IGNORED

Art of Atari - book in progress and need help

lapetino

I actually got two copies for Christmas--one from my brother, one from my in-laws. :rolling:

This book is simply astounding. Soooo much cool stuff I've never even seen before (and I've been doing this a while!), like mockup ads for the Kee Games 2600 and that prototype all-in-one end table system (I forget the name of it), or shots of early heavy sixer/cartridge/joystick designs that almost made it.

If you don't have this book yet, go buy it now. Hell, buy two. ;) :P

• Like 2

or shots of early heavy sixer/cartridge/joystick designs that almost made it.

Yeah, those were some of the most fun for me to discover. The original 2600 console proto images have NEVER been seen outside of Atari, I believe. They were stored in Fred Thompson's shed. He was the industrial designer of the VCS.

• Like 5

I see you're in Chicago; any chance you'll be attending Midwest Gaming Classic this year? I'd love the chance to hit you up for an autograph. :-D

Yes, I'm planning on it. Just have to work out the details with Marty and the MGC crew. But I will certainly be there to sign books at the very least. Will see you there!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked a copy of this up off the shelf on a high street shop. Was kind of an impulse purchase and though I paid more than usual because of the way I bought I'm more than happy with it. It is gorgeous and the content is quite superb. Great to hear about artists like Cliff Spohn. Always loved his style which for me is synonymous with Atari and now its great to know his name!

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, I totally did not put two and two together with your book Lapetino when I just read this post today...

Oh my, when I first saw it at Books-A-Million during my Christmas vacation, talk about impulse buy!

Then after I read the whole thing it made me appreciate Atari even more for what they were and what Atari Age lives on here.

Truly one of the few books in a long time I have actually sat down to read cover to cover, much less admire the amazing artwork from all Atari's super talented art staff from back in the day.

Thank you Tim, thanks for writing that book! (and all the amazing pictures and photos!) It is yet another testament to the legacy of Atari and the culture of it's day, a legend in our time.

It will always be a treasured piece in my home, a piece of history I grew up with. :) :thumbsup:

Edited by Bentley Bear!
  • Like 2

Thanks, everyone. So glad it's hitting home for you all. That's why I wanted this book to happen. And the blue book version is a super short loot create exclusive we did. It's really short and cuts out all of the history and background and just includes a portion of the art in the book. Smaller size and proportions but a fun little thing.

Just happened in this forum. I got this book for Christmas from my wife. It was the ONLY thing I asked for.

The book is awesome. It's an excellent size too... it's a perfect coffee table book.

What I love so much about the book is that it really helps evoque the emotions that I felt growing up when I would get a new Atari 2600 game. I'd often look through the catalog that would occasionally come with a game, or on the back of a box, and these pictures are usually what they advertised. The art in many cases MADE the game since it helped create an image in your mind that you had while you were playing the game (sort of like when playing book and dice games).

Absolutely awesome book.

• Like 2

No updates just yet. We are finalizing everything so I should be able to talk more about it at the end of the month, I think. Release date had to be moved to June 20.

Hi Tim,

I apologize if this is not the correct thread to ask, but are there any updates concerning the Art of Atari Poster Collection book?

Thanks again for the Art of Atari.

- Another satisfied customer! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

According to Amazon, the Art of Atari Poster Collection book is still scheduled for release tomorrow, June 20th. :)

An here's the final list for the Poster Collection, out today:

Millipede 2600 - Hiro Kimura
Star Raiders 5200 - Robert Hunt
RealSports Baseball 5200 - D. Smith
Missile Command 2600 - George Opperman
Centipede 2600 - Burrell Dickey
3D Tic-Tac-Toe - Susan Jaekel
Asteroids 2600 - Chris Kenyon
Basketball 2600 - Cliff Spohn
Asteroids 5200 - Terry Hoff
Centipede 5200 - Hiro Kimura
Asteroids 7800 - Greg Winters