GTIA Blast update

GTIA Blast

158 replies to this topic

#151 kiwilove OFFLINE  

kiwilove

Dragonstomper

• 955 posts

Posted Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:10 AM

I do appreciate the comment(s) about the last demo release of AtariBLAST!  Of which it does hint as to what to expect in it to come....

There is a lot about this project that does remind me of how Hawkquest was developed - that HQ took 3 years of which it was a part-time development - that Andrew at the time - I think had 2 years of night Polytechnic study to do, such that he could only work/program it on weekends.  That project at the time, tried to push the limits.

We had no real clue at that time - how long it would take....  Unlike AB! - HQ went down a clear straight line of development - with no real surprises along the way - but I have tried to put some surprises in the game still...  I never really got much feedback about that game - so I can only guess that no one got stuck in the secondary game?  That the game should not have crashed - but some levels were very puzzling in the scavenger hunt you had to go through....

For those who have not yet played Hawkquest - I'd think it is worthwhile trying it out, and I probably recommend playing it via Altirra/emulator - to save all the disk swapping inconvenience - and since most users here are NTSC hardware? it'll be the easiest way to play this PAL only game.

The special modified version can be found here.... http://hawkquest.tripod.com

Which Paul has modified some years ago....

While a cassette version was produced - it was done with a great deal of reluctance - because it's only the main game - you simply cannot replay the secondary - after failing once.  To restore the game map, it has to be loaded into memory all over again.  Hawkquest was never intended to be converted into a cassette tape version - because of how the game runs - via it's elaborate planet/level choice etc screen.  Red Rat wanted a cassette version - even if it was very much a cut down / inferior version of it.

AtariBLAST! probably has another 1-2? years of development to go - but hopefully the wait will be worthwhile.

Harvey

#152 solaris104 OFFLINE  

solaris104

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Tue Apr 5, 2016 8:41 AM

Any news about game Atari Blast?

#153 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,767 posts

Posted Tue Apr 5, 2016 10:56 AM

Many months ago it was still being worked on and looking Awesome as usual. I find that when I start to worry is right when something comes and now I no longer worry. I am pretty sure it's still going thru cycles of change and will be the best when it is completed. Last two things I have seen has me chomping at the bit for the baby bird to leave the nest.

_The Doctor__

#154 kiwilove OFFLINE  

kiwilove

Dragonstomper

• 955 posts

Posted Tue Apr 5, 2016 7:20 PM

All I can say - is that your patience is required.
And that it is hoped it'll make an appearance around the end of this year?

I would be interested to get involved with another shooter project - if there's a programmer who would like my graphics input?
I've always been a fan of shooters - and my graphics designs tend to be aligned with this - that I find drawing such graphics easier than other game types.

Harvey

#155 funknflow5200 OFFLINE  

funknflow5200

Moonsweeper

• 276 posts

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2016 11:04 AM

is there an update for the 8 bit version of this? I saw the 5200 get posted yesterday.

#156 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,576 posts

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2016 11:13 AM

Where did you see the 5200 version from yesterday?

#157 funknflow5200 OFFLINE  

funknflow5200

Moonsweeper

• 276 posts

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:35 PM

Where did you see the 5200 version from yesterday?

in the 5200 forum

#158 +Adam+ OFFLINE  

+Adam+

Moonsweeper

• 485 posts

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2016 8:03 AM

is there an update for the 8 bit version of this? I saw the 5200 get posted yesterday.

Yes, there is an update:
http://atariage.com/...-3#entry3589779

I suppose it would be better if Harvey had started a new thread on AtariAge, with proper title, "new game" tag, gameplay screenshots etc. It's so easy to miss the news about the final version.

#159 Goochman OFFLINE  

Goochman

Quadrunner

• 6,988 posts
  • Moongates to the Past

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2016 10:10 AM

Not really a spoiler alert, but Id almost call this a Gorf II type game - atleast some spirit of Gorf comes to mind for me.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users