IGNORED

Vectrex cart shell group buy

BinaryStar

Attention Vectrex developers (or future developers/builders of repro carts etc)!

I am currently looking into a group-buy for Vectrex cartridge shells. We are looking to get the best possible price on them so if you are interested in ordering shells can you please post here with your name, the number of shells you require (lets say a minimum of 100 units per developer) and your location.

I am afraid we cannot supply shells to flash cart/multicart builders.

*edit* Please also indicate if you require PCBs too (eeprom type - the use 32k or 64k chips like the PCBs Jon Dondzila used to supply)

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by KidQuaalude

• 1 month later...

Will you be selling the case only, Richard? I bought one of the clear blue cases, and it doesn't quite fit the latest revision of the VecMulti (or at least the one I bought several months ago). A capacitor got turned 90 degrees, and it keeps the standard cart shell from closing unless you file down the inside of the case (which I did). I like having access to the SD card in your design.

Attention Vectrex developers (or future developers/builders of repro carts etc)! [/size]I am currently looking into a group-buy for Vectrex cartridge shells. We are looking to get the best possible price on them so if you are interested in ordering shells can you please post here with your name, the number of shells you require (lets say a minimum of 100 units per developer) and your location. [/size]I am afraid we cannot supply shells to flash cart/multicart builders.[/size]

*edit* Please also indicate if you require PCBs too (eeprom type - the use 32k or 64k chips like the PCBs Jon Dondzila used to supply) Thanks,[/size]Chris[/size]

How much for 100 cases with PCBs ?

Do we get discount on bulk orders?

Hi retroillucid, I'm afraid the order has gone to manufacturing now. US/Canada orders were handled by Sean Kelly. I think around 1,100 shells are going to the US.

I have ordered a stock of 3000 shells for europe but they are mostly allocated already. Once stock is in hand, I'll get back to you if there are a spare 100 shells but if you were to buy those you'd have to pay shipping from UK->US I'm afraid. I'm selling them at cost to developers so no discounts are possible/necessary.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm tempted, but 100 shells... maybe someone wants to split. Are we talking "original" color or some ridiculous silly color like transparent green etc etc?

BTW. IMHO Richard should get the proper case bought though ombudsmen - looks a lot better than the emergency solution of a 3D print...

I'm tempted, but 100 shells... maybe someone wants to split. Are we talking "original" color or some ridiculous silly color like transparent green etc etc?

BTW. IMHO Richard should get the proper case bought though ombudsmen - looks a lot better than the emergency solution of a 3D print...

I just ordered a 3D printer. I'll see how printing Vectrex shells turns out. Of course, anything coming out of a 3D printer will need some extra love. I'll definitely report back when I figure out how it goes.

Well, 3D printer can't really compare with an injection molded part. ;-)

When there's no other option I understand it, but now there is.

I guess if those 3D printed items where sanded down and painted they'd look pretty nice, but who has the time for that? ;-)

I just ordered a 3D printer. I'll see how printing Vectrex shells turns out. Of course, anything coming out of a 3D printer will need some extra love. I'll definitely report back when I figure out how it goes.

I have a 'regular' Vectrex cart a friend 3d printed for me from the thingyverse model. It works reasonably well but is a little brittle. Definitely no comparison to the mold-injected ones. I'd imagine Richards design is a bit more sturdy. The main problem with the Vec cart is the model available for 3d printing was really designed for injection molding and could use a little more support in its 3d printed form.

It's not an 'emergency solution'. It took me quite some time to design, and it also fits the PCB better (smaller / access to the SD card). I think it looks nice too !

Almost missed this one, sorry.

So, even if there were original-looking shells available you'd still want to use the 3D-printed shell?

I'm sure it's more practical, me personally like the one with the nice label that looks like the original carts.

vecmulti_homemade.jpg

It seems to me like an "emergency solution" as the Vectrex cart mold owner won't sell any shells directly to you and there aren't really much other shells available. Vectrex.com is currently selling blue transparent ones for $20 each - one at the time - on eBay, or did I miss any other cart shell sellers?

It's a shame really that the mold owner is afraid of competition since your cart is by far the best and people who can't afford the best will still be buying the other kind(s) (a cart with a fixed set of games).

But you solved the "problem", functionality is still the same. I guess if you send along the label for the earlier version, buyers can swap to the other shell if they like - in case one of those other shell buyers are selling then at $20 each on eBay in the near future...

Edited by e5frog