IGNORED

Fix-it Felix Jr. is a real, playable game *NOT FLASH*

Apperently, there was a movie based off of arcade games of the games 80's You know, like Pac-man, Space Invaders, Rally-X etc. This game however wasn't actually in the 80's. It's a replica. The name of the game is Fix-it Felix Jr. The movie was obviously Wreck-it Ralph. (the bad guy) But nobody really thought it was a playable game. Yeah, there were flash verions, but I am not talking about them. This game was coded in C++ by the Code Mystics (same people who helped in the Atari Arcade Hits CD-ROM 1 & 2 from what I know) the same year the movie was released.

A handful of these Arcade machines sprinkled throughout Disneyland arcades. Only like 20 of them. The CPU unit was actually a computer (As I said C++) and making that the reason it was never MAMEable. (In other words, MAME, if you haven't heard of it, emulates real arcade games starting from 1975s "Gunfight" to the 2000s games) Getting to the point here, Someone who bought one of these game replicas for something outragous on Ebay, that would be 20K in the hole, looked at the inside of the cabinet, (If you didn't notice the cabinet was basically a Donkey Kong cabinet, that explains why no one in the movie made a reference to DK) and saw a computer. and gave us a link to the game

You get to play the arcade version of Fix-it Felix Jr. Not a Flash.

Here are the controls:

C - Coin

1 or 2 - Players to start

Arrowpad - Move

Z - Jump

X - Fix

And here is the download:

Fix-it.zip

Edited by Underground_Robot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I meant by CPU, I meant that instead of have a ROM, like in other arcade machines they whipped up something and put on Windows XP. Think soon there will be a rom for this.

You can't have a ROM / ROM set for this game, unless someone ports it to run directly on a particular hardware platform. If someone did that, ideally it would run on arcade Donkey Kong hardware (since they obviously used DK as a template for this game), which could easily be run in MAME with the DK driver, or burned to EPROMs and run on original hardware.

Game ROMs have an inseparable relationship to a specific hardware platform. For example, if you have a NES ROM you need NES hardware to run it, or software which emulates NES hardware.

With it being a Windows game, it doesn't run directly on hardware (The NT kernel doesn't even allow software to access hardware directly), so in order to have a ROM set, it would have to include not only the game code, but Windows itself as well. And then, what would you run it on? I don't know of any x86 PC hardware designed to boot from ROM, and even if there was, it would have to be a custom ROM for everyone, because there are so many different x86 hardware configurations, i.e., different video cards, sound cards, etc., that all require particular drivers. Plus I doubt Windows will even run if it has no place to write. It would all be pointless anyway, you might as well just run it on an ordinary PC with Windows installed, as intended.

I don't know how a port of this game to arcade DK hardware would come out. It looks to me that whoever wrote this game didn't pay a lot of attention to details such as whether or not the graphics they drew or the audio they used would even be precisely possible on DK hardware. It looks like they just winged it for the most part, coming up with graphics and audio that were generically "retro", but not a specific match to the capabilities of any particular classic hardware platform.

It could probably be ported perfectly to e.g. the SNES and Genesis, and probably pretty closely ported to the NES and SMS, but it isn't ideal for any of those systems, because, like DK, it is a vertical game, and no home console (aside from the Vectrex) outputs a vertically oriented display.

Edited by MaximRecoil

Apperently, there was a movie based off of arcade games of the games 80's You know, like Pac-man, Space Invaders, Rally-X etc. This game however wasn't actually in the 80's. It's a replica. The name of the game is Fix-it Felix Jr. The movie was obviously Wreck-it Ralph. (the bad guy) But nobody really thought it was a playable game. Yeah, there were flash verions, but I am not talking about them. This game was coded in C++ by the Code Mystics (same people who helped in the Atari Arcade Hits CD-ROM 1 & 2 from what I know) the same year the movie was released.

The word you are looking for is retro, which means something new, designed to look old in a favorably hip way. It doesn't actually mean old.

• Like 1

The word you are looking for is retro, which means something new, designed to look old in a favorably hip way. It doesn't actually mean old.

I was going to respond in kind. It is not a replica. A replica is a recreation or reproduction of an existing thing. There was never a "Fix It Felix Jr." game. It was made up for the movie. Then they made a real game of it to promote the movie.

That game was, on the other hand, made to look like an old school game of the 1980s. Therefore it is true "retro": meaning reminiscing of or made to look like a thing from the past.

dZ.

You can't have a ROM / ROM set for this game, unless someone ports it to run directly on a particular hardware platform. If someone did that, ideally it would run on arcade Donkey Kong hardware (since they obviously used DK as a template for this game), which could easily be run in MAME with the DK driver, or burned to EPROMs and run on original hardware.

I don't know how a port of this game to arcade DK hardware would come out. It looks to me that whoever wrote this game didn't pay a lot of attention to details such as whether or not the graphics they drew or the audio they used would even be precisely possible on DK hardware. It looks like they just winged it for the most part, coming up with graphics and audio that were generically "retro", but not a specific match to the capabilities of any particular classic hardware platform.

It could probably be ported perfectly to e.g. the SNES and Genesis, and probably pretty closely ported to the NES and SMS, but it isn't ideal for any of those systems, because, like DK, it is a vertical game, and no home console (aside from the Vectrex) outputs a vertically oriented display.

Oh, I'm sure Bob Decrescenzo could figure out a way to make it work on the 7800 Pro System... ...He's ported many vertical games already. But it would have to be something he was interested in...

• Like 1

Oh, I'm sure Bob Decrescenzo could figure out a way to make it work on the 7800 Pro System... ...He's ported many vertical games already. But it would have to be something he was interested in...

You can port a vertical game to a horizontal console; it has been done countless times, it is just not ideal. You have to either stretch things out, add new graphics that didn't exist in the original to fill out the sides, or simply pillarbox it.

As for classic 2D home consoles go, the SNES would work well (the Genesis too, but the SNES could do better with the speech as heard in the movie, i.e., "I'm gonna wreck it!", "I can fix it!", and so on). If I were doing it, I'd have it pillarboxed for normal horizontal display, but I'd have an options menu where you could rotate the screen 90 degrees to the right or left. This would allow people to turn their monitor 90 degrees to play the game full screen vertical, as intended. Another plus for the SNES is that it can do 15 kHz RGB without modification, so you could easily connect it to an arcade monitor.

I'm not so sure retro means something new...

Are retro-rockets nothing but old-fashioned rockets? No, they slow the rocket down.

Does the Turbografx have retrographics? Maybe it does now, but not when the games were new. Or, maybe the 7800 has retrographics because it's backward compatible with the old-fashioned 2600 games.

If I'm into "retrogames", does that mean I play new games that are "like" old games?

Or, if I'm into "retrogaming", it means that I play as if it were a long time ago?

To expand: when retro-gaming, you're deliberately playing games that were made way back then. A retro styled game is a game made in the style of games made way back then. Retro-rockets provide force back onto the rocket.

The first use, as far as I can tell, of "retro" as a style concerned clothing styles. It was for people who actually wore old things, but rather wore new things that looked old.

It's a subtle, if not entirely perfect, distinction.

A handful of these Arcade machines sprinkled throughout Disneyland arcades. Only like 20 of them. The CPU unit was actually a computer (As I said C++) and making that the reason it was never MAMEable. (In other words, MAME, if you haven't heard of it, emulates real arcade games starting from 1975s "Gunfight" to the 2000s games) Getting to the point here, Someone who bought one of these game replicas for something outragous on Ebay, that would be 20K in the hole, looked at the inside of the cabinet, (If you didn't notice the cabinet was basically a Donkey Kong cabinet, that explains why no one in the movie made a reference to DK) and saw a computer. and gave us a link to the game

You get to play the arcade version of Fix-it Felix Jr. Not a Flash.

Here are the controls:

C - Coin

1 or 2 - Players to start

Arrowpad - Move

Z - Jump

X - Fix

And here is the download:

attachicon.gifFix-it.zip

Works ok with Windows 7 but can't get it to work with XP. Am I missing something that XP needs?

That first video shows a pretty early version, the one that was released on NintendoAge. There was a second cardboard box release, with more music and added authenticities to the original arcade game.

Yes, additional copies of this updated version were recently sold on Nintendo Age (auction style sale). I have this version and it is excellent. Unfortunately, there are no videos of the updated version on YouTube. It has animation added at the beginning showing Ralph's tree stump being moved and the building being made.

Works ok with Windows 7 but can't get it to work with XP. Am I missing something that XP needs?

For those trying to run this on a WindowsXP machine and getting a configuration error, you need to download and install VC++2008 redistributable files. This allows the game to finally start up. VC++2010 and VC++2012 did not have the correct files to run it. -TheBasement

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?24664-Fix-it-Felix-Jr-The-Game

For those trying to run this on a WindowsXP machine and getting a configuration error, you need to download and install VC++2008 redistributable files. This allows the game to finally start up. VC++2010 and VC++2012 did not have the correct files to run it. -TheBasement

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?24664-Fix-it-Felix-Jr-The-Game

Thanks! That fixed it! Now I can play it on my DKjr arcade machine in full vertical mode!

Thanks! That fixed it! Now I can play it on my DKjr arcade machine in full vertical mode!

What are you using for a monitor in your DK Jr. arcade machine? Based on the chart in that thread I linked to, Fix-It Felix Jr. supports fullscreen mode in both 640x480 (100% zoom) and 320x240 (50% zoom). If your monitor is an actual standard resolution (~15 kHz) CRT, such the Sanyo 20-EZV or 20-Z2AW that would have originally come in a DK Jr. cabinet, then it may be able to sync directly to 320x240 @ 60 Hz. If not, then it would definitely sync to it if you dropped the refresh rate a bit, e.g. to 56 Hz.

Of course, you would need either an ArcadeVGA video card or a software solution such as Soft-15khz to get a modern PC to output such a low resolution to a monitor, but if you are already driving a 15 kHz arcade monitor with a PC you already know that.