IGNORED

Got new system. Controllers can't be THIS BAD!

segasaturn

That's the funny thing for me...In the 80's it wasn't an issue. I think with age (perhaps a touch of arthritis for me ;) ) is when it becomes a problem.

For those with perhaps worn controllers, this seller has been around for a while, selling brand new old stock 7800 controllers. A pair (two) of them is $19.99:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FTWO-NEW-Mint-Atari-2600-7800-Joysticks-NEW-OLD-STOCK-%2F380180371166%3Fpt%3DGames_US%26hash%3Ditem58848416de%23ht_582wt_752

I recommend buying them new and then send them to Yurkie and have his mod applied.

At the very least, get them new though. The joysticks as Gregory DG mentioned are very responsive. If noticing they are not, for example, joystick doesn't seem to move or it take a lot of effort to get a response, it's likely your controller(s) are worn (out).

Actually that is not a bad idea in the slightest. That ball mod actually seems quite reasonable. I'll have to look into that when I have some extra money to spend.

• Like 1

I still use my converted Radica Space Invaders joysticks as my main 7800 controllers. One of them needs a new cable, though, and I'll have to rewire the whole thing because of the way I used to build them. I'm thinking of designing a drop-in "upgrade board" to make it easier. If there's enough interest, I might offer this board as a conversion kit. It would be set up to use a DB9 extension cord, since fully-wired, Atari-style molded DB9 cables are apparently becoming a rarity.

• Like 1

I've never found Atari controllers on any system to be their strong suit haha.

At best, I learned to 'live' with the proline controllers, hold them a certain way and tap them. I usually use the joypads now, though I find they don't have sensitivity where games are heavily dependent on it. For example, the brutal jumps in SCRAPYARD DOG, I can sometimes do with a proline, but never with a joypad

They aren't bad at all, actually. Especially if you have a lightly used or new/unused pair. They are decent enough. But the popularity of jumping on the ProLine hatewagon on this site is pretty strong.

I have to disagree. They do work, but that is about the only positive I can give them. They hurt like crazy to use beyond 10 minutes or so and that was when I was a kid. A game like Super Mario or Contra would have been completely uplayable on them.

They aren't on a new level of bad if you made do with Coleco, Inty, 5200, or the good old 2600 sticks, but from its own generation the Master System pads and the Nes pads just killed them. If you want to go stick to stick, the Master System stick was still better and the Advantage was waaay better. I love the 7800 ,but I almost wouldn't play a two button game just to avoid the pro lines when I was a kid.

Its not a bandwagon; I think that many of us really hate those controllers.

To be fair, I do hate the analogue nub on the PSP more... not by much though.

They aren't bad at all, actually. Especially if you have a lightly used or new/unused pair. They are decent enough. But the popularity of jumping on the ProLine hatewagon on this site is pretty strong.

Yeah, I secretly love those controllers, but I pretend to hate them so people will think I'm cool.

Since we're talking about controllers, I'm showing my prefered two button controller.

It's for a nes clone. Actually the console I got after Atari 2600 and gave me many, many fun hours. It's the CCE Turbo Game with two slots (American 72 pins and Japanese 60 pins).

I learned to use gamepads with these: :)

CCETurboGame.jpg

I really should try to adapt them for the 7800, I guess all Brazilian nes clones used the old Atari connector but they don't work for any Atari or Genesis console.

They may not look like it but they are much more comfortable than the regular nes or master system.

Unfortunately, Brazilian gaming market is too small. So, even if I manage to adapt them to the 7800, I'm sure price would be higher than a nes modded...

I have to disagree. They do work, but that is about the only positive I can give them. They hurt like crazy to use beyond 10 minutes or so and that was when I was a kid. A game like Super Mario or Contra would have been completely uplayable on them.

They aren't on a new level of bad if you made do with Coleco, Inty, 5200, or the good old 2600 sticks, but from its own generation the Master System pads and the Nes pads just killed them. If you want to go stick to stick, the Master System stick was still better and the Advantage was waaay better. I love the 7800 ,but I almost wouldn't play a two button game just to avoid the pro lines when I was a kid.

Its not a bandwagon; I think that many of us really hate those controllers.

To be fair, I do hate the analogue nub on the PSP more... not by much though.

Yes, because the always-awesome NES pads didn't cause people to suffer from the dreaded "Nintendo Thumb". I used the ProLines extensively back then and only got a cramp from Karateka. The NES Pads hurt my thumb so I stopped using them and would only use the proper Advantage joystick on NES games thereafter. The SMS pads also sucked but Sega got it right with the follow-up Genesis/MegaDrive pads.

The Jaguar controllers were super comfortable but the same haters that complain about the Xbox Duke controllers hate on them too for being "too big". I bet their lady friends aren't too pleased with them considering...

Since we're talking about controllers, I'm showing my prefered two button controller.

It's for a nes clone. Actually the console I got after Atari 2600 and gave me many, many fun hours. It's the CCE Turbo Game with two slots (American 72 pins and Japanese 60 pins).

I learned to use gamepads with these: :)

CCETurboGame.jpg

I really should try to adapt them for the 7800, I guess all Brazilian nes clones used the old Atari connector but they don't work for any Atari or Genesis console.

They may not look like it but they are much more comfortable than the regular nes or master system.

Unfortunately, Brazilian gaming market is too small. So, even if I manage to adapt them to the 7800, I'm sure price would be higher than a nes modded...

So the DPad is on the right? That's interesting...

Yes, because the always-awesome NES pads didn't cause people to suffer from the dreaded "Nintendo Thumb". I used the ProLines extensively back then and only got a cramp from Karateka. The NES Pads hurt my thumb so I stopped using them and would only use the proper Advantage joystick on NES games thereafter. The SMS pads also sucked but Sega got it right with the follow-up Genesis/MegaDrive pads.

The Jaguar controllers were super comfortable but the same haters that complain about the Xbox Duke controllers hate on them too for being "too big". I bet their lady friends aren't too pleased with them considering...

Well, the nes pads aren't the best ever designed; that award goes to the Saturn pad v2. But I know even here in the 7800's home stadium, you aren't seriously telling me the Prolines are better than the stock Nes pads? I would rather use a Nes Max than the Prolines. I love the 7800, but come on. They put all the torque in your palm and it really hurts and rapid button tapping takes some real finger gymnastics for two button games.

I think time after time, Sega has made the best controllers IMHO.

I'm not trying to start a holy war over joysticks, but I think sometimes we spend to much time with a piece of tech and we end up going Stockholme Syndrome.

My dream 7800 controller would still be a modded Virtual Boy pad for Robotron and 2600 Indiana Jones. P1 and P2 on one pad with 2 button support! Now that would be a rockin 7800 pad!

Well, after many years, I played Xevious and Robotron tonight. A few weeks back, I bought a 7800 on eBay and a separate lot of carts since I haven't had a chance to pull my own original stuff out of my parents storage. Went to the Shack and got an F adapter and phono cable and then went to grab the acquired 7800 only to discover my wife got mad at me last week and attempted to break it. The plastic is broken to the left and right of the cartridge bay exposing the shielding and motherboard. But guess what? It works! That 7800 also included one of Ax's NES Pads [#4 of 40]. I sucked at Xevious with the pad but with a ProLine, it was back to bid ness how I rocked it when I was 12. I actually like the Pad with Robotron and even Ballblazer.

Mat Mania Challenge sucks. I can't believe this is what Corp developed after years of me writing them to license Mania Challenge for the 7800.

Can't wait to get my 5200 later this week - fingers crossed it works - so I can test grips's fantastic Neo Geo stick conversion...and what a beauty it is! I think my 7800(s) need an NES Advantage converted.

Edit: now I really wish I had a 3D printer. I'd print up a replacement translucent 7800 case!

Edit 2: Mat Mania Challenge barely plugged into the cart slot. I suspect it would've been the same even if the 7800's casing hadn't been damaged. Maybe I should paint it camo for a Commando theme...

Edited by Lynxpro

Lynxpro, what did you do to make her hurt a defenseless Atari?

To play Robotron, I either have to have my two Ax modded Nespads or two Genesis pads. Unless I'm at a table, then two Sega arcade sticks are good! I wish I had one of those cx40 Robotron holder thingies for twin stick shootin. I suck at Xevious no matter what controller I use, but I rock socks at Robotron.

• Like 1

Lynxpro, what did you do to make her hurt a defenseless Atari?

To play Robotron, I either have to have my two Ax modded Nespads or two Genesis pads. Unless I'm at a table, then two Sega arcade sticks are good! I wish I had one of those cx40 Robotron holder thingies for twin stick shootin. I suck at Xevious no matter what controller I use, but I rock socks at Robotron.

I dunno. I think she was mad at the eBay spree...

Yeah I think calling it some form of bandwagon thinking is just a real lazy defense of them. I have one that is close to mint in every regard. I honestly find it awful from A-Z. Ergonomics, button style, etc.

People love them? Hey, great. Enjoy them.

• Like 1

They are bad. I picked up my 7800 a few months back and gave the Prolines an honest shake. And thinking that because they are 25 year old controllers I went out and purchased the NOS Prolines linked to upthread. While an improvement they are still bad. While they don't have the wear and tear on them, you can't get around the awkward button placement or the too long stick. I may eventually get mine Yurkie modded, but I want a good solution that involves a genny 3 button controller. Seeing as the only thing I know about electronics is which end fo the soldering iron to use (the pointy one, right) that may be a bit involved for a DIY.

Three things about the Prolines:

1. I like them for games that don't require using buttons (i.e.: Pac-Man, etc.). Mainly because of the stick's short travel, and it feels pretty ergonomic when the buttons aren't needed.

2. The overall design seems to point to an unwillingness on Atari's part to admit that the 5200 controller's button layout was a failure. Either that or lack of R & D funds for coming up with an improved two button design.

3. Put the buttons somewhere on top, and I think it's a pretty good controller.

Edited by MrFish

Three things about the Prolines:

1. I like them for games that don't require using buttons (i.e.: Pac-Man, etc.). Mainly because of the stick's short travel, and it feels pretty ergonomic when the buttons aren't needed.

2. The overall design seems to point to an unwillingness on Atari's part to admit that the 5200 controller's button layout was a failure. Either that or lack of R & D funds for coming up with an improved two button design.

3. Put the buttons somewhere on top, and I think it's a pretty good controller.

All of the console companies at the time the 7800 was designed used the same type of controller ergonomics.

The reason why Nintendo and Sega pushed DPad controllers were not for ergonomic reasons but because they were dirt cheap to produce in comparison to actual joysticks.

They aren't bad at all, actually. Especially if you have a lightly used or new/unused pair. They are decent enough.

Even when I got my 7800 brand-new as a kid back in the day, the controllers were a problem for me. I have been playing my 7800 a lot lately and tried my Proline joysticks again. Same thing. Very uncomfortable after a while and unresponsive. I am beginning to think that there was a little quality control issue with them as some ppl seem to like them and think they are responsive; while others don't think so. Still think the overall design are very flawed joystick controllers.

So I have other controllers/joysticks that I can use. I am glad the 7800 has the "universal" controller ports used on many game systems from the 80s so you can use something else. Many ppl don't know about the Sears Video Arcade II controllers, but I find them pretty good -- much better than the stock 7800 Prolines. The Sears controller has a joystick/paddle combo and side buttons. I have done slight alterations on mine, but find it much more comfy and responsive than the Prolines. The only problem with that controller is that some 2-button games don't work correctly with it. If you play Xevious and push either side button, it will shoot AND drop bombs at the same time. If there was an updated/improved Sears Video Arcade II controller, it would be great for the 7800 :!:

I've never had an issue with the Proline joystick. As a matter of fact, I rather like them. Makes me wonder why so many find them uncomfortable and lacking while other don't have a problem with them. Hand size? Left handed vs right handed? Just kind of mysterious to me.

I've never had an issue with the Proline joystick. As a matter of fact, I rather like them. Makes me wonder why so many find them uncomfortable and lacking while other don't have a problem with them. Hand size? Left handed vs right handed? Just kind of mysterious to me.

Are your hands very big and you hold with your left hand?

My hands are small and I hold with my right hand.

I'm used with several controllers from many systems.

And the 7800 controller really gives me pain! It isn't that I don't like it, a personal preference or something, my hand muscles complain all the time!

It hurts after 5 or 10 minutes of gaming.

By comparison, the atari 2600 joystick starts to hurt after 30 to 40 minutes only if I choose a heavy cramping game.

I have no problem with the Intellivsion controller.

Some said the 7800 controller had, in its favour, the fact it's responsible.

Well, even for games I don't have to push a button, I don't like the controller. It may be the way I hold it but I feel it's not balanced in my hand, it seems it will fall when I push the joystick to the right...

Now, to be able to play Atari 7800 using other controllers! :) :-D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Always a great experience! I love my 7800!

Are your hands very big and you hold with your left hand?

My hands are small and I hold with my right hand.

I'm used with several controllers from many systems.

And the 7800 controller really gives me pain! It isn't that I don't like it, a personal preference or something, my hand muscles complain all the time!

It hurts after 5 or 10 minutes of gaming.

By comparison, the atari 2600 joystick starts to hurt after 30 to 40 minutes only if I choose a heavy cramping game.

I have no problem with the Intellivsion controller.

Some said the 7800 controller had, in its favour, the fact it's responsible.

Well, even for games I don't have to push a button, I don't like the controller. It may be the way I hold it but I feel it's not balanced in my hand, it seems it will fall when I push the joystick to the right...

Now, to be able to play Atari 7800 using other controllers! :) :-D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Always a great experience! I love my 7800!

I hold it in my right hand and move the joystick with my left. My hands aren't large by any stretch of the imagination. Must just be one of those weird things that causes some people to cramp up and others not to. I'd like to try the Atari joypads, but I've read some pretty awful things about them . I love the Intellivision controller!