IGNORED

Incognito STICK(3) and STRIG(3)

Kyle22

As much as I have tried, I can't figure out the Incognito's joystick ports. I have 3 & 4 enabled in setup, but a simple BASIC program:

10 ?stick(3),strig(3):g.10

does not show those ports working. All I get is 15 1.

I *AM* moving the stick and pressing the button.

Any ideas?

Edited by Kyle22

They should only work as an 800 in an 800 mode.

On XL/XE, ports 3/4 are connected as cartridge sense and keyboard sense (XEGS only) lines.

In the XL/XE OSes, the shadow registers (which the Basic statements use) will reflect the state of Ports 1 and 2.

That also applies to paddles.

Edited by Rybags

I was hoping that the logic chip would allow the use of the other ports. Joystick 3 & 4 enable/disable are in the XL/XE section of the menu. They are NOT in the Coleen (800) section.

Maybe these settingd work with a Translator type OS(XLFIX/OSNXL are 2 examples) when in XL/XE mode?

I get 15 and 208 in OmniView, and 0 and 208 in OmniMon. I can try and flash other OS's in there, I'll need to shift things around to get XL compatible OS B.

I want this to work for a new R:Verter style device that uses a joystick port for RTS/CTS. Also, it would be nice to try a Corvus.

I was hoping that the logic chip would allow the use of the other ports. Joystick 3 & 4 enable/disable are in the XL/XE section of the menu. They are NOT in the Coleen (800) section.

I'd take from that that they are ALWAYS active in Colleen mode. Forgetting the shadow locations - what are the actual hardware locations reading?

You're better off reading direct from the hardware registers when testing such stuff.

The PORTA/B only do joystick directions / paddle triggers. The TRIG registers are through GTIA.

I was reading $D301 PORTB from OmniMon while moving the stick (and re-reading D301) each time

As much as I have tried, I can't figure out the Incognito's joystick ports. I have 3 & 4 enabled in setup, but a simple BASIC program:

10 ?stick(3),strig(3):g.10

does not show those ports working. All I get is 15 1.

I *AM* moving the stick and pressing the button.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure port '3' is actually port 4. The port number for an 800 would be from the left 0,1,2,3. An xl would only have port 0,1.

Using EYE2 (available here: the other EYE tool crashed when I pressed G to set the address), it looks as if $D300-D303 repeat every four bytes up to $D37F, with $D380-D3FF indeterminate or WO. I can see the effect on PORTA if I connect a joystick, but no change on any address in the range with a stick connected to ports 3 or 4.

then why is there an option in setup to enable / disable them?

I don't know. If Incognito really emulates a XL/XE, it has a built in BASIC ROM. If it has that, then PORTB will only serve to enable/disable it. I think in XL/XE, PORTB does more than just

enable/disable BASIC, there is some service to BASIC in the OS.

I guess Incognito has a custom OS. Someone intended to service ports 3, 4, but such service got lost somewhere along the line.

Edited by russg