IGNORED

DOS 2.0S DUP.SYS Source Code?

sm3

There is a thread on this forum from 2011 regarding the source code to DUP.SYS of the 2.0S DOS. I guess it was in the manual in the photo below. I'm not able to find that manual anywhere. Would anyone here happen to have a scanned copy they can upload?

There are 2 text files in that thread that is supposed to be DUP.SYS, however, the last poster is questioning whether some of it is missing from the posted text files.

Any assistance is appreciated!

The files in the old thread are not the DUP listing. They are assembler input files for DUP, while the DUP listing is the assembler output file.

The line numbers do not match up between the two files, either.

I have the document, but I have no reasonable way to scan it.

Bob

Hi Bob,

OK, I didn't realize it was that rare! I was hoping maybe someone who had a scanned copy or knows where we could locate one would see this thread. I may give Best Electronics a shot, doesn't hurt to ask, although I don't recall seeing it in the catalog.

Thanks,

Steve

Good news for anyone that may be interested, Best Electronics does have these in stock. I've placed an order for one. I'll see about getting it uploaded to atarimania or provide a copy here.

I have that document. Maybe if you and me take half, we could scan it easier. It is in with the Technical Reference notes I have.

I have that document. Maybe if you and me take half, we could scan it easier. It is in with the Technical Reference notes I have.

Are you sure it's part of the "Technical Reference Notes"? That other thread I linked above says it isn't. I think the OS source is in that book not the DUP.SYS source, but I may be mistaken.

Are you sure it's part of the "Technical Reference Notes"? That other thread I linked above says it isn't. I think the OS source is in that book not the DUP.SYS source, but I may be mistaken.

Yes, the OS source in the TRN, Then I have OS User's Manual, then the 'Hardware Manual' and finally the '810 DOS Utilites Source Listing (DOS II) (about 100 pages),

I also have the '800XL Field Service Manual'. I also have some Sam's Photofact, but I think that's for the 130XE. Sam's are still for sale. The FSM is for sale, probably.

Maybe the OS source is in the OS User's Manual. Yes, OS Source is in the OS User's Manual, not TRN.

Edited by russg

If your willing to let me borrow it. I can scan it in my document feeder pretty quickly. I have already scanned over fifty Atari books plus tons of manuals and other papers. Just let me know.

Allan

Thanks for the offer. I'll try to do this by myself, with some help. I have a copying printer, that will copy to a pdf file.

Edited by russg

Yes, the OS source in the TRN, Then I have OS User's Manual, then the 'Hardware Manual' and finally the '810 DOS Utilites Source Listing (DOS II) (about 100 pages),

I also have the '800XL Field Service Manual'. I also have some Sam's Photofact, but I think that's for the 130XE. Sam's are still for sale. The FSM is for sale, probably.

Maybe the OS source is in the OS User's Manual. Yes, OS Source is in the OS User's Manual, not TRN.

OK. It's going to be several days until I get my shipment from Best Electronics and then I need to purchase a scanner, so it will be a while for me.

OK. It's going to be several days until I get my shipment from Best Electronics and then I need to purchase a scanner, so it will be a while for me.

Unless you're buying a scanner as something you generally need, I wouldn't expect you to buy a scanner. I'm doing income taxes right now, so maybe I'll scan the DOS II sorce, it shouldn't be such a big deal.

Unless you're buying a scanner as something you generally need, I wouldn't expect you to buy a scanner. I'm doing income taxes right now, so maybe I'll scan the DOS II sorce, it shouldn't be such a big deal.

Yeah, I've wanted one for a while now, going to get one of those printer/scanner/copiers ;)

It may be a little slower compared to a dedicated scanner, but it will serve its purpose. Thanks for assisting with this though.

OK. I'll take a look at it. I really haven't researched all my options yet.

I have a HP Officejet 6500. It is about 5 years old. The problem with almost all modern printers, ink jets, is the manufacturer sells the printer cheap, then it costs $35 for a XL cartridge, anyway, a lot for the cartridges.

Laser printers probably get more pages out of a toner, but toner is really expensive. (By 'cheap', I mean about $100 for a printer that does everything, color print, fax, scan, paper feed.)

They also detect if you get a refilled/cheap cartridge and fuss at you. And sometimes the cheap cart fails, that what happened last cart I did. The cart has a chip in it, identifies if it is 'genuine' or not.

Edited by russg

Laser printers probably get more pages out of a toner, but toner is really expensive.

Laser printers get a lot more pages out of toner, especially if you have a tendency to leave your inkjet unused for periods of time, allowing the cartridges to dry out. Unless you need to use a laserjet for high-production printing, or need color, a nice small dependable HP can be had relatively cheap and aftermarket replacement toners can be had for between $20 - $50 (depending on the printer). For me the toner lasts almost infinitely and, having worked on printers before, I never encountered toner that was rejected by a printer for being aftermarket, in sharp contrast to a slew of HP inkjets that want to do so for not being genuine, and also for being past a certain date even if they are genuine.

Edited by MrFish

I've got a dust-gathering Brother inkjet with a flatbed scanner, and ink cartridges that are very cheap), plus my main printer, a Brother scan/copy/print that does duplex printing, but only single-sided scanning. It's networked plus a USB connection and was about $100, new, on sale. Sheet feeder on the scanner, too.

Have to say that I'm a fan of laser printers for the home; the few times I need colour photos they're about 10c each at the grocery store...

A dizzying array of options, that is for sure. I may be leaning towards an inkjet multifunction myself as I tend do color photo printing. I will demote my current inkjet to my son ;)

In any case, unless someone provides the source listing sooner, I will make it available after I get the document and my printer.

If anyone does a lot of scanning I had a friend who told me his accountant(who scans a lot of documents) recommended the Fujitsu SnapScan IX500 to him. They are more expensive but are supposed to be very fast, reliable, have sheet feeders and scan duplex.

The IX500 is about $500 to $550 with a 50 sheet ADF/25ppm rating, and the S1300I portable is about $250 to $300 with a 10 sheet ADF/12ppm rating.

http://www.fujitsu.com/emea/products/scanners/scansnap/

If anyone does a lot of scanning I had a friend who told me his accountant(who scans a lot of documents) recommended the Fujitsu SnapScan IX500 to him. They are more expensive but are supposed to be very fast, reliable, have sheet feeders and scan duplex.

The IX500 is about $500 to $550 with a 50 sheet ADF/25ppm rating, and the S1300I portable is about $250 to $300 with a 10 sheet ADF/12ppm rating.

http://www.fujitsu.com/emea/products/scanners/scansnap/

Yeah, I was just looking at this one yesterday. I'm trying to decide if I really need a flatbed scanner, or if I can get away with just a multifunction printer. The benefit of the flatbed is that you can scan stuff like books or paper that maybe isn't quite flat. For the DOS II source listing, I'm sure I could get away with one of these or a multifunction printer.

Fortunately I still have a bit to decide while I wait for my shipment to arrive.

Yeah, Epson has some cool models as well.

I believe this one will serve my purpose. You just lift the top for a flatbed scanner:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CB33201

My dup.sys source code listing arrived from Best Electronics. I didn't even get a chance to get my scanner yet ;)

It's about 104 pages or so in total.

Please note, the image below is just an example of the first page of the dup.sys source listing, it's not the full scanned copy.

I think your link is for a single page?

I did 20 pages. you can download it (the first 20 pages in a .pdf) from http://www.russgilb.net.

The original is not a good copy, so don't expect too much, especially the first few pages.

The pages will be sideways, so it would be better to print them out, landscape style.

No need to advise me to lower the dpi, it needs all the dpi it can get.

I belive it is about 127 pages.

Edited by russg