IGNORED

Buying Homebrews - Avoiding Knockoffs/Pirates

wiseguyusa

The figure that seemed to be "median" was around $50 for a nicely packaged homebrew title and maybe the developer might break even.

So presumably $20-$25 homebrews on ebay are pirate/knockoff ?

I might be an abrasive smartass, but I am not the kind of a$$h0le that would take money from hombrew developers! jus' sayin'

Edited by wiseguyusa

Seems to me the original purchase price of a boxed honebrew is in the 50 range. That doesn't mean it won't be cheaper on the secondary market. I have not spotted a single homebrew under its original price though. In fact, I've seen two go for well into the hundreds...

Though I have seen many references to someone named "Hozer" who appears to be an occasional counterfeiter, among other things. I haven't dig too deep into old threads about that, though.

Homebrews aren't exactly easy to sell on ebay in comparison to the hundreds of other listings of official games listed for 10$ including box. You'd have to be able to produce the games so cheaply that I don't think it can be done for a profit unless the homebrew is notable enough to be worth that much. I forsee Princess Rescue being one of those games, there's already one listed for 150$ but it appears to be legitimate. Whether it will sell or not is another thing, but I digress.

Original sale price is not indicative of after market value. In most case that number actually goes down. You're better off making counterfeit prototypes.

usually a homebrew game is $20-$30 loose and $50-$60 CIB.

Everything depends on supply and demand. limited releases tend to bump prices higher after initial sale, better games sell out faster and are harder to find for a reasonable price.

knockoffs are usually Hozer titles, and you can usually spot a Hozer title quite easily by the ugly face somewhere on the label.

not all Hozer titles are knockoffs though. He does custom orders for people like AtariAge does but his stuff is nowhere near in quality.

2390139_orig.jpg

• Like 2

Homebrews aren't so popular with a few exceptions like Princess Rescue and Halo 2600

It's more common to see counterfeit cartridges of rare titles available commercially in 80's

Even that it's rare because Atariage members help, if you see something weird just check here in forums and someone will be able to tell if it's real.

usually a homebrew game is $20-$30 loose and $50-$60 CIB.

Everything depends on supply and demand. limited releases tend to bump prices higher after initial sale, better games sell out faster and are harder to find for a reasonable price.

knockoffs are usually Hozer titles, and you can usually spot a Hozer title quite easily by the ugly face somewhere on the label.

not all Hozer titles are knockoffs though. He does custom orders for people like AtariAge does but his stuff is nowhere near in quality.

2390139_orig.jpg

That "Edtris" was one of the ones that I saw. Is that legit? or knockoff?

Found a few more for $20 each. Prehistoric Times, Power Off!, Bomb On Pixel City, Merlins Walls, Video Time Machine, & Pesco

Legit? Knockoff?

That "Edtris" was one of the ones that I saw. Is that legit? or knockoff?

Found a few more for $20 each. Prehistoric Times, Power Off!, Bomb On Pixel City, Merlins Walls, Video Time Machine, & Pesco

Legit? Knockoff?

Edtris is one of the first homebrew titles, I'm not sure how the deal went down but afaik, Hozer is the only dealer of that game.

Prehistoric Times and Bomb on Pixel City can be bought from GoodDealGames but it is the same as what you would get by dealing with Hozer himself.

Power Off, Merlin's Walls, Pesco, and Alfred Challenge are Ebivision titles that Hozer has rights to sell (I believe, but could be wrong), but the AtariAge versions are of superior quality anyways.

Video Time machine is more of a demo. not something that warrants making into a cart IMO.

there's a few more I've seen on ebay recently.

Fatman - A Hack of Fat Albert, which is a hack of Fast Food.

Jungle Jane - A hack of Pifall

Fish Revenge - A hack of Space Invaders

Edtris is one of the first homebrew titles, I'm not sure how the deal went down but afaik, Hozer is the only dealer of that game.

Correct - Hozer was the exclusive distributor and the only way to purchase this Edtris when it was released in the mid 90's. Authentic original Edtris carts come with a round sticker stuck to the back of the cart with its serial number, which is also reflected on the games' opening screen. Also came with a colored paper manual. I see Randy's still selling Edtris carts, but they are un-numbered and come with a white instruction manual that's smaller in size.

• Like 1