IGNORED

POLL: Interested in more ADAM Super Game conversions?

NIAD

To convert or not to convert  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy?

• Donkey Kong Super Game
    • Donkey Kong Junior Super Game (5 screen version)
    • SubRoc Super Game
    • DK & DK Jr. Super Games
    • DK & SubRoc Super Games
    • DK Jr. & SubRoc Super Games
    • Would buy all three (DK, DK Jr. & SubRoc)
  2. 2. What style box, manual and cart label?

• With permission, Team PixelBoy style
    • Coleco style box with Arcade Cabinet pictured
    • CBS Electronics style box with all new artwork

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Complete in box for sure!

And it looks so far like it will be a Coleco style box with an Arcade Cabinet pictured as well as a CBS box style, but there's a long way to go and still a lot of people that need to place their votes.

So far 35 votes for Donkey Kong - Super Game... not to bad for a couple days.

If in the meantime, Opcode returns and releases DKA, that will be a bridge that will have to be crossed at that time. Don't worry though, I'm not gonna waver in my committment to seeing this endeavor through even if it means a smaller production run than PixelBoy's usual of 100 to 150.

Just looked at the DK - SG disk image and it definetly is smaller in size at 95K compared to the beast that is Buck Rogers - SG at about 160K. Either way to disassemble and trace everything out takes a very rare talent and dedication.

The point was that I don't JUST have a ColecoVision.

I read you loud and clear the first time, but it sounded like you felt a little left out by not owning a ColecoVision so I tried my best to cheer you up with the fact that a ColecoVision resides inside your ADAM. :-D

Even better, it already comes ready for Composite Video output... no modding needed!

I've considered pushing for Hard Hat Mack and actually spent the time looking at the code to see if it was actually developed as cartridge based software and then converted to ADAM format like A.E. and ChopLifter were, it isn't, but there are the three games in this poll that are a lot better choices. Pinball Construction Kit would probably be a nightmare and with the need to save your work... the user designed pinball games are roughly 11K in size when saved IIRC so a fairly large SaveRAM would be needed. The only other ADAM game(s) would be The Best of B.C. seeing as there are added animation screens, high score tables and added mountain levels in Grog's Revenge... but I don't think there is enough to warrant the amount of worked needed to convert it, not the interest from the community. There is also "The Dam Busters - Super Game" and "2010 - The Text Adventure" which are not going to happen.

I'd say if DK, DK Jr. and SubRoc all eventually get converted, then I would have to take a serious look at what's left. Actually some ADAM Homebrews would be very good games to look at, but then there are further complications that would be encountered in converting them like the fact that most were developed in SmartBASIC and the better ones require the 64K Memory Expander to work.

I'd say if DK, DK Jr. and SubRoc all eventually get converted, then I would have to take a serious look at what's left. Actually some ADAM Homebrews would be very good games to look at, but then there are further complications that would be encountered in converting them like the fact that most were developed in SmartBASIC and the better ones require the 64K Memory Expander to work.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the 8+ kilobytes required for saving the player's progress, Adam Bomb II would be a strong candidate for a DDP-to-cartridge conversion. :)

Yeah, if it wasn't for the 8+ kilobytes required for saving the player's progress, Adam Bomb II would be a strong candidate for a DDP-to-cartridge conversion. :)

Indeed. ADAM Bomb II is reason enough for people to setup ADAMem, Virtual ADAM or MESS on their computer if they don't want to take the plunge into ADAM Computer ownership. Tell you what, MicroChip (a PiCross game that was again programmed by Steve Pitman) would be another great game although I already played through all the puzzles... I seem to recall there being 100. Like Nintendo did by making Mario's PiCross, the ColecoVision version could be enhanced with famous CV characters such as CPK, the penguin from AA, Smurf, etc.

• Like 2

So far:

Donkey Kong - Super Game = 39

Donkey Kong Junior - Super Game (5 screen version) = 43

SubRoc - Super Game = 37

I figure it would take at least a number of 100 to make it worthwhile to convert and then produce a CIB run, but maybe 75 would still be doable depending on what CollectorVision thinks.

Come on people, cast your votes!

So far:

SubRoc - Super Game = 37

I figure it would take at least a number of 100 to make it worthwhile to convert and then produce a CIB run, but maybe 75 would still be doable depending on what CollectorVision thinks.

Well, to be fair that is the number of people interested in the carts not the number of carts to be sold. Many people will buy more than 1 cart, so you might want to start a second poll for number of carts now that you know the number of people interested.

Troy

So far:

SubRoc - Super Game = 37

You shouldn't let this poll be a meter for actual interest, for three reasons:

1) Many of those who already own a SGM are not regular visitors to this forum.

2) Many others who do not have a SGM (yet) won't bother themselves to answer this poll since Eduardo has been MIA for so long.

3) I suspect that a certain portion of potential buyers of these Adam conversions are afraid that Eduardo may be lurking and that he may react negatively to the results of the poll, and they don't want to add oil to the fire by casting their votes. Of course, I may be totally wrong here, mind you...

The bottom line is that I didn't need to run a poll to decide to publish Buck Rogers Super Game and I managed to sell 100 copies so far. I will probably sell quite a few more if Eduardo comes back and goes ahead with the second run of SGMs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the words of wisdom Luc. I understand completely and more so than anything I was just hoping to spur on some more people to cast votes or say not interested. BTW it's add "fuel to the fire", not oil, even though oil is a fuel... so you were in the ballpark. Hmmm, maybe that's how the saying goes in Canada.

As far as Eduardo, that would be a terrible shame if he took the possible ADAM conversion as an a-front to his DKA. It would also be yet another turn off for the community concerning him, but I don't thing this will be an issue in any way, shape or form. Heck, I know full well how tremendous I DKA will/can be from being fortunate enough to possess demo cart of it for a couple weeks to show off at Adamcon two years ago.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Luc. I understand completely and more so than anything I was just hoping to spur on some more people to cast votes or say not interested. BTW it's add "fuel to the fire", not oil, even though oil is a fuel... so you were in the ballpark. Hmmm, maybe that's how the saying goes in Canada.

I wrote that in a hurry without really thinking about it. As J-F said above, we tend to say "oil" ("huile") instead of "fuel" in Quebec for that particular saying, when we say it in French. ;)

As far as Eduardo, that would be a terrible shame if he took the possible ADAM conversion as an a-front to his DKA. It would also be yet another turn off for the community concerning him, but I don't thing this will be an issue in any way, shape or form. Heck, I know full well how tremendous I DKA will/can be from being fortunate enough to possess demo cart of it for a couple weeks to show off at Adamcon two years ago.

If there's something that this poll has clearly demonstrated, it's that SGM owners don't mind purchasing both versions of DK (the Adam conversion and Eduardo's arcade port) if only to have a complete collection of all the SGM games released. The Adam version has a certain historical/nostalgic value for many people, while DKA offers a straight-from-the-arcade experience, which is the ultimate experience for any ColecoVision fan. So I don't consider them as completing products, although I imagine that a few people out there could disagree. :)

• Like 1

I voted for all 3. As an owner of the SGM It would be irresponsible of me not to buy at least 1 copy of each & every Super Game Module Game that came out. So Obviously I would also buy Opcodes Super Donkey Kong as well. I look forward to it when it becomes available.

I wish I could afford every homebrew that comes out but I would defiantly be in for these.

• 2 weeks later...

How cool would it be to have Mystery Man hack the ADAM version of Super Donkey Kong into Crazy Kong? Anyone remember that game? OK it might not ever happen and I won't hold my breath, but I would buy it in a heatbeat! Except for MAME I don't know of any system that got a port of Crazy Kong. I could be wrong, but it would still be cool to play it on the CV.

How cool would it be to have Mystery Man hack the ADAM version of Super Donkey Kong into Crazy Kong? Anyone remember that game? OK it might not ever happen and I won't hold my breath, but I would buy it in a heatbeat! Except for MAME I don't know of any system that got a port of Crazy Kong. I could be wrong, but it would still be cool to play it on the CV.

There are 2 version of Crazy Kong on C64. I think there is also on ZX81 , and surely few other plateforms. But i don't remember a good version. :(