IGNORED

atari xe "just green screen"

ATARIeric

i hooked up an atari xe today that i have had in storage, it powers up when i press the power button, but all i get is a green screen when i try to play a game,and no sound, "just green screen"

any info on how i can go about solving this problem will be greatly appreciated

im a new guy :roll:

ok, well i guess i wont be playing any games with the XE game system,

if anyone can reccomend on what i should have done to the console, cleaning or so on, or knows for a fact what is causing my system to just show a green picture on TV screen, wheter it be a cart is in the slot when i turn it on, or if there isnt a cart in the slot

damn me and my green screen!!!!!!

I've been trying to think of what exactly could be causing it, but there's really no telling. I think someone a little more familiar with the XEGS would probably be able to help you out a little better than I can. :sad:

Hi!

Is there any text in the green screen or is the only thing you see a whole screen filled with the colour green? Is it dark or light green? Did you hook up a keyboard to the GameSystem?

Strange is the GREEN colour. But perhaps this is a difference between PAL and NTSC? When my PAL atari's are stuck mostly I get a DARK RED screen, or a dark-red screen with some yellow bars in it.

There are a few possibilities. The weakest parts of the computer are:

* Ram chips (2 4464 chips in the left under corner)

* OS ROM (C101687)

* MMU (C101686)

The only easy-to-get parts are the ram chips. But you might need to ask more around, and perhaps you could look at:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm

Greetz,

Marius

no text or lines in the picture, just a nice lime green color, all i did was, i took it out of the box and hooked it up, even if the keyboard is attached, all i get is that green screen when i power it up, with or without carts!!!

thankyou guys for your help, please, any more info will be greatly appreciated, are you saying that i should open it up and check the soldering for those chips, or are they in sockets ?

looks like im gonna have fun with this unit :)

thankgod i have my 2600, id be lost without junglehunt

but i do have some nice games for my XE "it is so important for me to get this going"

i think i found a home here at this site :dunce:

Many people have suggested in the past that a weak (broken) power supply may cause the computer to show just a solid color screen. Check the output of your PS with your multimeter. I'm not sure what the XEGS should have coming in.

Hang on... checking the Atari 8-bit FAQ... (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/) Looks like 5V.

DC supplies (external adapters)

5 V DC  1.0 A  (5.0 W)  Atari#CO70042

600XL,65XE,XE Game System

5 V DC  1.5 A  (7.5 W)  Atari#CO61982/CA024814

600XL,800XL,65XE,130XE,XE Game System

4 varieties, detailed by Ben Poehland in Current Notes v10n9 Nov 1990:

Type I: The Beauty Queen, 1983-84, made in Hong Kong

matches XL hardware, repairs easy

Type II: The Ugly Clunker, 1984-85, made in Taiwan

all black, external RF interference supression box,

entirely permanently sealed, unrepairable

Type III: The Black Beauty, 1985, made in Taiwan, uncommon

like Type I but all black, simplest design/easiest repairs

Type IV: The Peanut, 1985-?, made in Taiwan

black with silver plate, difficult/tedious repairs

thankyou for the input im getting everyone :)

im going into work an hr early so i can hook up a multimeter to power supply, i hope thats all it is, but if not, i dont care if it takes me a year or longer, i will fix this!!!!!!

DETERMINATION!!!!!!!

thanks for the input again :)

i will post results later on today

ATARIeric

the powersupply i have is an atari, its all black and says "made in singapore" lol

but anyhoot, i checked the faqs and found the pinout on the powersupply, and yes, the three 5v were at exactly 5v :) and the three negatives were at exactly 0.00 on my multimeter, so i dont think it is the power supply that is causing the green screen, are there any schematics available, or if anyone reccomends the next step on diagnosing this ? :|

thanks to all

ATARIeric :)

will check my pm's in a few minutes,  my best friend is here hanging out amazed at this web site i should him,  i will check pms soon,  

thankyou so much

please stand by   :)

Hi,

When you have a XE game system open it and feel if the two rams a getting hot when powered on. I have repaired a few XE systems they all came from a batch from Italy. (Check on the bottom white sticker).

When this system comes from Italy it's possible the system was from this same batch. They all had the same problem. I had to exchange the RAM chips and the OS ROM just put an XL/XE rom in to test it.

The samething I have got with a batch of XF551 drives they all had a processor 8050 (internal rom) this chip had a bug in the mask so it would function. I repaired them by replacing a jumper and an external ROM.

It seems Atari has shipped some batches that were never tested.

TXG/MNX

no white sticker,  the sticker is clear with white lettering  

" the clear makes it look like the same color as console"

made in taiwan    serial number  A1 81 1123220

Hmm but you still can check if the RAM and/or ROM get hot, seems to be the only troubles with those XE systems. I had 5 of them after the second computer I repaired the rest within 2 hours...

Sounds Like you know what your talking about :)

Thank You !!!!

i will get back to you with results soon!! just not tonight soon :( lol

thanks again for your help, now its time to copy and paste your thread to .txt

thankyou again

ATARIeric