IGNORED

30th Anniversary of Punch-Out!

VectorGamer

This month we acknowledge the 30 year anniversary of the arcade game Punch-Out!! being released. Punch-Out!! was released in Japan in February of 1984 and then in America a little later that year. It was such a success that a sequel, Super Punch-Out!!, was released in Japan in September of 1984 then coming to America the following year. The franchise has gone on to great success especially with Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! for the NES in 1987, but it all started with the original arcade Punch-Out!!

More: http://oldschool.tblog.com/post/1971214969

Inb4 thx 4 the virus OP

This wasn't a game that really interested me, but I do have very distinct memories of seeing this game for the first time on the Wildwood boardwalk during one of our summer vacations. I remember virtually every arcade having two or three of these lined up right at the front entrance.

I'm a huge fan of the NES game but I don't really get the arcade game. I find myself just mashing buttons and losing. Is there actually technique to this game like on the NES?

Pretty sure it's the same concept as the rest of the series. Punch in a couple directions, expose enemies' weak points, block or dodge their attacks. Probably just have to get used to how it feels.

Here's a generic strategy page. Gives some good tips but they don't always work exactly the way the author states.

Why is it I'm the only one in the universe that thinks Kid Quick is a hard opponent? I can rarely beat him yet every website states he's a waste of pixels and programming...

Edited by ClassicGMR

Here's a generic strategy page. Gives some good tips but they don't always work exactly the way the author states.

Why is it I'm the only one in the universe that thinks Kid Quick is a hard opponent? I can rarely beat him yet every website states he's a waste of pixels and programming...

I did not read the linked strategy guide, but Kid Quick can be beaten very quickly, no pun intended. Use the high right punch only, dodge after he blocks/punches... do this a few times, you never take a punch, he stays down on the first knockdown.

:)

I too, remember seeing this for the first time on a boardwalk, though I can't remember if it was Wildwood or Seaside Heights. Either way, I've loved it since then.