IGNORED

TCR Video Sport 900PC found in the wild. Please help me out.

This appears to be a U.S.A. released PC-50x family console. There's no processor on the board of the system and it also has 10 switch positions with A-J and similar cartridges too. I can't find anything about this otherwise on the net other than a mention or two of it even existing so it has to be nothing less than uber rare! If any of you can do some research and shed some light on this it would be awesome.

Unfortunately I can't get this working properly. I put it on channel 3 just as the manual says and barely get any more than fuzzy haze letting me no nothing more than that the thing is powering up. On top of that it looks like it was all hand soldered and is incredibly chintzy in quality and the controller cases are badly broken and would require a ton of work to repair which I don't know if I want to undertake if I can't get the system working first.

I don't know anything more than that so please help out if you can. This is probably going to be one of my coolest finds in a long long time even if it doesn't work at all. I found this at a Goodwill store in Arlington Heights IL at about 3PM for $6.99 and someone had been playing with it as it had been laying around the furniture section and taken out of the box and laying around so I was lucky to have caught this out of the corner of my eye.

This came with the 110v power cord too and it has FCC stuff on it so I believe it to be American released. Does anyone know anymore about it at all or is there anyone in the greater Chicagoland Illinois area that may be able to help me get it running properly.

Thanks

Here goes with the pictures!

DSCI0731_zps4949eaec.jpg

DSCI0733_zps262d0075.jpg\

DSCI0732_zps5ceb0385.jpg

DSCI0748_zps63ded401.jpg

DSCI0750_zpsd320ff7a.jpg

DSCI0749_zpsf28947fe.jpg

DSCI0734_zps7c1b4cd6.jpg

DSCI0739_zps79a3980b.jpg

DSCI0738_zps579b559a.jpg

DSCI0740_zps4e15c8c3.jpg

DSCI0746_zps306abae6.jpg

DSCI0735_zps4f546923.jpg

DSCI0736_zps06d8886e.jpg

Edited by vintagegamecrazy
  • Like 1

I'm sure there are many knowledgeable and capable people in the Chicagoland area that might be able to help, but one person in particular comes to mind... Sean Kelly. He owns and operates VideoGames Then & Now in Norridge (Harlem and Montrose) which is a 20 minute drive from AH. The store # is (708) 457-2260.

Fascinating that the PC-50X might've had a US release! Not truly surprising, but remarkable that one had gone undiscovered all these decades. Definitely plausible, though!

The VGCL site does list the PC-50X as having been released in North America but doesn't indicate anything further. Interestingly, their list of games for the family:

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg70-pc50x.htm#page=games

doesn't mention the cartridge you had a picture of- though perhaps it's one of the games mentioned?

Whatever you find out about this, congratulations on such a find! :)

Blazing Lazers, I just compared those screenshots to the ones on my system box and almost all of them match up perfectly so this has to be a PC-50X console. I'm going to try and fix this thing but it's going to take some work to say the least. I'm going to have to take a lot of pics of the MoBo and desolder the internal RF modulator to see if the wires are loose since there's no strain reliefs on the cord. I'll keep everyone posted though. Do I really own the only known console here? Does anyone else have one or at least have leads to one. I'm starting to think that this is going down as my best find ever but for some reason I'm either reserved or it hasn't really hit me yet!

• Like 1

Blazing Lazers, I just compared those screenshots to the ones on my system box and almost all of them match up perfectly so this has to be a PC-50X console. I'm going to try and fix this thing but it's going to take some work to say the least. I'm going to have to take a lot of pics of the MoBo and desolder the internal RF modulator to see if the wires are loose since there's no strain reliefs on the cord. I'll keep everyone posted though. Do I really own the only known console here? Does anyone else have one or at least have leads to one. I'm starting to think that this is going down as my best find ever but for some reason I'm either reserved or it hasn't really hit me yet!

I hadn't been aware that any of the PC-50X systems had been released here in the US, and I believe that you've really found something that is at least very rare, and possibly unique to this region. If even the pong-story site didn't have your system mentioned, you can be assured about the rarity. Uniqueness too, if nobody else is known to have another surviving one. There is the chance that some collector does have one and does not realize/has forgotten about it. You should find out soon enough!

I happen to have every one of the pre-NES US systems (and complete/nearly complete collections for several), but have never gone after the PC-50X because I had believed it had not been released in the US. That may change now with your discovery, but I'd encourage you to keep your find no matter what somebody might offer you for it- it might be a long time before another surfaces.

I'm also particularly interested in your find since I recently had a similar experience of discovering that a system had been released in a previously unknown world region. Some months back I acquired from Australia what I had assumed was a Coleco Telstar Arcade system and games that Coleco had sold in Canada, and whose owner must've moved to Australia at some point. That the boxes and manuals were both French and Canadian seemed to confirm that, as did stickers indicating Canadian manufacture. It wasn't until a fellow AA'er here who purchased the lot from me opened up the unit and realized it was wired as a PAL unit! The AC adapter was missing, and I had never opened it up myself. Further searches and contact with Ebay sellers in Australia turned up other Australian Telstar Arcade games and confirmation that they had been purchased down under back during their original retail life. Basically, two AA'ers discovered that the Telstar Arcade had been sold in both PAL and NTCS formats, where it had always been believed that it was an NTCS unit only. And only one system and a handful of games are known to exist proving that!

What you have is likely the only known proof of the 50X series being available in the US- you've done a great thing in documenting it with pictures here, and while I personally do not have the technical expertise to fix it up I'll echo what earlier posters said about showing it to Sean Kelly and getting it fixed up- you're really lucky to have someone like him so close by your area!

And out of curiosity, are there any dates on any of what you found? The 50X series came out in 1975- that is before the Channel F from '76. I think you know what that would mean...

Edited by Blazing Lazers

this link shows some more pics and is the only other remotely close evidence that the system was ever released in the States and it says it was released in 1978. There may be some validity to the date but I can't confirm that at all since there's no date on the system, box or manual at all. That was one of the first things that I checked for. It's really still a mystery.

Depends what meaning you give for "programmable".

The PC-50* family says "programmable" only because you can "program" the game modes you want to play. (a similar meaning is used for washing machines; where you can "program" them)

"Programmable" is more usually referring to a game system for which you can program games; so any console using a processor and having a cart slot or any media input. Programmable console appears with the Fairchild VES and the Radofin 1292 Advanced Video Programmable System, both released in 1976.

The PC-50* carts and consoles seems to appears "only" in 1977.

Two consoles might fall in a gap :

The Interton Video 2000 and the Philips TeleSpiel.

Both were released in 1975, and both are all-analog systems using carts, but unlike the Magnavox Odyssey, their carts include analog component to display more elements (for example, the V2000 cart N°5, Super Tennis, can display scores, a function that doesn't exist in the console itself). True, those systems aren't "programmable" but you can add gameplay elements.

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg70-pc50x.htm#page=games

doesn't mention the cartridge you had a picture of- though perhaps it's one of the games mentioned?

This site list "only" the carts released under the PC-50* series. It's no surprise that some systems came up with their own cart and game names.

It's very exciting to discover that the PC-50* was sold in the USA after all.

Edited by CatPix

• 1 year later...

An update to an old thread: I am happy to report that I have located the first photo of a working unit. A good friend of mine picked the system up for me. The unit appears to have the same packaging as the above unit. I was able to get the system to appear working on the screen, with both controllers.

post-7241-0-62615500-1453093451_thumb.jpg

post-7241-0-66473600-1453093469_thumb.jpg

post-7241-0-86627200-1453093485_thumb.jpg

post-7241-0-18668300-1453093523_thumb.jpg

Edited by swlovinist
  • Like 6

Interesting to see close pics. I like the game selector made of a mechanical switch, as opposed to most(all?) European versions made of a (shitty) keyboard, and having letters rather than numbers.

The solid pad connection is another good point, tho it almost look like home made. But maybe TCR received complaints and modified the consoles quickly. (so, this version would be older, and the one that started this thread, having the DIN connectors inside the console on a board, more recent, with the plug-in sticks being aknowledged and properly integrated).

Or maybe you unplug the controllers to plug the two-guns sets, if it even existed on that version.

Do you own any of the additionnal cartridges, or the gun accessory?

Interesting to see close pics. I like the game selector made of a mechanical switch, as opposed to most(all?) European versions made of a (shitty) keyboard, and having letters rather than numbers.

The solid pad connection is another good point, tho it almost look like home made. But maybe TCR received complaints and modified the consoles quickly. (so, this version would be older, and the one that started this thread, having the DIN connectors inside the console on a board, more recent, with the plug-in sticks being aknowledged and properly integrated).

Or maybe you unplug the controllers to plug the two-guns sets, if it even existed on that version.

Do you own any of the additionnal cartridges, or the gun accessory?

I agree that the gun would probably just be used on the existing ports of the controllers. I have several other pong clones that use the same connector to plug in a gun. I bet it would work, and I may try it. I dont have additional carts, but definitely want them know and will pay accordingly.

Edited by swlovinist

Interesting. On all Pongs systems I have/have seen, they either use a combination of two jacks to plug in the system, or on others, as the controllers are hardwired, they have a separate DIN input. But I see nothing impossible in using the same connector for different style of input :P

Unless you mean that other Pong have an additionnal input forr the gun, that are DIN connector as well.

Edited by CatPix

Interesting. On all Pongs systems I have/have seen, they either use a combination of two jacks to plug in the system, or on others, as the controllers are hardwired, they have a separate DIN input. But I see nothing impossible in using the same connector for different style of input :P

Unless you mean that other Pong have an additionnal input forr the gun, that are DIN connector as well.

Other pongs do have typically a seperate port for the gun, but this pong unit is unique that the controllers are removable and use the same connection as the gun, which is indeed found in many pong clone systems.

• 1 year later...

This thread is only one of two places I could find any reference to the TCR 900pc Video Sport Programmable Console. I managed to get my hands on one of these consoles through an Ebay auction. I've been trying to do research throughout the web, though I've come up shorthanded.

I know this is a semi-old thread, but does anyone have updated information regarding this console? Possible value? Rarity? Is this thing actually proof that PC-50* series was released in the US?

I'm not quite sure what to do with this thing, I'm just looking for some guidance here. Or where I could start locating a potential buyer?

Thank you in advance for the help!

• Like 1

Well given the cart, the very alike PCB, it's certainly a proof that the PC-50* series were released in the US.

Rarity? Certainly is rare, if you only found about it here, and that Pong Picture Page.de didn't even had it.

Value? Well, here, I wo'nt be able to help you no further.

Find a die-hard fan of those Pong-like games, and he might pay $50 for your system. or $500. or $5000. Or $5.

You have an unique system, and so the value of it is really only what someone else will be reay to pay for it.

I mean, enve in Europe where those systems are common, they are worth next to nothing because no one but some silly people like me are interested in owning one, let alone have a "fullset".

• 1 month later...

Here are the pictures of mine again since the links are broken at the top post.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/vintagegamecrazy/slideshow/TCR%20Video%20Sport%20900PC%20find%20at%20Goodwill

Primus XXVI what did you pay for yours and how complete is yours?

Is anyone around the Chicago area able to help me repair mine? My controller cases are badly broken as well and unusable. I'd like to rewire different sticks to work on this thing, TRS 80 sticks seem to be the most similar with plug and controller style.

Edited by vintagegamecrazy

Hi all,

Vintagegamecrazy, here is a link to my initial listing of this TCR Console:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253052923530#viTabs_0

This console came with a HUGE vintage game lot I purchased a few months back. I purchased the whole lot for around $300, which broke down to around $1.50 per item ( :thumbsup: ).

Here is what came w/ the TCR console:

Complete Contents:
*TCR Video Sport Original Box
*900pc Series Console
*Two Controllers
*One "Programmable" Video Game Cartridge - Contains Multiple Games
*AC Power Adapter

I can provide the pictures here as well if requested.

Thanks to swlovinist, and his in-depth video review, my console sold hours after the video upload :-D

But now I am slightly upset at myself for letting it go.

To test the console, I connected the TCR Video Output to a TV RF Coaxial Adapter, which was then plugged into a VCR, then to my VIZIO LCD TV. The picture looked pretty dang good.

All in all, it is very cool to have had the chance to own and play this console.

-Zach

Also, I know this is a little off topic for this thread, though it has to do w/ other possibly rare vintage games outside the Atari realm.

A buyer recently reached out to me with a request to find a rare Odyssey 2 game called Death Race. I looked around and I managed to find and purchase 2 completely NEW copies :)

I believe only 50 of these games in the original box were produced, I could be very wrong.

I know this could be a whole new thread, but seeing we're on the topic of rare finds, I'll mention it here.

I don't know too much about this game, what I do know is that it was a "homebrew" Odyssey 2 game. It was a very controversial game at the time, due to the objective of the game being to run over as many "people" as possible within the given time frame lol.

I'd like to find someone w/ a great deal of actual interest in the Odyssey 2 system, who will truly appreciate this 2nd original copy (other copy is going to the buyer that initially reached out to me). I'll only charge what I paid for it, I'm not interested in making a profit on this one if I can find someone, as I previously mentioned, to really cherish it.

Let me know if you have any more information on this game, and if you know someone who is looking to get their hands on this game.

Thank you!

-Zach

Edited by PRIMUS_XXVI