IGNORED

Atari User Groups?

Muzz73

That's the Davis Atari Party thrown by Bill Kendrick. It's not a formal Atari computer users group like YAC was in Davis, or ACCESS or SST/STAR were in neighboring Sacramento.

And I say that as a former member of both ACCESS and SST/STAR.

Edited by Lynxpro

Muzz73,

Sad news, i'm afraid. Unless appearances are deceiving, ABACUS is no more. The website has not been updated since about 2010. It is still there and lists contact information for the president of the group, so you might be able to ask Roger if he is still holding meetings.

I should have checked before I posted. I apologize for getting your hopes raised.

Actually, ABACUS still meets the 1st Saturday every other month (Feb, Apr, etc). It's just that we don't talk about Atari much anymore. It's mainly a small handful of old time members who gather at the Prez's house to talk about technology, politics, current events, and other miscellaneous stuff. Unfortunately, the last few members keep leaving us (and the world) too soon. :_( (I'm the youngest in my early 40s) I doubt all the junk food we serve at every meeting (pizza, chips, cookies, etc.) shortens our lives. :P :grin:

Best to shoot Roger an e-mail at roger at sinasohn dot com.

Yes, the website is sorely outdated. One of these days it will be updated...

• Like 1

atarian1,

Glad to hear the old group is still meeting, even if Atari is no longer the main focus. I remember many Saturday meetings back to when Bill Zinn was president. I doubt if Roger will remember me, but please say hi to him anyway.

Russ

Actually, ABACUS still meets the 1st Saturday every other month (Feb, Apr, etc). It's just that we don't talk about Atari much anymore. It's mainly a small handful of old time members who gather at the Prez's house to talk about technology, politics, current events, and other miscellaneous stuff. Unfortunately, the last few members keep leaving us (and the world) too soon. :_( (I'm the youngest in my early 40s) I doubt all the junk food we serve at every meeting (pizza, chips, cookies, etc.) shortens our lives. :P :grin:

Best to shoot Roger an e-mail at roger at sinasohn dot com.

Yes, the website is sorely outdated. One of these days it will be updated...

Sounds like the Amiga group I joined here in Dallas. I am not much on a Amiga or Commodore user, but it is good to have the retro company, a meeting of tinkering with Amiga equipment, and eating out afterwards. We are trying to get a Skype presence so others not in the area can enjoy the meetings too.