IGNORED

HSC11 Season 11 - Welcome - Info - Play List

Doesn't voting for the next game(s) normally CLOSE on a Sunday... which should be tomorrow (March 30). As far as I can tell, voting for the "F" games hasn't started yet. Am I overlooking the poll?

Yup, Poll is open... just gotta scroll down ;-)

I "narrowed" my game "G" game ideas down to 15 games! Here we go:

1. Galactic Chase (1981)(Spectrum Computers) - Only NTSC version available. Docs available at AtariMania. A great review of the game is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZE1oH52VZM
  2. Galaxian (1982) (Atari) - Only NTSC version available. Docs Available at AtariMania.
  3. Gateway to Apshai (1982)(Epyx) - Only NTSC version available. Docs available at AtariMania.
  4. Ghostbusters (1984)(Activision) - PAL and NTSC versions Available. Docs available at AtariMania.
  5. Goblin (1983)(Compute!) - Will run in NTSC and PAL but designed with NTSC speed in mind. No docs available for this version short BASIC game at AtariMania, but they are in Compute! magazine, issue 38 (July 1983). This game was printed for the Commodore 64, Commodore Vic20 (unexpanded), Atari, TI-99/4A and Apple. I played this game quite a bit in 1983/84 on my C64. It wasn't a great game, but somehow I found the simple-ness of it quite addictive to me.
  6. Gold Mine (1983)(Spectra Video) - Only NTSC version available. Docs available at AtariMania. This game looks quite primitive, but it's not so bad... which certainly makes it very unusual for a game on cart only with a rarity of 10/10.
  7. Goonies, The (1985)(Datasoft) - PAL and NTSC versions available. Docs Available at AtariMania.
  8. Gorf (1982) (Roklan Corp.) - NTSC Version Available. Docs Available at AtariMania.
  9. Great American Cross-Country Road Race, The (1985)(Activision) - PAL and NTSC versions available. NO docs available at AtariMania.com, which really surprises me since this is considered such a classic. I've no experience with it myself... and I wouldn't mind taking it on.
  10. Gremlins (1984)(Atari) - Only NTSC version available. Atari 5200 manual available at AtariAge.com. This is an unofficial "Glenn the 5200 Man" port of the Atari 5200 game that was released (according to AtariMania) before the 5200 version even came out. I've read over and over again that this is one of the 5200's best games. It's probably time to try it out.
  11. Gridrunner (1983) (Llamasoft) - PAL and NTSC versions available. Docs Available at AtariMania.
  12. Gridrunner 2: Attack of the Mutant Camels (1984)(Llamasoft) - Only PAL version available. Note that I'm referring to the Atari 2600 game that is like "Star War: Return of the Jedi," NOT the version by HesWare which is just the American release of Gridrunner. Docs available at AtariMania.
  13. Gumball (1983)(Brøderbund Software) - Only NTSC version available. No docs available at AtariMania.
  14. Gwobby Strikes Back! (Version 1.2) - (April 2011)(Kendallsoft) - This will run on NTSC and PAL systems, but designed (I think) with PAL speed in mind. Docs and disk image available here: http://www.freewebs.com/gwobby/gwobbystrikesback.htm
  15. Gyruss (1984) (Parker Brothers) - NTSC Version Available. No docs available at AtariMania.

Here's to hoping that some folks submit game ideas that I've never even heard of before!

• Like 1

Wow guys a gargantuam glut of great G game suggestions :-o I'll whittle them down and get a vote on soon :thumbsup:

Gumball is one of my favourites but we played it in the Sweet Tooth round near the end of Season 9 so it will not make the vote this time, same goes for Getaway :ponder:

I might fancy a crack at Gauntlet but not sure if it has scoring... Gauntletak too perhaps...

The Apple II port of Galaxian will make a nice companion for Galaxian/Galactic Chase :)

OK GENESIS is my pick!!! (like I only get one) Great game, apart from the stupid PMG showing at the top of the playfield (on menu vers)

genesis.png

Edited by therealbountybob

For the Goonies there is scoring (I believe it is based on time to complete each level) - Failing that we could do highest level reached, there are ten levels.

Glaggs it is somewhat similar to Klax... Drop the tiles and match three colors

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my choices for "H" games:

1. Har'em (2012)(Daniel Pralle) - Horizontal Shooter.
  2. Hard Hat Mack (1983)(Electronic Arts) - Platformer.
  3. Henry's House (1987)(Mastertronic) - Platformer.
  4. HERO (1984)(Activision) - A cavern exploration game where you rescue miners.
  5. Highrise (1986)(Kevin Mykytyn) - Platformer. A machine language type-in from Compute! magazine. This game only came to my attention very recently. It's VERY hard, and probably isn't even fair. I'd love to see others try this game out. For more info, read here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223499-help-high-rise-1986compute/
  6. Hobgoblin (2008)(GR8 Software) - Platformer.
  7. Hot Lips (1982)(London Software) - Maze game. A maze game that isn't another Pac-Man.
  8. House of Usher (1985)(Anirog Software)(PAL Only) - Platformer
  9. Hover Bovver (1984)(Llamasoft) - Mow lawns. I've always wanted to invest some time into this one.
  10. Humanoid (1992)(Sonix Software) - Horizontal Shooter
  11. Hyperblast! (1983)(English Software Company) - Space Invaders-type shooter.

I've tried many of these games and the PAL games that I've played all have worked on my NTSC 130XE.

Nice list Ballyalley :thumbsup:

Yes as McKong said we played HHMack (and Willy) last season and Hyperblast so they're canned! HERO seems to get a lot of play. The Best A8 Shooters thread mentioned Hawk Quest so this is one I'd like to check out. Har'em is short but sweet perhaps with CRTXL's other recent game Heli In the Caves Extended Edition if it works on NTSC. The other HighRise is very good (though hard to see on PAL). Head over Heels is good. Suprisingly there are a lot more good looking H games... seem to remeber Haunted Hill was pretty decent; some screenshots below (click for links to Fandal). Hunchback is one of my pet favourite little games :love:

haunted_hill.pnghawkquest.pnghawkmoon.pnghead_over_heels.pnghead_on.pngheli_in_the_caves_extended_edition.pnghelix.pnghis_dark_majesty.pnghlavolam_2.pnghumanoid.pnghunch_back.pnghydraulik.pnghydraulik_(avalon).pnghigh_rise.pngharem.png

• 2 weeks later...

The next poll will feature *one choice... IXION of course :P

*unless you suggest some others :-D

I'm glad McKong chimed in with "Into the Eagles Nest." It would be a shame not to have to vote at all this round. I've also never played "Eagles Nest," but it looks interesting.

I looked through the list of games on my AtariMax carts that I've compiled and there isn't one game that starts with an "I." I hadn't noticed that before. After looking through the games over at Atarimania.com, here's my own "I" suggestion:

Ithix (1983)(Romex) - Arcade - Misc. Take your spaceship on a cruise through a very simple one-screen maze. Looks interesting, but I haven't played it myself. Look how small your ship is! It's made of only a few pixels! Here's link to a video of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHvjeUqfEQ

There are lots of "I" games if you delve into the public domain/magazine area-- though some of them look quite "iffy." There's also plenty of "Invader" games. That might count if we can use that genre to count as just one game... but I guess that would be cheating-- or would it?!

I'm glad McKong chimed in with "Into the Eagles Nest." It would be a shame not to have to vote at all this round. I've also never played "Eagles Nest," but it looks interesting.

I looked through the list of games on my AtariMax carts that I've compiled and there isn't one game that starts with an "I." I hadn't noticed that before. After looking through the games over at Atarimania.com, here's my own "I" suggestion:

Ithix (1983)(Romex) - Arcade - Misc. Take your spaceship on a cruise through a very simple one-screen maze. Looks interesting, but I haven't played it myself. Look how small your ship is! It's made of only a few pixels! Here's link to a video of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHvjeUqfEQ

There are lots of "I" games if you delve into the public domain/magazine area-- though some of them look quite "iffy." There's also plenty of "Invader" games. That might count if we can use that genre to count as just one game... but I guess that would be cheating-- or would it?!

I was just teasing of course ;)

What no 10 game recommendation list :twisted: I'll be doing some research too - I like the Invaders Idea :thumbsup: even though we played Atari Invaders already. I think Ithix is really meant for 2 players at the same time might be ok for a bonus point. There might be some The I... games that we can draft in ;-)

So we now have:

Ixion

Into the Eagles Nest

Invaders (various)

I would be interested to have seen how players reacted towards playing Hawkquest thoroughly - for obvious reasons... I put together the level designs for it's secondary games - and hoped that there was enough variety there - to keep the game interesting enough - but also a bit frustrating too - as a few were rather devious? to find where things were.

Seeing though it's a PAL only game - this may not be a popular choice to play here?

Harvey

I would be interested to have seen how players reacted towards playing Hawkquest thoroughly - for obvious reasons... I put together the level designs for it's secondary games - and hoped that there was enough variety there - to keep the game interesting enough - but also a bit frustrating too - as a few were rather devious? to find where things were.

Seeing though it's a PAL only game - this may not be a popular choice to play here?

Harvey

Checkout the new "Just for Fun" Hawkquest thread everyone ;)

"I" games poll coming soon ;-) :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: HERE :spidey:

I was recently wondering if there might be a way to play non-traditional competition games. It looks like the Hawkquest "Just for Fun" thread answers that question for me. I don't normally play RPGs (except The Temple of Apshai series) nor do I play strategy/warfare games (SSI, for example), but I've been itching to try something like this that I've not played before. I used to play text adventure games back in the 1980's and still occasionally dip my toe into that pool. What other genres am I overlooking that have been over-looked?

Is anyone else interested in trying games in genres that they don't normally play?

(Should this have been posted in its own thread?)

• 2 weeks later...

OK Guys suggestions for the next round... "J & K" games combined - a double poll with the top J and the top K game being played.

We're trying to avoid games from last season so that might be tough on J as Jet Boot Jack, Juice, Juno First and Joust all were played [Jump man & Jr] :-o

J - Java Jim ;-)

K - how about exploring Koronis Rift, one game I never could master but was fun trying :ponder:

Checkout Fandal JGames KGames

:)

Edited by therealbountybob

For Js,

Joust was one of my favorite games back in the day. Used to play this two player versus.

Jumpman Jr. is very hard! much more than its predecessor.

Jungle Hunt is a good arcade port.

Jet Set Willy is supposed to be one of the better games on C64, I wouldn't mind trying it here.

Besides Kronos Rift and Karateka neither of which lend themselves well to HSC. I haven't played many K games. Kangaroo is good though.

Edited by CapitanClassic