IGNORED

Can you name this 400 replacement keyboard

ACML

• 3 years later...

If you wait long enough, everything eventually shows up on eBay. An Atari 400 just popped up on eBay with a Microtrinics Joywriter 400 keyboard. Besides the one I bought in 1983, this might be the only other one sold (ha ha!). It is ugly, but it worked pretty decently.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by ACML
  • Like 2

It might have been ugly but it wast better than that membrane or some of the other kludges out there for that matter...

the reset key was in a sucky place.... just saying it really sucked ... did I say it sucked where they put the reset key?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

If you wait long enough, everything eventually shows up on eBay. An Atari 400 just popped up on eBay with a Microtrinics Joywriter 400 keyboard. Besides the one I bought in 1983, this might be the only other one sold (ha ha!). It is ugly, but it worked pretty decently.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Well not gonna win this auction now :P

Most of the time we end up bidding against each other and then dump the software or goods to the community any way... we as a rule shouldn't bid against each other since we more than likely will share the spoils and split stuff up among our members here anyway :) Nice to see that spirit expressed above...

Well not gonna win this auction now :P

I'm kind of tempted but think that I'm going to pass on it. It a beautiful thing, though, so I hope it goes to a good home. I just don't feel that I have the space for it so it would sadly have to live in a box in the closet at my house.

my 400s tend to breed in my basement so I don't "need" another one. But that's a keyboard I don't have. I'm sure the sticky keys can be fixed. But on the same token I am not going to pay crazy money for it. I'll see where it is on the last day

That is the most heinous looking replacement keyboard I have ever seen. That thing was an actual product? I love my b-key even more now.

I have to disagree. It is so awkward and huge that I am just in love with it. I love that it isn't simply a replacement for the membrane keyboard but that it is an entire separate unit that sits atop of the 400 and uses the existing stock keyboard to work. I love that it probably *shouldn't* be there but that it forces its way in like an unexpected house guest. It is exactly the sort of weird half-step technology that always excites me so much.

• Like 1

my 400s tend to breed in my basement so I don't "need" another one. But that's a keyboard I don't have. I'm sure the sticky keys can be fixed. But on the same token I am not going to pay crazy money for it. I'll see where it is on the last day

Sorry guys, had some issues with my logon, but that's been taken care of or I would have responded sooner!

That's my auction :-D and the keys are "finicky" not sticky :P

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274073-atari-400-w64k-mosaic-card-joytyper-keyboard-410-recorder-and-more/

From my testing, I found out if you attempt to type fast, they don't always recognize pressure, but if you just type slowly and evenly, they appear to work just fine.

Yes, it's hideous sitting on top of the 400, but if it had a long cord it could be a cool peripheral. BITD someone dumped a lot of 1200XL keyboards and my friend Lance got some and sold them at a CHAOS meeting. He gave me one and I wired it to my 800 with a 3 foot ribbon cable. It was nice being able to type on my lap. So that would make a nice extension keyboard for a 400 without spoiling the 400's cool looks.

• Like 5

Going to quote some descriptive select words from the masses... :lol:

Well, love it or hate it, this beautifully hideous, heinous, awkward, ugly and big unit SOLD. All packaged up with layers of bubble wrap, snuggled in a blanket of popcorn, encased by a wall of styrofoam. It'll be on it's way to it's new owner tomorrow.

Somewhat sad in a way to see it go, especially with the time spent on it and the mods, but I'm a ATARI collecting hobbyist who keeps what he wants, sells what he doesn't, and am ready for the next project(s).

I've got "more fish to fry" or is it More Atari's to Save!?!?! :grin:

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 2