IGNORED

A/V issues with Genesis 32X

darthkur

I have an odd problem with A/V cables not producing sound with my 32X. I'm using it in conjunction with a model 1 Genny. I've tried 4 different cables, one of which didn't work at all and the other three will produce clear video but no audio. It does work just fine though with the RF cable. Why would this be?

post-10357-0-56029400-1391091676_thumb.jpg

When you say "four different cables" I assume you mean the cable between the Genesis and the 32X. Did you use the same small-DIN (Genesis 2/3 A/V) to large-DIN (Genesis 1 A/v) adapter on all four cables, or a completely different set of cables each time?

When you say "RF cable," is that an RF cable connected to the Genesis 1, or an RF cable connected to the 32X on top of the Genesis 1?

Does the 32X produce audio when connected to a Genesis 2? Does the Genesis 1 produce audio when connected directly to the TV using an A/V cable?

These questions should at least help narrow down where the faulty component is.

You can't use a stereo AV cable with the 32X when it's hooked up to a model 1 Genesis. You'll either have to use a mono AV cable or use the headphone jack on the Genesis.

Sadly that was the issue right there. I certainly wish this was a more publicized fact or, at the very least, I had known about it. The first two of the 4 cables I have, those being the cable that connects to the back of the 32X/Genny Model 2 with three RCA type plugs at the other end, were defective it turns out. The first one utterly broke and the other had a break in the connection near the end. It's odd that they would not at least produce audio out of one channel but apparently they're not wired like that.

I much prefer the aesthetics of the model 1 versus the reduced sized 2nd edition. Plus the model 2 console I have, and must use now, has masking tape residue all over and, what appears to be, an acid burn on the back left corner. Oh, well, enough of my pissing and moaning. :P At least it works as does the A/V cable. Thanks very much for the info ApolloBoy.

post-10357-0-11800300-1391205525_thumb.jpg

post-10357-0-34692400-1391205556_thumb.jpg

Edited by darthkur