IGNORED

Atari Flashback 5 New Features (Dream List)

but after comparing both game lists, you would be losing Battlezone and gaining Millipede on the FB5.

Also worth noting, at the time of FB4's launch, the Bed Bath & Beyond edition included Millipede, and I'm pretty sure later general production runs of the FB4 included it as well. So, for all intents and purposes, the difference between FB5 and FB4 is the loss of Battlezone and the addition of the M Network and homebrew titles. I guess there's a shadow of a chance that Space Invaders got replaced in the FB5 with the actual 2600 Space Invaders, but I wouldn't bet on it.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Rebellion bought Battlezone at auction. AtGames either failed or didn't try to re-license it from the current rights holder.

I wonder if the XBLA and Game Room downloads on Xbox Live Arcade are now delisted.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I am thinking of just going with the Flashback 4 Deluxe instead of the 5 so I get the paddles with it. I know you can buy them separate for $20, but after comparing both game lists, you would be losing Battlezone and gaining Millipede on the FB5. To me that's not an even trade since you already get Centipede. Also, I will be purchasing an Intellivision Flashback, so the added M Network games to the Atari FB mean nothing to me. They are simple throwaways...

Indeed, same here, I agree 100%, Intellivision's Flashback makes M Network games pointless, so sadly, I'm also passing on the Atari Flashback 5, looks like AtGames had some sort of issue on about 6-8 game licenses from Williams/Midway/Stern, because their tentative game list was originally 100 at one time and its box showed Defender II along with Gauntlet!

Edited by TrekkiELO

Indeed, same here, I agree 100%, Intellivision's Flashback makes M Network games pointless, so sadly, I'm also passing on the Atari Flashback 5, looks like AtGames had some sort of issue on about 6-8 game licenses from Williams/Midway/Stern, because their tentative game list was originally 100 at one time and its box showed Defender II along with Gauntlet!

This is true. When I was discussing that with them early on, I never did get a definitive answer on what version of Gauntlet was going to be on there. There are ongoing discussions with Midway and it's likely their stuff will appear in future products, but I think all Midway games - even the Mortal Kombat stuff on the Sega Genesis - got pulled for the 2014 stuff for whatever reason. I'm glad I'm not privy to licensing discussions, as I think I'd go crazy...

• Like 1

Well, if you don't have a previous Flashback, the M Network games are a great addition. It's more games than ever before.

It looks like I won't be allowed to reveal further details on much of anything else until September, but I did want to clarify that in addition to the ColecoVision and Intellivision Flashbacks getting special Dollar General and Sam's Club editions, it looks like both the Atari Flashback 5 and Sega Classic Console will be getting the same treatment. I can't reveal the details of what those are yet, but just be aware that if you're interested in that type of thing, those will also have variations. Since I'll be able to talk about it in September, that should still provide plenty of time to make a final purchase decision. The Sega Genesis handheld unit is the only one that will be solely available in a standard edition. Even though AtGames prefers at this point to wait on releasing further info, I'll of course continue to do my best to try and clarify/correct any incorrect information or rumors.

• 2 weeks later...

A terrible shame they won't see release outside the US. I got the Flashback 4 here in Sweden and it was that very console that got me hooked on Atari in the first place and made me get a real console and a bunch of games, i even went out of my way (and my wallet!) to get a pair of paddles (rare over here) and a extra original joystick just to have a complete set of sticks and paddles to play all the games on both systems.

To be honest, i am most disappointed in missing the Intellivision and Colecovision-flashbacks as i have never ever played any of them, but i became interested in them after becoming a member here.
Sure i can try to get hold of a Intellivision unit but they are very very rare here, and i've never seen a Colecovision for sale at all, never mind finding games for them

If the Flashbacks got an UK or Germany release i could easily get hold of the system and, in the UK case, an adapter for the wall socket since power is the same, the German one would just be plug and play.
To get one from the US would mean outrageous shipping costs and the added nuisance of getting hold of a converter that alters both the plugs and the voltage to Swedish standards.

That's a nice fantasy you have there. Reminds me of nontasters that cover everything in ketchup or hot sauce who act like supertasters don't exist and believe that everybody should eat the way that they do. A lot of people seem to have nontaster brains and it looks like you might be one of them. There are people who can instantly see or hear differences without needing to spend time looking for them.

Different people have different natural abilities. If you have a nontaster brain, you probably can't do anything to change it and you can't magically make everyone else have a nontaster brain, so drop it already.

Or the people who cannot tell the difference between Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

Someplace in the Midwest today, a European 51 y.o. dude stopped at some store, and bought these. [Yeah, I know. They were not supposed to be sold until October 1st. Maybe my charming accent helped ;-)].

I love the units and the controllers. They feel "real", look about the same size as the original (will check later on), and the Colecovision controller feel better, more responsive, less clunky!

Will try them out later on, after dinner.post-32532-0-48972400-1408841721_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-73351800-1408841732_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-73634200-1408841740_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-29593700-1408841748_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-35038400-1408841751_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Wow, nice score! :-o Do tell us all about them!

In particular, is Space Invaders on the FB5 the 2600 version or the arcade port that was on the FB4?

I posted a quick review of both the Intellivision and the Colecovision units on the forum posts devoted to them. To summarize my thoughts, these are excellent products. GREAT joypads / joysticks, just like the original, yet improved in terms of mechanics / responsiveness. Accurate emulation, running the original roms (I initially wrote 100% accurate emulation, but I genuinely would not know for sure. Let's put it this way: I have the original machines and games, and I don't see differences).

I have not unpacked my Atari 5 yet. I will let you know asap [first day of classes today, and I'm a college prof, sigh :)].

Edited by didimo63
  • Like 1

The picture on the back shows the 2600 version of space invaders. That's a good sign.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, honestly. I was pushing hard for consistency in the box art that was used, which is why they're all like that. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my review unit yet, so I don't know what version is on there either.