IGNORED

Poll: Who has a 7800, modded with Eckhard's DevOS?

CPUWIZ

Who has a 7800, modded with Eckhard's DevOS?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have one or have plans to eventually mod your system?

• Me, I have one!
    • Want to, but can't.
    • Why would you?
    • Don't know what that means.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hmmm. Well, I don't have a modded system but wouldn't mind having one. If I may ask, why are did you do this poll? You don't generally chat for chat's sake so something tells me you want to know for a reason other than curiosity. I'm guessing you're think of doing/making something depending on the outcome of your poll.

Allan

• Like 1

If I may ask, why are did you do this poll?

Why are did I? :P

Yes, I actually goofed and didn't include the secondary question, "Did you ever make a RAM cart?". I am a little surprised that a third of the votes are from people who didn't know what it was. :(

I may have some time to tinker later, I am still debugging work.

Why are did I? :P

Yes, I actually goofed and didn't include the secondary question, "Did you ever make a RAM cart?". I am a little surprised that a third of the votes are from people who didn't know what it was. :(

I may have some time to tinker later, I am still debugging work.

Ha Ha. That will teach me for trying to type something quickly and not checking it before hitting post. :)

Allan

From what I've read, the RAM cart has the Parallel Port installed on it. Has anyone instead mounted it and wired it to the 7800 instead?

No, the transfer cable connects the parallel port on the PC to the right joystick port on the 7800. There is no need to install a parallel port anywhere.

And if you just want a RAM cart to test your own code without the need to read out the contends of existing 2600 and 7800 games, Graham Percy has designed a RAM cart with the transfer code build in, so you only need to modify the cartridge but not the console.

• Like 1

Sounds great. Let me know how to buy one. :)

I would also be willing to help port the send/receive to a modern OS if nobody has done that yet. I haven't looked at it in years, but was there a reason it was done with parallel instead of serial?

Edited by R.Cade

I would also be willing to help port the send/receive to a modern OS if nobody has done that yet. I haven't looked at it in years, but was there a reason it was done with parallel instead of serial?

Simplicity and me being bad a soldering basically. ;) The whole DevOS thing started out as a cartridge reader. The RAM carts came later. So at first we only needed to install the new BIOS, which is simple on some PAL systems, and a cable. Since the parallel port uses 5V like the 7800 joystick port, soldering the cable was simple enough for me to do it myself. ;)

Also I wrote the code while John did the testing and burned the final EPROMs for me. So having a simple but flexible transfer protocol that didn't need precise timing helped to speed up the development process.

I have some serial transfer routines halfway done. I know I always say I'll finish them every time this topic comes up and then never do that, but that is mainly because of all the 2600 dumping routines. Most of them run in the 128 byte RIOT RAM. For some of them space is tight and timing is difficult, so changing the transfer routine to serial might not be possible. That's why I usually give up pretty quickly. If the change is just for the RAMONA RAM cart BIOS, I might be able to finish them this time. Really. ;)

Sounds great. Let me know how to buy one. :)

For speed purposes, I would imagine. There's a limit to how fast data can be reliably transmitted or received through the joystick port, so using a parallel interface instead of serial allows for more efficient transfers.

(EDIT: See Eckhard's post above.)

It may be possible to upgrade the parallel interface to USB with one of the new USB-to-FIFO bridge chips (here is a development module for one such chip). This would allow a more modern implementation of 7800CTRL on the PC side to use the same protocol, only through USB instead of through the parallel port. I started working on a Java-based replacement for the DOS version of 7800CTRL using the RXTX library, but I've long since lost the code.

• Like 1