IGNORED

GTIA Blast update

José Pereira

I do appreciate the comment(s) about the last demo release of AtariBLAST! Of which it does hint as to what to expect in it to come....

There is a lot about this project that does remind me of how Hawkquest was developed - that HQ took 3 years of which it was a part-time development - that Andrew at the time - I think had 2 years of night Polytechnic study to do, such that he could only work/program it on weekends. That project at the time, tried to push the limits.

We had no real clue at that time - how long it would take.... Unlike AB! - HQ went down a clear straight line of development - with no real surprises along the way - but I have tried to put some surprises in the game still... I never really got much feedback about that game - so I can only guess that no one got stuck in the secondary game? That the game should not have crashed - but some levels were very puzzling in the scavenger hunt you had to go through....

For those who have not yet played Hawkquest - I'd think it is worthwhile trying it out, and I probably recommend playing it via Altirra/emulator - to save all the disk swapping inconvenience - and since most users here are NTSC hardware? it'll be the easiest way to play this PAL only game.

The special modified version can be found here.... http://hawkquest.tripod.com

Which Paul has modified some years ago....

While a cassette version was produced - it was done with a great deal of reluctance - because it's only the main game - you simply cannot replay the secondary - after failing once. To restore the game map, it has to be loaded into memory all over again. Hawkquest was never intended to be converted into a cassette tape version - because of how the game runs - via it's elaborate planet/level choice etc screen. Red Rat wanted a cassette version - even if it was very much a cut down / inferior version of it.

AtariBLAST! probably has another 1-2? years of development to go - but hopefully the wait will be worthwhile.

Harvey

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Many months ago it was still being worked on and looking Awesome as usual. I find that when I start to worry is right when something comes and now I no longer worry. I am pretty sure it's still going thru cycles of change and will be the best when it is completed. Last two things I have seen has me chomping at the bit for the baby bird to leave the nest.

_The Doctor__

All I can say - is that your patience is required.

And that it is hoped it'll make an appearance around the end of this year?

I would be interested to get involved with another shooter project - if there's a programmer who would like my graphics input?

I've always been a fan of shooters - and my graphics designs tend to be aligned with this - that I find drawing such graphics easier than other game types.

Harvey

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

is there an update for the 8 bit version of this? I saw the 5200 get posted yesterday.

Yes, there is an update:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214476-gtiablast-wip-demo/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3589779

I suppose it would be better if Harvey had started a new thread on AtariAge, with proper title, "new game" tag, gameplay screenshots etc. It's so easy to miss the news about the final version.