time in months, clearing the second area in 2P mode on Easy.
  • Like 3

Addition to previous post:

SNES:

Starwing - 3 min.

This was due to I picked up three boxes of stuff last night, including another SNES that I had to play test. On the good hand, this console is much less discoloured than the first one, but one of the hand controllers seems to have issues at least with the Start button, but I'm sure it can be fixed or in worst case replaced.

• Like 2

Sorry, I just noticed I got something wrong again. There are more times to be added for the past week from yesterday's session which I didn't take into account...

Arcade:

Astro Wars - 2 min.

Emerson Arcadia:

Funky Fish - another 12 min. (for a total of 41 min. for the week)

Astro wars is a vertical shooter where you get attacked by formations of various alien ships, and the more you shoot, the faster they get (but it's NOT a straight Space Invaders clone). There's a series of 5 or 6 formations for which you have a time limit (amount of fuel). If you don't eliminate all formations in the time limit, it's game over. If you do, you get refueled and the formations start again. The catch is that if one or more ships from a formation escape through the bottom, the whole formation gets rebuilt. However, if you crash into an enemy, only the part of the formation that wasn't destroyed restarts at the top. Thus it's sometimes better to crash into the last enemy or one of the last enemies than to let it go off screen because the later means you have to spend more time shooting the same formation which goes against the tight time limit.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 1