IGNORED

Vintage Game Consoles - new book on computers, consoles, handhelds

Thanks, I took the word "video" out of the subtitle in the introduction. I'm going to go ahead and leave the shortened cover subtitle in there, though.

I totally understand why you did what you did, and as I explained in the review the omission of certain systems was purely a personal disappointment and not a negative reflection on the book. For me though, the book is so good that it's a bummer that those consoles that I mentioned didn't have their own chapters, because they would have been equally interesting to read. Like I said in the review though, every reader is going to have a different opinion on what should go in there, and I definitely don't think that any of the platforms included in the book should have been swapped out for the ones that I listed. You said a few posts up that you originally wanted to cover more systems but the book would have been too long. Too bad, because an encyclopedia of game systems like that would have been a great resource, but I can only imagine the thousands of hours that would have gone in to writing it.

Anyway, thanks for the great book!

Edited by Jibbajaba

Thanks, I took the word "video" out of the subtitle in the introduction. I'm going to go ahead and leave the shortened cover subtitle in there, though.

I totally understand why you did what you did, and as I explained in the review the omission of certain systems was purely a personal disappointment and not a negative reflection on the book. For me though, the book is so good that it's a bummer that those consoles that I mentioned didn't have their own chapters, because they would have been equally interesting to read. Like I said in the review though, every reader is going to have a different opinion on what should go in there, and I definitely don't think that any of the platforms included in the book should have been swapped out for the ones that I listed. You said a few posts up that you originally wanted to cover more systems but the book would have been too long. Too bad, because an encyclopedia of game systems like that would have been a great resource, but I can only imagine the thousands of hours that would have gone in to writing it.

Anyway, thanks for the great book!

Thanks. Yes, I talked about it a bit in an earlier post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221153-vintage-game-consoles-new-book-on-computers-consoles-handhelds/?p=2934481 . I would love to have done a truly comprehensive book (and I mean that in the literal sense - every platform, right down to the most obscure interchangeable game system), but time and cost are all factors, including with a publisher never going for it. I think based on my initial experience all those years ago with attempting that and seeing how some of these other books have turned out that have tried to cram too many platforms into a single book, I'm happy with the approach we took. I don't think any of the platforms got short changed because of our reasoned (if somewhat controversial) approach.

I actually still have my left over work from that first unreleased book on several other platforms that didn't make it into this one. I'm still debating what I'll do with that one day. Most likely just some feature articles.