IGNORED

5200 Reproductions For Sale

Albert

AtariMania doesn't make a very clear distinction between games actually released and games slated for release and then cancelled. Nevertheless, Asteroids for the 5200 was in fact cancelled.

It's easy to see why Asteroids was cancelled. The graphics and gameplay are not very much different from the 2600 Asteroids (blocky rocks and ships). Should have been closer to Asteroids Deluxe arcade. I was really disappointed with the prototype.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's easy to see why Asteroids was cancelled. The graphics and gameplay are not very much different from the 2600 Asteroids (blocky rocks and ships). Should have been closer to Asteroids Deluxe arcade. I was really disappointed with the prototype.

I actually have an Asteroids cart (and also a .bin file for my AtariMax multi-cart) and while the graphics aren't Atari's best effort, this is a very good game to play once you master the stock 5200 stick, note that it is very sensitive going up in thrust mode or turning on your hyperspace/shields/invert mode, it takes a very steady hand to avoid accidentally thrusting when you intend to try to rotate your ship left or right. Note that I also own Meteorites and it has less of that problem, and while the graphics are better on this than on Asteroids, and the controls are much easier to manage the debris of the rocks can go whichever way they damn well want to after a hit, actually a tougher game to play than Asteroids.

Actually if I had the $$$ and if they were still in business, as they were located down in Chelhalis, WA (see clip of ad below), about 150-200 miles south of BIGHMW.com Headquarters here in Port Townsend, I do own 2600 and 7800 Redemption 5200 units and I'd wonder if these will work with Asteroids or Meteorites.

questar_ad_zpsrvwvhlkg.jpg