IGNORED

My 2600 picture is distorted HELP

2600Guru

Hello everyone,

I've been having troubles with my 2600 for ever. It's starting to irritate me pretty badly, I haven't been able to play any those games in months. I asked around to try and figure out what was wrong, they said to replace the voltage regulator. I ran up to Radioshack, made sure I had the right part and replaced it. Anyways, before I ask anyone for advice you need to know what the problem is. The picture isn't great so I'll explain that too. Not all games do this but most. Othello, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, and River Raid are a few that do it. I played Golf a bit earlier and I had no problems at all. It seems like games with more colors and movements are more prone to the screen being distorted. The screen starts to get blurry and it gets worse after a minute. It moves around a little bit too. If I'm not being detailed enough, please don't hesitate to ask for me to be more direct. I want this thing in working condition. Any advice is highly appreciated.

post-32948-0-73408100-1389145869_thumb.jpg

Grainy interference from what I can see, perhaps your RF cable has become damaged. You ARE using an original switch type RF adapter (with the sliding switch between TV / Game) because the auto switching type do not work well. Otherwise perhaps it is the tuning of your TV? I assume you have the channel matching the output right? Cannot think of anything else........

Is that Donkey Schlong Jr.?

Yep - looks like typical RF interference to me. Probably worse when there's a hairdryer or microwave in use nearby, eh?

Get yourself a nice shielded 75ohm cable, maybe put some ferrite magnets around each (or nearest the input side) end and witness those noisy pics and humbars disappear!

75ohm cable... REALLY important when it comes to video. Look it up if unaware!

And yes... ditch the old TV switchbox if you're still using it. RCA to Coax adapter is imperative these days.

Edited by save2600

If it is "snow" after warmup then it is the green capacitor closest to the voltage regulator you just replaced.

Don't know why that one goes bad. There are others similar in there, but it is this one.

I just replaced mine in a Sears Heavy Sixer.

It looks like green Chicklet gum.

It is either .22uF or .10uf depending on Atari model.

I've replaced a .10uF with a .22uF because I had one and that worked just fine also.

Radio Shack has both. Two for $1.99. Picked up both values since I have a more than a few 2600's and this is common.

It's kind of difficult to see with the TV upside-down :)

Sorry, the new Ipods don't have a camera on the back so it was difficult to take a picture. I don't know how to turn flash off my regular camera.

If you have something that can record video, you could upload a video to YouTube so people can see exactly what is happening with the various games you mentioned.

I'll have to do that, if all else fails.

Grainy interference from what I can see, perhaps your RF cable has become damaged. You ARE using an original switch type RF adapter (with the sliding switch between TV / Game) because the auto switching type do not work well. Otherwise perhaps it is the tuning of your TV? I assume you have the channel matching the output right? Cannot think of anything else........

It does it on all TVs and I have the small RF/Coax adapter.

"The screen starts to get blurry and it gets worse after a minute."

Oh yes. Definitely the capacitor!

I'll have to fix that if the new cord doesn't work.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=3031&CAWELAID=1329448178&catargetid=320013720000010717&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJqy9YDS7rsCFYlAMgod_SsA7Q Is this a good cord to buy? If it's not the cord I guess the new regulator and cord won't hurt :)

Edited by 2600Guru

• 2 weeks later...