IGNORED

illegal command: DASM.

RileyP

I am using DOSBOX to emulate DOS but after having the assembly code and dasm.exe file in the same directory, going to the directory in DOSBOX, then trying to enter "dasm mygame.asm -f3 -omygame.bin" i get an "Illegal command: dasm."

PLEASE HELP!!

No worries. I was just checking whether your dasm was actually a DOS program, or Windows command-line. The two are different things.

It doesn't really matter. Just grab the Windows version of DASM from this post. Make a new directory c:\dasm and stick the dasm.exe from the zip and your assembly file in there.

From Windows, go to "Start -> Search" and type "CMD". This should open a command window. In the command window type "cd \dasm", and then "dasm mygame.asm -f3 -omygame.bin".

Good luck!

[edit] Also, next time it would be better if you threw questions like these in the 2600 programming forum, instead of the main Atari 2600 one.

Thanks! That worked for the most part.. but it just says "Fatal assembly error: Check command-line format."

Usage: dasm sourcefile [options] - is another thing it says....

I just saw this after answering your PM, so you can ignore some of the questions I asked in my reply.

Assuming the DASM.EXE executable is in the C:\DASM folder, there are a few things that might be causing your problem:

(1) The file you're trying to assemble isn't in the C:\DASM folder and you didn't include its file path in the command line.

(2) The file you're trying to assemble *is* in the C:\DASM folder, or you *did* include its file path, but the file name itself is wrong-- e.g., it might be "example.asm" but you entered it as "mygame.asm" because that's what the example command line said.

(3) The problem might be in the other parts of the command line-- the "-f3" parameter or the "-o" parameter. I think these parameters need to be in lowercase, and "-o" is the letter "o" as in "output." There should be no spaces between the parameters and their arguments.

• Like 1