IGNORED

Why no Battlesphere Gold Jag CD Release?

Rick Dangerous

So I'm a long time Nintendo collector, and new to the Jag scene, so feel free to berate me for asking a stupid question, and banish me forever, but why has no one been able to release Battlesphere Gold for the Jag CD?

It seems like there are plenty of people who want to play it, and not enough copies to go around. Wouldn't it make sense to do a Jag CD release? I'd snap it right up and I'm sure a few hundred other people would as well.... And I'm sorry I don't want to play it on an emulator! I want to play it on the Jag! I just don't care if it's on a cart or on a CD.

technicaly i dont know if its possible ... would be if the game just runs in memory with no need for cart rom

but i think the developers left the jagscene.. long time no see

so noone could change the code for a cd release

sad

But didn't they buy the unfinished game from someone else, finish it, and release it themselves? I'm surprised no one has tracked them down for the game to re-release on CD. I doubt it would take much to mod to put on a CD and anyone who has a Jag wants a copy...Just not sure why no one has looked into it, was hoping someone might know something about it.

But didn't they buy the unfinished game from someone else, finish it, and release it themselves? I'm surprised no one has tracked them down for the game to re-release on CD. I doubt it would take much to mod to put on a CD and anyone who has a Jag wants a copy...Just not sure why no one has looked into it, was hoping someone might know something about it.

Nope Scatologic made it themselves and they aren't going to make a CD version.

• Like 5

think its not very simple coded game. very individual 3d engine maybe... and as i told you if it just takes some data from module-ram while playing you have big problems

this game was released by the developers and only they got the source ..

does anyone knof if they are still around? the coders?

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum here before, so you can do a search and find out more.

Essentially, the cartridge is 4MB in size, but the Jag CD uses the Jag's 2MB of RAM. The game would have to be completely re-written to run off a CD, and the developers of BattleSphere have made it very clear they have no intention (to put it mildly) of doing further work in the Jaguar scene.

• Like 4

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum here before, so you can do a search and find out more.

Essentially, the cartridge is 4MB in size, but the Jag CD uses the Jag's 2MB of RAM. The game would have to be completely re-written to run off a CD, and the developers of BattleSphere have made it very clear they have no intention (to put it mildly) of doing further work in the Jaguar scene.

And to add to that in case that's what the OP would ask next: Neither do they have any intention to produce more cartridges or let somebody else do a rerelease. At least that's the ladt I heard.

If you want to play BS you have to pay the asking price.

And to add to that in case that's what the OP would ask next: Neither do they have any intention to produce more cartridges or let somebody else do a rerelease. At least that's the ladt I heard.

If you want to play BS you have to pay the asking price.

That's what makes it odd to me. I'm just not sure I understand the reason WHY they won't let someone else make new copies of it? I mean, they could essentially hand everything over to Carl Foran at Songbird Productions and then say... just give us a 20% royalty and cut us a check at the end of the month, and I'm sure it would sell pretty decent. It wouldn't be unreasonable to pay $100 bucks for the game.

I must give the devs one thing though: In the years of development it seems they have refined the AI and accuracy so much that even the first level is almost unbeatable without practice. I played it once, and I was utterly destroyed. Which is not a good thing in game design, but hey, at least it shows the enemy is no cannon fodder.^^

I must give the devs one thing though: In the years of development it seems they have refined the AI and accuracy so much that even the first level is almost unbeatable without practice. I played it once, and I was utterly destroyed. Which is not a good thing in game design, but hey, at least it shows the enemy is no cannon fodder.^^

The game is definitely difficult, but it can be mastered with A LOT of practice. I consider myself lucky that I was able to order the game (original and Gold releases) when they were originally sold from Scatologic/4Play. I would hate to pay the asking prices on eBay for them now. But I have always loved the game.

I did a video for the game way, way back that included a thrash/death metal band I was working with at the time as they liked it too and wanted to make something for it. If I can find it I will post it. Not that anyone cares and no one asked for it :grin:

Okay well that pretty much answers my question. Sorry to all the vets on here who had to go through this again. My understanding is that it's possible, but the creators don't want it to happen, for whatever reason. A shame, but it is what it is.

On a side note just ordered the Jagware Collection, Kobayashi Maru, Pac Man Collection 7800, Space invaders 7800, and Halo 2600 from the shop here. Absolutely stoked to rip those open and play them all night!!

I did search before starting this thread and there really wasn't much concrete on it in the threads or anywhere online. Just a lot of "you can't get it anymore," and "It's real expensive like on ebay." I think there is a lot of stuff veteran's know but It's not really down anywhere solid on the web.. But yes using search not a bad idea anytime before starting a thread!

Edited by travistouchdown

Summary:

The development team for BattleSphere did not get along well with some others, causing a lot of friction and dozens (hundreds?) of flamewar threads, here and elsewhere.

It all ended in misery and they have left the Jaguar scene. They've made it very clear they are not returning, and not intereseted in doing anymore in the Jaguar scene or releasing any more items.

Done, fini. It is unlikely to ever be produced again. If you really want it, your only option is eBay at a few hundred bucks a pop.

If you really want to know what Battlesphere is like, there are lots of videos on Youtube. It's essentially 8-bit Star Raiders on 3D steroids.

Technically it is very impressive. Gameplay-wise, it is not everyone's cup of tea.

I happen to have a copy I bought years ago, and I enjoy it - but frankly I think there are a couple of better games in the Jaguar library.

For example, I think Tempest 2000 is a better game, and you can buy that for $30...

Edited by ls650
  • Like 2