IGNORED

Euro Power Supplies

Level42

ABBUC sells replacement power supplies for the 800XL, etc. rated at 2A and they have a version with international plug adapters that should work pretty much everywhere. I do think they sell to non-members as well (if there's an excuse for being one...) and at 10 EUR the price is very reasonable. Probably generate less heat, too. I got some even if the big bricks are more retro.

http://www.abbuc.de/abbuc/shop/hardware/schaltnetzteil-fuer-atari-xlxe130211104209

And another found "in Poland":

6) CO61763-11

Type Nr.: DV-515UP

Input: 220VAC 50Hz 22VA

Output: 5VDC 1.5A 7.5VA

GS and TUV approval logos.

Made in Taiwan

Thermilly fused at 110 degr. C.

Interesting to see this indicates the pin-out and voltages of the connector.

This appears to be the infamous INGOT power supply, which is known to go over voltage and can damage ICs when it fails!

• Like 1

Indeed it looks a lot like it, so that is true for the US and Euro version then ? Wouldn't hurt to try to avoid it though :)

The nr. 5) I listed looks exactly like what is called "The Logo" in the US power supplies thread. I made a typo on that one for the part number by the way it is CO 70045-01/T, not CO 700045-01/T.

That partnr. is very close to the US version of that supply which figures.

I would like to edit that posting I posted the nr 5) in but it looks like there is a limited time you can edit posts here ? For "history" and searches it would be nice to have that typo fixed....

Edited by Level42

• 2 years later...

3) CO61763-11

Input: 220VAC 50Hz 26VA

Output: 5VDC 1,5A

Fuse: T 2.5A

Thermal fuse: 125 degr.C

T40/E

Approval signs: VDE (German) GS (Geprüfte Sicherheit (="tested safety", German)

Brand: FWGB which stands for Friwo Gerätebau GmbH. from Germany

Notes: The FW1599 Typenr. is a factory Friwo number. Although it doesn't say it was made in Germany it was produced by a German company and the unit is over a very very good quality. Construction, lay-out are excellent. I haven't checked the schematics, but the set-up is pretty extensive for a "simple" 5V DC power supply.

The big filter cap is of the Frako brand (www.frako.com), a very high quality German capacitor brand. FRAKO stands for FRAnkfurter KOndensatorenfabrik or "capacitor factory of Frankfurt". I couldn't see the brand of the smaller caps but I measured all of them with a high quality ESR meter and all show excellent values still.

I think this supply is the most common one for the XLs around here and my preferred power supply.

Another thing that is worth noting on this CO61763-11 adapter - it is extremely easy to physically get in at to repair and replace components. It is not epoxied together and four slot-screw bolts hold the thing in one piece. A really, really nice PSU and in fact my favourite of all the Atari machines I have owned.

I also had the epoxied British one for a long time. Its weakest feature in my mind was the terrible quality of the 5V lead which seemed to work-harden and be ready to snap off where it left the shell if you so much as looked at it heavily, also these days it is giving out a high voltage of 5.3V and has been in the WEEE waste bin for over eight months. I'm still on the fence about actually throwing it though; I have a lot of good memories and affection for this huge chunk of plastic!

Edited by morelenmir
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

3) CO61763-11

Input: 220VAC 50Hz 26VA

Output: 5VDC 1,5A

Fuse: T 2.5A

Thermal fuse: 125 degr.C

T40/E

Approval signs: VDE (German) GS (Geprüfte Sicherheit (="tested safety", German)

Brand: FWGB which stands for Friwo Gerätebau GmbH. from Germany

Notes: The FW1599 Typenr. is a factory Friwo number. Although it doesn't say it was made in Germany it was produced by a German company and the unit is over a very very good quality. Construction, lay-out are excellent. I haven't checked the schematics, but the set-up is pretty extensive for a "simple" 5V DC power supply.

The big filter cap is of the Frako brand (www.frako.com), a very high quality German capacitor brand. FRAKO stands for FRAnkfurter KOndensatorenfabrik or "capacitor factory of Frankfurt". I couldn't see the brand of the smaller caps but I measured all of them with a high quality ESR meter and all show excellent values still.

I think this supply is the most common one for the XLs around here and my preferred power supply.

Hi,

I have a 800XL with this PSU and glad to hear it is a quality one compared to other. I have checked the PSU pcb recently and did not noted anything suspicious but was thinking to replace the tree elec caps as a precaution. I have a doubt concerning the two 100uF 25V caps as I am not sure if they are or not polarised. Both caps have a white band on one side so I assume this is to identify the negative lead? It is the first time I see caps with this odd marking.

Thanks

Rick

• 2 months later...

At http://blog.3b2.sk/igi/post/Napajaci-zdroj-02-ATARI-power-supply.aspx there is a table that lists many Euro power supplies. One of the entries is:

FW6799, (no Atari part number), 9.30V, 1.66A, for use with 1010,850,400,800,1200XL

This should be the OEM unit supplied with the 400/800/810/822/850 when the 8-bits launched in West Germany in fall 1981.

But I have yet to find a pic of this power supply. Do you have one? Could you share pictures of it?

• 11 months later...

I'm currently going through a LOT of those European power supplies and I'm wondering if any 220V power supply based on the epoxy fill design ('brick') should be thrown away? I just got rid of (2) and (6) (INGOT) from Page 1 of this thread. Now, I'm wondering if style (5) which I got with a SECAM XEGS should also be considered disposable. It's heavy, epoxy filled, etc.

The epoxy fill increases the power supply's tendecy to overheat. At least the electric parts are under bigger strain. And the parts cannot be inspected.

All original power supplies are today beyond their expected lifetime, so a failure is something expected.

I don't know if to keep it, but I would not use it. At least I would check the output voltage regularly, or get some external overvoltage protection. If the PSU blows, then it blows, but shouldn't take the computer with it.

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2014 at 8:59 PM, Level42 said:

OK, so nobody gives a fuck....but has any of the Euro guys had a Euro power supply go bad, or even damaging the machines they were connected to ?

I seem to remember from BITD that sometimes the epoxied version sometimes blew it's thermal fuse and rendered it completely useless although I found them to get not that warm at all.

Yes, indeed, old (European) power supplies go bad as well and stop providing the exact voltage they are expected to. When too high, it can really damage a computer. I already experienced it.

I completely stopped using all of my old computer power supplies and use a new Lotharek power supply instead or other regulated voltage source instead.

BTW, if you have a strong interest for the topic, the "Atari 8-bit FAQ" includes a long section dedicated to power supplies.

You can find the latest copy here: http://www.atari800xl.eu/faq/atari-8bit-faq.html

If you own other power supplies, not listed there, please send all the details to the author (Michael), who will be delighted to add that information in future editions.

On 1/31/2014 at 12:03 AM, Level42 said:

2) CO 61763-34

Larger epoxy sealed unit.

Input: 240VAC 50Hz 24W

Output: 5VDC 7.5VA

T40/E

No approval signs only text: Produced to BS415. BS does not mean Bull Shit but stands for British Standard :D

Seems to have a brand logo: TAD

Made in U.K.

Ditto. Mine came with my 130XE. I've always wondered if this is a "safe" PSU. It gets rarely used, but I did try it recently and the computer powered up and operated OK.